NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
James Gallo

Default Has anyone ever soaked a Baseball Magazine Premium

I have a Scalk on a horrible piece of paper, but it is glued down pretty well. Has anyone ever tried to soak one of these? Results?

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 01-08-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Frank Wakefield

Yes. And it can be done...

Drying it is the challenge. The last few times I soaked one I softly blotted it with a dishcloth to absorb as much water as I could. Have some paper changes ready so you can dry it and avoid wrinkles. Be patient and careful when moving it from water, so as not to tear it.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Yes. And it can be done...

Drying it is the challenge. The last few times I soaked one I softly blotted it with a dishcloth to absorb as much water as I could. Have some paper changes ready so you can dry it and avoid wrinkles. Be patient and careful when moving it from water, so as not to tear it.
Frank, this is interesting. Since these are photogravures, I'm not surprised that water will not damage the actual image, but it is surprising that the paper can recover. I collect Curtis (and other) photogravures, so this information is nice to know, although I can't imagine getting water on them.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Frank - what do you think of soaking this one? Any advice is appreciated, as I really need to remove the newspaper addition:

Last edited by Runscott; 01-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Frank Wakefield

Scott...

First, let me mention something to refrain from doing. Something will either soak, or it won't. Sometimes folks dab a little water on a card to loosen something or wash something away, their thinking is that a little water might not hurt as much as a dousing. The result is a watermark, a wavy line, or several, showing where the damp met dry... so I don't think a partial soaking is much good.

Now for what to do. The piece with the newsprint on it has a torn corner. Where that tear meets the right edge there is a small amount of paper that juts up above the tear. If it were me, and I had no idea if that would soak or not, I'd tear off that little tiny piece and soak in in water for half a day or so. Then I'd attempt to blot it and dry it. If it soak ok, then I'd put that big piece in a big piece of Tupperware, a CLEAN baking sheet with raised edges, or something similar. I'd soak the entire piece for half an hour or so, then see how the newsprint is doing. I'd think it would loosen and separate from the bigger piece. It would soak to pieces eventually, so carefully fish it out if you're wanting to save the newsprint. That piece of newsprint is likely to have left an acidic mark on the big piece, unless it is really old newsprint. So it needs to come off of there. I'd change water a time or two, and rinse the thing off well. If much of a mark remains then that newsprint was acidic, might consider a pinch of baking soda in one of the water changes to buffer the acidity briefly, then another clean soak.

One way of thinking about that big piece is that the longer the newsprint stays attached, the more damage it will cause.

Hopefully it's on there with flour paste, so it will soak right off. It could be on there with some meaner material, that could be a problem.

Hope that helps. FW
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Frank - very helpful. When you originally responded to the initial post, I never thought I would end up dealing with something similar.

I won't have this piece for a week or two, but look forward to posting pics of the process.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Frank - what do you think about using an iron? I removed an old supplement from a backing a few days ago that was glued at each corner by using a thin towel and an hot iron. It worked like on charm.

Doug
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Frank Wakefield

Hey Doug,

I've yet to try that. I did think about it once when looking at bits of old, broken rubber band stuck to a 1933 Goudey.

Sounds like it worked well for you. The glue / paste / adhesive that confronts you would be a factor. Anything that works is good.

Scott, let us know how it goes, please.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Doug Goodman

I have a couple of supplements that I would like to remove from the backing, but the whole concept of submerging them in water scares me. That having been said, I also feel like the heat from an iron could help to make them more brittle, although it didn't seem to have that effect on the one I removed the other day.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-20-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I have a couple of supplements that I would like to remove from the backing, but the whole concept of submerging them in water scares me. That having been said, I also feel like the heat from an iron couple help to make them more brittle, although it didn't seem to have that effect on the one I removed the other day.

Doug
I appreciate the idea - I'll let you know what happens.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

Doug, try soaking a beater if you have one.

The first card I soaked was a T206. I did it after being assured, for a couple of years or so as I recall, that it would be ok. The gentleman had told me about soaking scrapbook sheets in a bathtub overnight, with no problems. When I finally decided to try it, I didn't soak the card that had paper stuck on the back, I soaked a beater T206 to see what happened. It sat in the water fine, came out fine, dried well... everything was great. So then I tried the card that had the extra stuff pasted to its backside. That went well, too. Point is to soak something you could live with losing to get over the anxiety of it.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Doug, try soaking a beater if you have one ... Point is to soak something you could live with losing to get over the anxiety of it.
That's a very good idea that I should have thought of. I have a couple duplicate Police Gazette supplements that are stuck to things that I can experiment with.

Doug
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Job done on the National Copper Plate supplement. The semi-glossy surface made this very easy - very similar to just soaking a T206, but even easier.

The glue was not the simple stuff where the unwanted paper slips right off, but it wasn't the impossible stuff either - it required gently tugging and scraping. Glue had been applied only along the left margin of the Sporting Life newspaper photo, about 1/2"- 3/4", very heavily. I started by dipping that part of the supplement in a tray of water, but eventually just fully submerged the entire thing and let it soak. There was a tough area where the glue didn't want to let go - I lost two small spots of the black border lines.

The EASY part was drying it. The soaking even took several creases out. I kept blotting with typing paper until it was completely dry and flat - there was no warping at all. I then put it in a large piece of blotting paper and weighted it down under some books for about 2 hours. Job done. Just the two small bits of paper loss, a touch of glue residue, and some minor staining where the newspaper picture had been.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Doug Goodman

Congrats, Scott
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Doug. The key was the semi-glossy surface. I think most supplements would have warped.