NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: T206Collector

...to remain civil in the face of such sarcasm, but here goes.

Rob D.: I sent you an e-mail. In light of your two sarcastic posts about me, I would appreciate a response. Please let me know on here if you do not intend to respond.

Wonka: My point was purely that it was interesting for some of us to discuss Planks last year and it is again interesting for us (okay, maybe just me and Adam) to discuss Planks this year. If you'd rather Adam and I keep it to personal e-mails, that's fair. But I hardly think it's off topic.

Saying "Yawn" is just rude. Saying it twice is also plain rude. Can you see where I am coming from?

Last time we went back and forth on a thread, I am sure you anihilated me with your scintillating sarcasm, beautiful prose and expert photo shopping, but I thought we agreed to just mutually dislike each other and move on. I would prefer to carry that mutual dislike into a productive e-mail exchange. If you'd rather not bother, then please leave me alone on here. Thanks.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com this month as we count down 4 Magies, 2 Wagners and a Plank!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Adam, that's a beautiful Plank. Congrats.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Adam

Thanks, I am thinking of taking a T206 common and carefully removing the "fibers" from that card and then rebuilding the corners of my Plank so I can sell it for a fortune. It'll be my weekend project. lol

Old 04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Adam,

I think you got that Plank for a steal. Do you have scans of your new-found Magie to post? I haven't seen it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com this month as we count down 4 Magies, 2 Wagners and a Plank!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

This is the Magie I recently bought, it came in early this week. It's the 3rd Magie I have owned.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

That is a beautiful Magie. Do you have any aspirations of ever owning a Wagner?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

I have never had a desire to own a Wagner. I am not quite sure why . . . it's just never been a card I wanted (and it still isn't).

Old 04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Adam- That's an interesting statement from someone who just conquered Plank and Magie in the past month. But I think I see what you mean. It is kind of like Wonka said earlier: Wagner has always been at a price point above all reasonable likelihood of purchase for me. I used to think I would sell my T206 set one day -- an all SGC 60 set was once the goal -- and then be able to afford Ole Honus. But I "settled" for dumpin most of my SGC 40ish average set in order to just get a Plank, Magie and some signed cards.

But given where Wagner Beckett 1's appear headed, I'm pretty sure the sum total of any collection I amass in this lifetime won't be trade-upable for one. But I don't lose sleep over it either.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Paul, not all of us are yawning during this thread. I find it fascinating and educational and the topic is a refreshing change from some of the threads that have come up recently.

The links and scans are very helpful.

Thanks much!

Rick

Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

...for the supportive comments.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 04-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: John

Adam amazing cards! Congrats that Plank looks really sharp for the grade so does the Magie, both cards have very nice eye appeal.

Rick don’t get me wrong, I love talking T206's especially the big 3. It just gets a bit old for some of us when we have to hear a re-cap of the past years same auction over and over and over from Paul. Were all very happy for him and his decision to buy the card...I think some of us are ready for the next topic doesn't circle back to Paul and how smart he is for buying the Plank that’s all.

Cheers,

John

Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Rob D.

Rick,

Like John, I've enjoyed this thread and in fact prefer ones like this more than, say, "What's (player's name) rookie card?" -- although I certainly can see the need for those, too. Just not my cup of tea, that's all.

As for the seemingly monthly recaps of how Lionel Carter's Plank changed hands last year, the first time I read of Paul's acquisition, I was truly happy for him that he had landed a card he obviously wanted very much -- especially when it took the sacrificing of a major part of his collection.

I'd say the second and third times I read of how the Plank was acquired, and the decision-making process that was involved and how, when you consider all things, it really was a very shrewd move, I thought, "Wow, this truly was a big moment in a collector's life."

After the fifth time I simply found these rehashes tiresome. Maybe I'm in the minority. If so, that's fine. But I'm just of the opinion that any time a discussion of the Big 3 pops up, contributing to the discussion doesn't always have to be preceded by "When I decided to try to acquire Lionel Carter's Plank ..."

Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Paul,

Your e-mail to me stated: "Why your post?" I assumed it was a rhetorical question, that surely you'd understand my meaning (which apparently you did), so I didn't respond. If you'd really like a reply, I suppose I could e-mail you this response so you'd have duplicate copies.

Because I don't want to push you further to the brink of uncivilized behavior, I'll lay off the sarcasm. You've no doubt suffered enough. (Dang it, that's the last time. Promise.)

Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

Story in reverse......after many years of putting together a 521 card T206 set. I sold my Vg MAGIE
for 2000....back in 1997....because I wanted to start a 2nd T206 set. And, that 2000 bought me a
lot of T206's back then. So, I completed a 520 card set. Then I broke-up that 2nd set to complete
a 519 card all-PIEDMONT set. Then I started and completed a 409 card all-SOVEREIGN set.

Perhaps, my thinking is "weird", but I'd rather experience the continuous enjoyment of having 521, or
520, or 519, or 409 cards from a set....than just one, two, or three cards (forget the Doyle....6 exist,
and I don't think we'll see another one).

T-Rex TED

Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Ted, your experience is very typical of one way of thought. Unfortunately, I go back and forth between wanting full sets and then wanting certain player cards only. Very very hard to keep a singular focus the whole way through a collecting life. I only wish I could maintain focus without switching -- would save me a lot of money.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

Well, my primary goal in this hobby has always been to complete sets....I guess it's an obsession
with me. And, this was the mindset with most collectors back in the 1970's thru the 1980's. But,
like you, I also go after "type" players. As a kid, reading books on the NY Highlanders, I was im-
pressed with Mr Chase. So, I had to have a type set of his cards.

In 1949 when Johnny Lindell hit the game, and Pennant winning HR (vs the Red Sox), I had to have
all his BB cards.

And, so on and so forth.....OK, why do you favor Mr Chase ?

TED Z

Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

...with you Ted. I'd much rather have the 521 than just a few cards, and I will be headed back up that mountain ...eventually.

There are a lot of repeat stories on here. If I had a nickel for every time I wrote "professional grading is like a pyramid," I'd have enough for a cup of really good coffee. The Plank and my efforts to acquire it define everything about my unsigned collection, at least currently. Unfortunately for the regulars, most of the time that I relate to a thread about the Big 3 or 4, or strategies for collecting sets, it comes up. I am genuinely not trying to brag about it, but I am quite proud of it -- a fine line, I suppose.

I do want to mention also that I started my website shortly after I had my article on signed T206 cards significantly edited by Old Cardboard magazine. Rather than publish it in a way that I didn't really like, I decided to just post it on my website. Everything else just grew from that concept.

I think most of the negativism toward my website -- and perhaps by extension me -- arises from a discussion of a signed T206 Walter Johnson card that an ebay seller wanted to have shown on my website as a condition of an off-ebay sale. Obviously it's just a collector site, but I think some people took exception to the way that sale went down (or rather didn't go down) and to the notion that a posting on my meager website could possibly motivate a seller to sell a card of that magnitude. I didn't make the story up, but it caused some LMFAOs among the usual suspects.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Ahh Ted...I wish I had a rational answer for my attraction to Chase. Such a fascinating story, a common criminal in a baseball era filled with criminals -- yet he was the worst. His story is so incredible it would almost appear as if it were made up out of whole cloth. And a guy thought of as one of the greatest players of his era -- who received more Hall of Fame votes for the first class in 1936 than John McGraw, Mordecai Brown, Bill Terry, Frank Chance, Johnny Evers, Sam Crawford and Frank Baker. And one less than Lefty Grove. And in his second year of eligibility for the HOF his vote total increased as was typical. His third year of eligiblity? Received zero votes! Yet he remains virtually unknown to the average baseball fan today. His story just fascinates me endlessly. And his cards are a bit cheaper than Cobb's.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Scott B.

Adam, nice Plank and Magie!! I love them.

Do you mind to tell us where did u buy them from? and their prices?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Scott, Feel free to email me privately at aamoniz@yahoo.com and I will be glad to answer your first question.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: Eric

My PSA 1 Magie is still available for $10K

Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

LOL

Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: MVSNYC

"...Unfortunately, I go back and forth between wanting full sets and then wanting certain player cards only. Very very hard to keep a singular focus the whole way through a collecting life. I only wish I could maintain focus without switching..."

Jeff- i couldn't agree more...this is the big question that i toil with non-stop...

quantity vs. quality...set building vs. "the 25 card collection"...or simply players i like (like you with cobb & chase)...

so, i'm not sure what the right answer is for me...for the time being, i think it's a handful of high-quality pieces...

but i'm sure that will change once again.

dinner/drinks mon or tues?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: barrysloate

Monday or Tuesday is fine with me, but we don't have much of a group put together.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Wow on the Heritage Plank and Magie, I did not think they would climb at the last minute, but they just did.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

The Magie is very nice for the condition -- I think I spot a bit of paper loss on the reverse, but otherwise a very clean card. Given that the VG 3 in REA is up to $17K (w/o juice), a SGC 30 hitting $10K (w/o juice) isn't that surprising to me. The lower grade Magies in REA are not moving up nearly as quickly (or even at all over the past week or so).

But $60K for a VG 3 Plank is a pretty big jump for that card over the past year or so. It will be interesting to see where it winds up over the coming hours.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

WOW, 77k on the Plank. Wow.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

I think the Plank is being valued much higher than a 3; it's just about the nicest 3 I've ever seen as the image is perfect and uncreased or damaged in any way.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

...that the card is being valued as a really clean example of an SGC 40 card, but I would like to add that every single SGC 40 card I have ever owned with corners like that had a wrinkle somewhere. SGC does not go to 40 on a T206 card with corners like that unless there is another imperfection.

Frankly, if they did go to 40 that time, it would be a no brainer to have it regraded. But, obviously, SGC took its time grading a T206 Plank.

In short, I think there's a wrinkle. Or perhaps a spot of paper loss on a non-text portion of the back.

In any event, beautiful card -- $77K! Wow!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Top right corner on front is a bit rough and looks like there may be a bit of paper loss on the "s" at the end of "cigarettes" on the back. I think 3 is the right grade. It's certainly a nice 3 though. Great card for whoever grabs it (hope it's someone on the board).

Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: cmoking

I agree with Adam. I have a bunch of SGC 50 T206s, and none of them have corners that bad. Of course, it is still a fantastic card with great eye-appeal...but that price is an eye-opener!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

227k for the Heritage Wagner. Amazing.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Posted By: JimB

The Plank has paper loss on the back in the upper right. Still a very attractive card.
JimB

Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

...it didn't have the paper loss on reverse.

Here's a couple of rough cornered SGC cards with higher grades for being clean otherwise. I will say that I do think the Schreck is a weak 60.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

That Plank is gorgeous, but I think it is a high-end 3, even without the back paper loss. The upper right corner is too rough for a 4 in my opinion.

Paul,
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think your Schreck is overgraded. Should be 50 IMHO. I could post scans of some of my cards in SGC 50 holders that should be 84s on that scale.
JimB

Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Jim, I think by traditional grading standards the Plank is a 3, agreed, due to the corners and, of course, the paper loss. But rarely does one find a 3 that has the image of the player as clear or bright as that Plank does. My point is that I don't think the price that was paid for the Plank last night should at all be used as a touchstone for the next Plank 3 -- which could have a crease running through the face. Just like there are 1s that are really .2s, that Plank 3 was more like a 3.8.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Big 3

Jeff,
I agree. Based on eye-appeal, the card is stunning. I would love to own it! Looks like Wagners and Planks both went up in value this week.
JimB