NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Matthew R

I recently sold a 600 hundred dollars worth of cards on the bay and was just hit with a 70 dollar charge from final value fees and listing fees. That's insane! The final value fees on that site are absolutely ridculous. I feel sorry for the people selling high end stuff and are continuosly raped with ebay fees. Now, the question I have is why cant a place like net54 or the PSA boards open up their own auction site, strictly for selling cardboard? The final value fees would be reduced to 1.5 or 2% and the listing fees would be cheaper. I know there is a B/S/T section, but that is not the same as an actual auction. I also realize there are other auction sites besides Ebay, but they are all terrible and no one would ever list anything of value on them. Well, that's my angry ebay rant. (There would probably be alot of money in it for the group or site that runs the auctions)

Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: steve yawitz

Why feel sorry for people who voluntarily enter into a business relationship with eBay, which certainly does not conceal its fee structure? I don't like the fees either - and resent how eBay is heavy-handed in some areas while committed to a laissez-faire attitude in others - but they're not an unreasonable price to pay for that level of access to a basically democractic marketplace. I seriously doubt that a CU or an N54 or a whatever auction site would yield the same results that most sellers obtain on eBay - at least in terms of long-term average. And I'm virtually certain that very few hobbyists want to return to the feudal system that existed before eBay and the internets revolutionized the marketplace.

http://imageevent.com/yawie99

Old 05-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

"I also realize there are other auction sites besides Ebay, but they are all terrible and no one would ever list anything of value on them."

I think someone once said that you get what you pay for.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Steve

70.00 dollars in FVF for 200.00 in sales? Are you sure?

I think your math is off.

Steve

Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Matt

It's possible I suppose if you pay for enough listing upgrades.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: jay wolt

How did you list these lots?

The eBay insertion fee for any lot starting at $50 to $199.99 is $2.00
$200.00 to $499.99 is $3.00

The final value fee is 8.75% up to $25.00
then 3.5% the remaining way to $1000.00
And Paypal's cut is about 3%

Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Red

Listing upgrades are a complete waste. Just list it without the bells and whistles and the real buyers will find it just the same. Yahoo used to have auctions with no fees for the seller or buyer. It was a big flop. You get what you pay for. It's worth paying Ebay because buyers will see your item. What's better? No fees on the old Yahoo system and your $100 wholesale card sells for $50, or 10% Ebay fees and your card sells for the $100 it should. Pay your Ebay fees and be thankful you're talented enough not to have to give your stuff to the catalog auctions and give up 20-35 percent.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: dan mckee

I think he meant $7 instead of $70

Old 05-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

I sold around $600 worth of cards sorry.

I still think it's would be a good idea though. I would say alot of vintage card collectors do read some sort of message board and would eventually alot of people would discover the auctions.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Tim

I think if your name is Matt or some form of it, you have to feel like "The Man" is out to get you.

<Joke>

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Tim - I believe that is the same Matt(plifter) - just a new username.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

I have no relation to Plifter. It wouldnt make sense why would he create a username with the exact same name only with a thew attatched to it. Please dont associate me with him.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

now I'm confused...

Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Joseph Shirley

It is just like commercial retail property. The locations that have the highest buyer traffic, can charge the highest rent. Ebay is the top location, and they will keep raising the rent as long as the market will bear it and the buyer traffic supports it. Seller's will have to figure out how to manage the costs to stay there, or move to another location that has lower rent but less exposure. Like it or not, business is survival of the fittest.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Jim Dale

If someone could make money running an auction site for 2% they would. Auction houses the last time I saw charged as much if not more? Of course you get service from them, but then ebay also provides eyeballs.

If its such a big expense and there is so much money to be made then explain to me why Microsoft hasn't been able to pull it off, or Yahoo (tried and failed), or anyone else for that matter?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Steve

Tim - I believe that is the same Matt(plifter) - just a new username.

I think so too. Not that it matters

both have a last name that starts with an R.

Just a coincidence. I guess.

Now I have to hope the stupid dog doesn't bite me again.

Steve

Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Tim Kinserlow

Steve,

I believe you are right, it's plifter back under another user id. No surprise, he has done it on here with the id of FreddyMercury as well.

Same writing style, and the SBC Global email was used by him for email in other places, too.

EDIT: spell

Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: leon

We moderators realize that some of these posts by people that no one knows could be someone else. We'll step in when we feel we need to...

Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

I dont think I really need to prove that I am not him, and I dont think there is a way I can. The only reason I created this account was to sell some t206s I won in a lot on the B/S/T. Out of curiosity what do you belive is similar with our writing styles?

speling

Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Jim VB

Matt,

Were the Ebay fees a surprise to you, or were they at the rate you had agreed upon beforehand?

Selling anything costs money. (Personally, I find 6% to sell a house ridiculous. It seemed reasonable when my first condo sold for $69,000 in 1985. Seems high on property over a million, but what can you do?)

Ebay, as painful as it is sometimes, is so far superior to anything else that exists, and anything that existed before, that the cost seems reasonable to me. Prior to Ebay, searching for a specific card involved hours of travel and hours of working shows and infrequent success. Now, most things are available more readily.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Darren

In the "good ole days" if you got %50 of a card's value from a dealer you were lucky. Unless you set up at a show or had a mail order catalog, selling to a dealer was pretty much the only way to trade cards for cash.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Posted By: Kyle

This is a great website that calculates your earnings from eBay:

http://ebcalc.com/

Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default I hate feebay

Kyle - that's a great tool!