NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions on sending cards in for Grading

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I curious and would like opinions on the following:

If you buy a raw card or cards from an individual at a certain grade (say EX) and you send the card or cards in for grading and they fall at least 2 grades below the agreed grade of sale. Does this warrant the buyer going back to the seller and asking for a refund?

I know understand that this should be done by the naked eye before sending it off to get graded, but I also know that some transaction happen with the card actually being graded a certain grade. I also feel myself that a one grade swing is acceptable and if the card comes back higher you are not going to give them more money.

Opinions please

Lee

Old 12-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scottopotamus

I automatically assume the low grade T206's I buy will actually be at least one grade lower than advertised.

For your specific instance, I would think that any refund scenarios should be discussed before the sale is completed.

...just my two cents...

Scottoptamus
My T206 Web Site

http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus

Old 12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1101545460&lp=1101858589

Old 12-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

The buyer should look at the cards before purchasing them. Unless there is an agreement up front that the cards will grade at a cerain level by a certain grading company, I don't think the seller has any resposnibility to take it back.
JimB

Old 12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

NO. you are buying so you grade the card. If you think it is a lesser grade when you receive it, then return it. Do not return it because someone who may not know that it is a baseball card says it is a lower grade.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Deja veau all over again.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

Caveat emptor, semper.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymon

...listed and shown as raw EX on e-bay.
It arrived in an SGC VG/40 holder.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Described as EXMT and it came back from SGC and even PRO as trimmed.
True story. I didn't think PRO rejected anything for trimming but they did. The funny thing is you can look at the card and think maybe it is trimmed but you are not sure, as opposed to most of the cards slabbed in PRO holders which even Stevie Wonder could spot as trimmed.(Pardon the politically incorrect reference, Stevie)...

Old 12-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I bet you didn't know that Stevie has his wife read this board to him every night before he goes to sleep.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Administrator

I had a feeling the other thread would be brought up. It is a scenario that was in my lap about 2 years ago, when I bought some cards from Dolloff (still uses a copy machine), not one card came back even one grade less they were 2 or 3 and 2 of them I didn't even get graded because I didn't feel they would be close. I chaulked it up as a lesson learned and will not buy anything from them again. It is one of the reasons I have hard time buying from dealers I do not know.

I had the question at that time and thought I would post it now. I personally hate having to return cards because you are out your postage both ways and you have to be concerned whether you will receive your money.

Lee

Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Most of yous know cards w/o needing someone to grade it. Of course ...if you are doing it for profit and it doesn't grade what was stated , you should have looked at it more closely , it is your responsibility.

As a collector , I again must be totally satisfied and/ or appreciative of a certain rarity and then may give it the benefit of the doubt. Good Evening

Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

When I buy a raw card I do not expect it to receive the grade that the seller gave it from a third party grading service -- and I when I sell a card and offer my grade I only say that is the grade I would give it.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Unless you are going to share with the seller the profit which you made by buying a card which graded higher than you anticipated, you can't try to stick the seller if it comes in lower than you thought it would. If you haven't been seriously misled somehow, it seems to me that you are then the owner of a card that isn't as nice as you thought it was. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt, didn't like it. However, fair is fair. Then again, I wouldn't send it in to begin with because I hate the entire concept of graded cards. So it goes.

Kenny

Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Administrator

If you tried and have not won -
Try try try try try ---- Again.

To slab, or not to slab.
Per chance to get a higher grade.
If not -- will the seller refund my shipping also?

The life of a slabhead is not easy.
Why can't I be a stupid collector?

Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

murcer, SGC is just brutal on N2s and anything else Indian related. Just ask Kieth O'Leary. The highest grade I ever got for any of my N2s was, remarkable, the Chief Gall error that got an 80. I sold the card for $800 Only one other card got a 70, and that was an N36 Man & Chief. Otherwise, cards that most everything else has come back 60s or lower. And I've seen N28s and N29s that look far worse than most of N2s I had, but the baseball cards always had higher grades.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but SGC is jsut brutal on none sports issues.

Jay

The difference between genius and insanity is acceptance.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Old 12-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Administrator

sending cards in for grading is a crap shoot and you always get some back you can't believe got the grade it did. I still think that it is not that expensive to get the card in a nice holder. If you get a high grade it's a bonus.

Hopefully the gods aren't too angry with me.

Lee

Old 12-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Smile upon you.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: thomas mcconnell

what if you bought 5 cards from a well known and respected dealer and you bought them near mnt and piad nrmnt price and they came back 40 s and 60s and 1 with evidence of trimmed?

Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: al davis

i've always considered the difference in price between a raw card and the same card in slabbed form to be the price of insurance (that you're really getting what the seller claims). why should you be afforded the benefit of insurance for an ungraded card when you haven't paid for it up front?