NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Default Information about C.A.R.D.S. Organization

Posted By: Robert Plancich

I have received several emails inquiring about information on the Collectors Alliance for Reform and Disciplinary Sanctions. Basically the organization is an alliance of collectors, dealers and anyone else interested in bringing about change to this industry. Questions have been asked regarding how many members, etc. and I haved declined to provide specifics because the auction houses and the so-called experts and/or authenticators will use their power to "blackball" an individual and/or dealers items. For example, I received an email from one Network 54 member and he/she stated that his/her MastroNet bidding privleges were revoked for questioning the authenticity of one of their lots. I have heard that my name is basically "mud" in the "hobby" and MastroNet stopped sending me their catalogs quite some time ago. As I have stated previously, The only person that I can email at PSA is Joe Orlando the president and when I do email him he threatens to sue me for haarrassment. So I really don't have much to lose at this point; however, I don't want what they have done to me happen to another individual. Therefore, if anyone has any information about anything that they would like to have checked out or researched, anything that they submit to me is held in strict confidence. I hope to have a website in the not so distant future. Another question was raised regarding baseball cards and wanted to know if C.A.R.D.S. efforts extended to them or merely focused on baseball memorabilia and the answer is "yes".

Although the primary focus is on baseball, CARDS is interested in all sports and welcomes any and all information, inquiries and comments, for or against, pro and con. I hope this gives you a little better insight into what I am trying to accomplish. Should you have any additional questions regarding the above please do not hesitate to contact me. Again, I would like to thank the members of Network 54 for their time and consideration of this matter.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

This sounds like one of the organizations described in that book. You better be careful or "They" might start contacting you, and once in "Their" clutches, you can never get away! Collecting cards won't be any fun at all if you have to wear a black suit and dark sunglasses at the conventions.

Just in case, I'm going to start calling you "R".

Old 12-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Robert--You have made alot of claims against people in the last few days. Perhaps before you go any further it would be prudent to educate the board as to who you are and what your background is. What makes you qualified to make determinations as to the authenticity of sports memorabilia?

Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I agree with Jay. Many people have taken similar stances as yourself in the past and while many of your claims that there are improprities in the hobby are undoubtedly true, you may be going a bit overboard with some of your statements. Some former "hobby cops" have been laughed out of the business for taking extreme positions on virtually all memorabilia. Perhaps a more balanced approach to problems in the industry would hold more credibility.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

So what's your angle? How are you looking to be paid? After you bring down all the major auction houses and current authenticators for making an error or two in the thousands of items they've handled over the years, what will you be bringing to the table. You're going after the wrong people. They go through the human authentication process and try to put out a quality product and correct mistakes that are made in the process. If you destroy all the good guys all we'll have is Ebay and COA by Bob.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Anyone who buys a jersey from the 1800's and REALLY thinks that it was the one worn by Cap Anson or King Kelly probably DESERVES to lose whatever money they spend.

I think the market for these types of things will DRY UP in the future ... regardless of whether there is a "COA" or not ...because eventually NOBODY will believe that they are the real thing.

Stick with cards.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

Despite all the exposees over the years the memorabilia sales appear to me to be alive and healthy, I don't see why they will dry up. Like 100 year old cards in PSA 9 holders, people WANT to believe the illusion, and the "COA" serves the same function as the slab.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

But that really IS an Old Judge card in the slab...

regardless of whether or not it is a 9 or an 8 or a 7.

With these jerseys and autographs...there is no "in between."

The item is either REAL and therefore worth $250,000...

or it is FAKE and worth NOTHING.

Big difference to me.

I think it will only take a FEW examples of people spending $500,000 for a BAT... and then having it later be proved to be WORTHLESS... that the "demand" for these items will crumble.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

Memorabilia has in betweens too. It's Koufax' glove, but not the one he wore during his no-hitter. Etc. But leaving that aside, suppose for argument's sake a card in a slab is restored, or altered, like the Doyle that was discussed a few days ago. It may have some residual value, but I doubt that would be much consolation to the buyer who is stuck with it having purchased it in the belief that it was what it was represented to be. I think memorabilia is here to stay and the industry will continue to find a way to survive scandals. I mean did the whole WIWAG thing slow down graded cards one bit in the final analysis? Does the "received wisdom" that the PSA 8 Wagner is trimmed bring down its value?

Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

...which, by the way, was begging to be asked by someone...THANKS JAY!
mr plancich, them are some perty tough words there....may we have some credentials...or at least...age, rank, and serial number?

Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

In photographs there are 'in betweens.' An original Charles Conlon of Ty Cobb would be the top. If UPI reprinted the image in the 1950s, the photograph would be official and collectable, just not worth nearly as much as the original.

For me, the issue usually turns on what was paid. Even if advertised as the original, if a collector paid $50 for the 1950s UPI Cobb because he thought it would look great on his office wall, the price is fair and there's no big deal. If he paid $700, then there would be an issue.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

See Keith O. laugh.
See Alan R. laugh.
See Joe M. laugh.
See SGC laugh.
See Lew L. laugh.
See Mark M. laugh.
See Joe P. laugh.
See my counselor laugh.

Watch Spots run.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, and they have him perched on Mt. OLYMPUS.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

You have to start with the assumption that everyone makes mistakes (I find it funny when imperfect people expect others to be perfect). Assuming the institution is competent and knowledgeable, you have to assess the frequency and magnifitue of the mistakes, the reason for the mistake (honest miscalculation versus trying to 'maximize' the sell price), but most importantly how they deal with the errors. The later is not just if they give a refund or simularly address the error (which of course is important), but how the institution changes their methods and learns and change the way they do things. Personally, I'm not disturbed by an auction house making a significant factual or dating error-- I'm disturbed when the error is pointed out and they don't fix it.

If a collector expects an auction house or grader to fix or reasonably address their errors or reduce the amount of errors in the future, that is more than reasonable. If a collector expects the auction house or grader to never make a mistake, I find that strange thinking.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Seek help ---- NOW!

Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

I am a little concerned about the veracity of this Robert Planinch fellow. He is making some very bold and assertive claims, and questioning the ethics and truthfulness of some prominent names in the hobby. He has been asked to provide some proof, other than mere acqusations, yet has not responded. Instead he just keeps posting new stories about how Mr. Bushing is a cheat. If this is in fact true, I would love to hear more about it, along with some proof. However, if it is only one man with an axe to grind, I would much rather talk about 1933 Goudeys.

"I'm thinking about getting a plasma T.V., in case I need a transfusion."- Steven Wright