NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default David Bryan e-mail address needed

Posted By: Andy Baran

Does anyone have David Bryan's (davidbvintage) e-mail address. I tried to contact him through e-bay, but I'm not sure if he got the message. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

dbryan7414@aol.com

Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BCD

but it should be:

UR.SGC_50_isMY_80@hypergenerousgrades.net

He has got to have a form whereby they except his own estimated grades. No knock on him but what is the deal with him and SGC?

Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david bryan

Well Brian i guess this deserves a reply from me much of what will be the same as from an earlier tread. I fell your comments were harsh and out of line therefore I felt the need to respond. I can assure you that SGC does not play any favoritism with me and I feel strongly they do not for anyone. Likewise I have never ever told SGC what grade I expected or wanted, as you insinuated. I take my lumps just like you and others. SGC is an exceptional company and would never (in my opinion) deliberately over grade a card for one of their customers. Do they make mistakes? Certainly they do! Have they ever made a mistake on one of my cards or submissions? Certainly they have! I am like many other collectors, often puzzled at why the grades were so low on many of my submissions. They hammer me just like everyone else, but yes occasionally they may over grade one. So what is an acceptable percentage for SGC to miss grade a card and give it a grade higher than maybe it should be? Is 1% an acceptable percentage? That would be 1 in 100 cards. I personally would say that would be an exceptional average and in reality it is most likely a higher percentage. I wish I could say that I was that good but I would not be close to that. So lets assume 1% is acceptable and a collector sends in 100 cards over the course of the year than he would maybe have 1 card that is over graded but may have many many more that were what he felt harshly graded. Would that make you feel that you were receiving favoritism? Well I do not send in 100 cards a year but thousands. So lets say I only send in 1000 cards over the year (in reality it is much much more) than using the same percentage I would have 10 cards which were potentially over graded during the year. All my cards go on ebay and everyone can see them. So if over the course of a year you spot 10 cards (minimum) of mine which are over graded does that mean that SGC is giving me favoritism? I think not! The same reasoning could apply to different submission. one submission may be very harshly graded. Then another one a little more liberally graded. Ever had that happen? Even though SGC is extremely consistent, it happens. Ever graded a card or cards on one day only to revisit them on another day and think what in the world was I thinking? Also all the cards you see on ebay are not graded from my submission, as I buy thousands already graded and many of my consignors use SGC. SGC is a class act and they did not get that way by treating people differently. They are consistent and honorable, but yes they are also human and not computers or machines, so the human factor does and always will play a part in grading. Yes they can occasionally make mistakes, but when they do I feel confident it is an honest one and not a deliberate one. Brian I strive to run my business and my life with integrity, honesty and as morally correct as possible. If you think otherwise than fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I know differently and I feel my customers know differently as well. I think it would be safe to say that I am in the minority in that I allow returns on even graded cards. I strive to make my customers happy and satisfied. If you have a problem with it, you can certainly decide to not participate in any of my future auctions. I will leave that decision up to you.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

David also auctions hundreds, if not thousands, of cards consigned by others.

How would any bidder know which of David's SGC graded lots are owned by which consignors, and who sent in the cards to be graded?

If David lists a consignor's card that some feel was overgraded by SGC or any grading company, how is David responsible?

David is one of the absolute best dealers I have ever dealt with in 25 years of collecting. I have absolutely no reason to doubt his word.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I agree with David wholeheartedly and I get tired of seeing people bashing others when they don't even know what they are talking about- especially people who are full of anger and seem to always find something negative to say. Is it an SGC problem or an attitude problem?

Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Ive bought at least 50 cards from David Bryan over the past 5 years and ive never had a problem with 1,whether it was graded by a company or graded by him. I think his ebay feedback and prices he gets on his auctions continously prove that hes an outstanding seller and person

Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I know David for almost ten years. I have traded with him, purchased from him and sold to him. I consider David one of the most honorable people in the hobby and I would never think twice about taking him at his word.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

The point was simple-the guy is lucky as all get out. It was not a knock on him but SGC has offered loose grades on many of the cards he has had and that's a fact. And David,you know I know you are a top notch guy in all respects.

Damn Barry,for a guy who sent me a signed photo of Adrian Anson by mistake from one of your auctions-that I immediately called you to inform and then over night Fed Ex-ed it to the guy who actually won it with not so much as reimbursement by YOU or even a Thank You-you might want to take a seat in the second row today!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Administrator

I do remember that Anson photo and your courtesy in returning it; it was actually Jerry Smolin my former partner who shipped it in error, but a belated thank you nonetheless. My issue isn't that SGC does or doesn't make mistakes; the problem is you are turning your negative criticism towards David, as if he is in cahoots with them. And if you want to bring up old dirty laundry, you are the one who once won a partial E-card set from our auction (I believe it was an E94 set) and accused me of misgrading every single card in the set! How was I supposed to react to that? Could anyone make a nastier comment than that to me, implying that I was incompetent and could not get one card right. The issue is that you are an angry man and I think other people in the hobby who know you have felt that animosity in dealing with you. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

when and where is the rumble? thats ought to settle this antagonistic banter.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

all fights will be at the NAtional this year. There should be plenty of brawls to go around for everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting my brother and beating him up at the National.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I'm 52, and not in the best shape. I'll fight with words only. But I'd advise Brian to steer clear of David. He's a gentle soul but 250 pounds of muscle (and younger than me).

Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Barry,you are a "dealer". I am not! I could post piles of issues about you and others but won't. I have no real issue with you. I like you.

The E-97's you refer to were overgradded. You over graded piles of cards over the years and many on here would substantiate that.

You sold me an E-103 Wanger that was short ALL the way around! Do you remember when I called you without even looking at your scans you keep you told me it was oversized! hello!!! You then looked at the scan and admitted it was short as I proposed. You took it back ands dealt with it right....but pleeeeaaase! don't bark about issues of money when YOU are the dealer and I am merely a guy who purchased lots of stuff from you and also consigned things to you in trust! I wrote you a note an hour ago but I guess you want to comment about me while standing behind DB.Your point in view of my response is redundantly inane Barry. Why don't you read the disarming statement I wrote in response to you doing this above! I clearly told you he was a great guy.I know him. I'll still dispute that SGC has issues as all grading services do!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5157451904&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

how's this one Barry? How do you grade it??

Old 01-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I read your email. It was gibberish. I'm outta here. Have a good night.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I buy alot from DavidB and he is very knowleged and always courteous , I cant thank him enough for coming thru in the clutch when at times life on ebay is boring and he comes along and saves the day or week w/ some pretty good cards. One to mention for me is the Weaver t207 Red cycle in a sgc 50.

As an advanced collector it is up to our own judgement to buy the card and not the grade based on what we think and if it does suit us , we may buy it. Young or new collectors of pre war may buy the grade and have to count on just that for closure and if they have questions hopefully they can come here for our guidence ,but we cannot fault someone trying to do good for us ... especially when someone else may make a mistake.

With SGC , I dont think that it would serve any purpose of integrity to single one guy out favorably because he solely deals with them. They wouldnt make it that obvious. I sent in a Young port and thought it was an 80 and it came back an 84 and another significant card came back the same way and 1 that I thought would be an 88- 92 came back an 84 and one that I thought would get an 84 , got a 70. It is just the way it is.

I still count on myself as a advanced pre war collector to make my own best judgement and not at someone elses grading or expense. If it is overpriced , I dont buy it, that simple.

David I need a .....oh well....cant wait til next time.....Good Evening to all !

Old 01-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I just won my first auction from David - he has lots of great stuff, but we are both in NC and the extra taxes that I have to pay on in state purchases is a killer - anyway, it was an excellent transaction and I had my card, in hand, the day after I paid. On top of that, in my opinion, the card was undergraded, if anything (an SGC 40 T206 Johnson Portrait with a barely visible wrinkle the only thing keeping it from a 50 - by the way, the actual card I bought is the Johnson Portrait used by Hal as the winner in his "best looking cards" thread.)

Thanks David.