NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default Do PSA Cards Mix Well With SGC Cards?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

All I see is someone trying too hard to fit in here....some of his posts can be annoying, some are bizarre, and others are halfway on topic, but I'm telling you that if you ignore them you won't die and this forum won't go to hell...It's really easy to see when he's started a post. Don't click on it. He's not a troll (troll's fight back and they do not meet up with people in real life), I just think he doesn't know how to formulate a good question. He also apparently has a hard time keeping his post war/pre war questions in the correct forums, and Leon should just lock those as soon as he sees it happening....I guess if Peter can't abide by that then he should be banned.

When Jim C and I had our difficulties in getting along on this board I stopped reading his posts and responding to them...it was easy. I'm glad to say that we now get along fine and have a mutual respect. Those who are making too much of Peter's posts IMO are inviting confrontation with Peter and seem a little annoyed that he won't fight back. I'm surprised at the amount of 'piling on' I see too from other posters....even mild mannered Barry Sloate has joined in the reindeer games and I guess that surprises me the most. Maybe I'm the one who is blind and Peter should just be banned, but after 10+ years on usenet forums Peter C is a mild annoyance at best.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

If the slabs are facing each other, the players will actually climb off the card and walk right out of the slab. But it only seems to happen after the room starts spinning and my bottle of mezcal is empty.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Dan ,
I really am not seeing it that way. Peter was asked many times in a very nice way to stop the as I put it (mind numbing dribble) many many times. We tried the nice way ,we tried in so many ways. NOPE none of it works. I stated in one of the posts "I truely believe he enjoys doing it this way" and I still do. As you are entitled to your opinion so are the others who post here. I myself feel sorry for the guy but if he wants to continue with these posts (and I see no sign of him letting up) Then there is going to be no sign of me letting up . Fact, I never have seen him show or scan an item in any post he has started. Always lets others do all the work. Fact, he seems to go into hiding until people like yourself take up his cause and start defending him. Then he comes out and starts "power to the establishment power to post anything any time" Go check that one out on the memorabilia board side. Another real deal post from Peter. And his posts check them out they go on and on for 60-90 posts and if you really check the "on subject" part of the post is very little. In real knowledgeable information I truely believe he knows very little. The posts just go on and on about how bad the poor guy really is. Yes sometimes its funny but most of the time its just foolish chat and that s the point. If this side of the board is going to return to talk about pre war cards with (some) off topic talk once in awhile then something has to change. I now believe Leon is starting to see the light on this issue with Peter. Its starting to get old. and something needs to be done.As was stated by others there are other "CHAT" boards that would serve Peter better but to continue to say just ignore the guy well Dan thats really not going to happen.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Has to be some psychological expanation as to why he continues such posts...any psychiatrists on here??
I have to think maybe he's just craving attention and sitting there laughing at all of everyone's replies to his assinine questions??

Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

There is something disheartening about turning on Net54 after not paying attention for 2-3 days and see Peter's off-topic inane posts. I honestly think Peter thinks he gets credit from other posters for starting these posts which have little if anything to do with vintage cards. As another poster said, it makes you want to just turn off the computer.

After a round of pretty severe criticism and Leon joining in he said he understood but here we go again with multiple threads started. Dan I agree that we had our differences and now things are fine--same thing with Jeff and Dan--but this is more than a mild annoyance to me. Maybe it shouldn't be...but it is.

Peter, you are not adding any value to the board and its clear that you are infuriating a number of other posters whose opinions I care about. Please stop posting.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

he didnt get to play in many reindeer games. He said he was a nerd and maybe this is his revenge !.......

or is it the pickled peppers that Peter picked?

DOes he have a degree?....maybe not in brain surgery .WHat the heck , if everyone was the same, then you should all overnite your cards like I ask.

Peter you must have alotta love here, you have 60 mil responses.

If I do not like, i do not respond. If no reply ,goes by the wayside.

xo Peter....we are all a little weird !

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Wow, Peter gets alot of flack, regardless of what he says. And now people are telling him not to post?! Just don't read it. There are plenty of threads here that I am sure people do not like. It's only an internet message board. Does Chao have that much effect on everyone?
I notice at least 5 other threads tonight that are informative, so I just concentrate on those. But to tell another person on here not to post? Doesn't seem right.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I don't know why everyone is surprised, I started a thread about the issue and it was deemed OK so why should this be different. Peter has made it obvious that this is now Leon choice and he has chosen to let it run amuck.

Like they told me start evolving folks.

Lee

Old 10-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Does Peter collect vintage cards ?

Just curious. There are requests for scans. But none posted by the cousler himself.

Me thinks he is looking for a home.

Or maybe he just looks up to Jeff.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dan- you are correct that I normally don't like to get confrontational in these kind of threads. So I guess I have to be pushed over the top to respond the way I did.

It is the absurdity of this situation that has gotten me upset. If a hundred people, a thousand people, or a million people ask Peter to please refrain from posts that have nothing to do with vintage baseball cards, he will still come on the board the next day and say "okay guys, Bill Mazeroski was part of my favorite all-time double play combination, what is yours?" Nobody could be that impervious to all the feedback he has gotten on the board.

Up until recently I pictured him as simply a good soul who just didn't get it. But now I think there is something pathological about his posts, and that he really should leave the board. Every time he starts a thread all hell breaks loose, and that is just too much of a distraction from what is really important around here.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I really had high hopes after Peter said he was taking the feedback to heart and trying to improve. It even seemed like it got better for a few days.

But his posts this weekend have been unfortunate. The one about clashing holders could at least be stretched to be OT, except for the short-leash situation that is unique to Peter. But the one about double-play combos? Not quite sure what the thinking was behind that one. It seems like the weekends are his downfall.

I've actually considered something, and I'm not kidding here. Barry has long said that this board would be good material for a college psych project. I've said the same thing, except that I've always seen it as a sociology project - how people form societies, organize and maintain themselves.

It as actually occurred to me that this might be exactly that. Someone's senior paper or thesis or whatever in which he keeps poking at the society, testing norms, breaking them in different ways, backing off for a bit, coming back, being of good cheer the whole time, etc, and then observing and writing about the group responses, individual responses, who emerges as the opinion leaders, who emerges as the supportive group, who has actual disciplinary authority, and how all of these interract to resolve the situation.

It's really pretty fascinating when you look at it that way. Do I really think Peter is a made-up person and this is someone's Sociology project? Nah - obviously a low probability. Plus people have met him and he really is a collector. But if they hadn't ... well I would at least be considering it.

But it's one of those hypotheses that, while not likely true, does suddenly explain all facts and events, and makes everything fit together and understandable. At minimum, it show how bizarre this is that such a thing would even be a possibility.

Joann

Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I stated my sincere opinion and concern - and have nothing further to add.
The repeated defense of these posts are a head scratcher to me - and I don't want to get wrapped up in the debate.

I think it is time for me to take a break from the main 'card' board for a while.

I am by no means leaving....
instead I will be over on the memorabilia side / the golf forum / and of course the BST.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"Where have you gone, Joe D,
Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson.
Joltin' Joe has left and gone away,
Hey hey hey."

say it ain't so joe...say it ain't so.

after much debate, i edited this post to add a wink...

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't see my actions as letting Peter C run amuck. Actually I think I have given him a final warning, publicly. Maybe you didn't notice that? You may think what you want to...I will continue to run this board the best way I know how.... I might be a little bit too lenient but that is my nature...regards

edited spellin' again...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

OK, I read this forum almost every day. I rarely respond. I finally have to say something regarding your rude responses to Peter C. If you are under 13, this response is not for you. I understand that you are still a teenager and haven't grown up enough to learn how to treat people. If you are over 13 and responding with these ridiculous sarcastic responses, GROW UP!! Is it that difficult to move on to the next topic? Just because you are not interested in his topic means everyone else isn't either?

When you get a chance, check out how many threads are not related to this forum. For some reason if they are from someone other than Peter, they're accepted.

FYI. I am interested in his topic. Just yesterday AM I was looking into some of my display cases and thought of regrading some cards because of how they looked next to each other.

Check out the one PSA card in this case:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm also not crazy about this case with the mix of GAI, PSA and SGC:

This one looks much nicer with all PSA:

Dan

Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Nice collection!!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Casey

Touche!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Dan,

I really like that little built in display case. Can you tell me what you are using to hold the cards upright and where you purchased them from. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Dan, although in general I prefer a black background to white, I think a mix of PSA and SGC would meld better with a off darktone-white background, or maybe even a neutral mid-gray tone, if you could stand such a thing. On the mixed-holdered display, since black is the main color of the SGCs (and the background,it makes the PSAs seem obtrusive. Maybe mock it up first with cheap color paper. You could line the smaller white built-in to try it first. Just my opinion. At any rate, great cards, great display.

*edited to say: WOW, that's alotta Yaz!
*edited again til I got it right.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

I bet Dan is happy this morning.
BTW, I think the display with the different grading companies looks just fine against the black background. Nice room!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Really nice displays!

I notice that you have a black and white image of Boston-Providence posing at Messer Park in Providence in 1879. From the scan the image quality looks very good. Can you shed any light on how that image was taken? The reason I ask is that some years ago the original glass negative of that photo was sold at auction and it always intrigued me whether prints would subsequently be generated from that negative.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Beautiful display, Dan. The mix of holders looks fine in the second photo, but when all but one of the OJs are grade by SGC, you might consider crossing the remaining PSA card.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Hi Dan. Nice post, collection and display.

Have you considered displaying the cards raw? I've always preferred them that way myself.

Howard

BTW...are the '60 & '61 Yaz's out getting graded?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Flaherty

Dan,

That is a very impressive Yastrzemski collection you have displayed.

If you ever get the chance, could you e-mail me a scan of the 1965 Embossed PSA 8 you have? It's one of the toughest cards to find in nice condition from that set.

Thanks for the pics!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Dan, that's a great looking display. If I may ask what is the method to your collecting on your prewar display? Just cards you like? or is there a pattern I'm no seeing?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

are thy eyes deceiving thee? It is a real nice HOF collection.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

I can see that it's hall of famers...but it's mostly Fan Craze and T206 with a few others in there.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Dan, thanks for sharing the wall displays - I love seeing everyone's items displayed. gives me ideas, etc...plus it's a neat way to share the collections. I'm with you regarding mixing the raw, and various slabs. I find uniformity much more appealing, whenever it can be achieved. It's just a personality thing.

Everyone,
On the greater topic of Peter C (Hi Peter), I think this topic is fairly well-related to our hobby. If it gets people to post pics of their stuff, I'm all for it!!!!

His other posts seem to have won him a little bit of a shorter leash as Leon has stated earlier, but don't forget that communities, Board such as this one, etc. thrive on characters. Peter C has established himself as a character (either real or imagined doesn't matter). His posts can be silly, OT, or otherwise annoying to some or many, but at the very least he does start conversation. The bully behavior is disappointing to see, but I suspect that it may even in part encourage some of Peter's posts.
His posts are like a car crash. They cause many to slow down as they pass by, but sooner or later everyone gets their look and decides to get on with their day...

What's my point....eh....relax

Old 10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

Peter has been given a very long leash on this board for a very long time. He has brought criticism on himself. The majority of his threads have been inane from the start and they seem to be nothing more than attention-seeking in nature. He says he's a lawyer but that's a scary thought based on his poor command of the english language and lack of ability to stay focused on the purpose of this forum. He often refers to his collection but we have seen no evidence of a collection. Personally, I wouldn't care if he has a collection or not but he says he does and he often asks to see pictures from others so it would be nice if he would contribute to the sharing. I know I don't have to read his threads but I can't help looking because I'm curious to see if others are feeling the same way I am about the quality of his contributions here. Over the last few weeks it's become clear that most of us have lost patience with him but, believe me, he has been given more than a fair opportunity to fit in.

John

Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dan,

Thanks for actually responding to my post. There were about two others that responded. This thread should have gone 3 posts and died. The rest of you guys just rehashed old news.

Peter C.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

well put john!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Um, Peter, anything getting through?

Dave

Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Wow ... I expected to get hammered for my Peter C support. I didn't expect to get so many questions about the displays. There was a thread recently about showing your displays. I think I'll start another one to show/answer a lot of these questions.

Dan

Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I don't like SGC because their "storage" containers are cheap and weak. PSA's are much more conducive to storing.

Also, I prefer the term "f*cktard."

Finally, I think Dan uses the stick bubble gum from packs, to hold the cards.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I really need to get me a couple of those display cases. If you are unhappy with yours, can I have them? Better yet, since they're kinda bulky, just send me the cards.

BTW, where are the '60 and '61 Yaz cards?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

I have over 400 SGC graded cards and maybe 10 or so PSA and everytime I look at the PSA cards I ask myself, "why don't you just get them crossed over if they bother you so much?" And I will someday and you know why, "PSA Cards do not Mix Well With SGC Cards."

Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Peter,

I think that this thread, with a bit more thought, could have been a worthwhile topic. I always enjoy seeing how other people display their cards. For starters, it would have been nice to see how your's are currently displayed given that your begin the thread by commenting on the difficulty of displaying sgc and psa graded cards together. For what its worth, I like symmetry myself and stick to one brand and cross everything else.

I will comment that the fact that you state the thread should have had three replies and died is indicative of the fact that even you didnt really believe it would be a thought-provoking or serious thread.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Peter, nice to see that are capable of such introspection and self-awareness.

And which term do you prefer -- Asshat or F*cktard?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Michael: I wish I had a PSA8 1965 Yaz Embossed. Mine is a PSA6. If you would still like a scan, email me at danp306@gmail.com and I'll send it to you when I get home.

Others:
The 1960 Yaz RC is in the HOF case.
The 1961 Yaz is in the 3000 Hit Club case.

Dan

Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Assclown is another favorite of mine.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I always liked "asphalt" which is what my mother used to think my brothers and I were calling each other.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

I'm partial to "numbnuts".

Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

Buttnugget is a favorite.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Ivanjack

That must make Peter's collection an AssSet to the hobby.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I pay close attention to ensuring my collection is a mixture of PSA and SGC slabs. For example, the Green, Red, and White goes well with my Italian heritage (especially around Columbus Day) and nothing is more perfect around Christmas Time/the Holiday then displaying those Santa-like Green and Red colors. Goes well against the backdrop of a nice fire burning in my fireplace with some egg nog close at hand.

However, around Easter, when Green is the predominant color, I like to tone back a little on the PSA red and display more of an SGC green on my wall.

Now whenever the Oakland Raiders are on my TV, I'll take down all my PSA and SGC slabs and hang the few GAI slabs in their place. Makes me really feel part of the Raider-nation whenever I look at my GAI slabs.

Peter...as Bill Cosby once said, you are a genius because "it takes a genius to fake such stupidity" My Hat's off to ya Pal!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Leon,

Can this thread not be locked? Or should we all have a chance to get a gratuitous shot in?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

...it's become disgusting and the parting shots are unbecoming -- they don't serve the purpose of trying to improve the board.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

You guys should be thankful that I have a target on my forehead. Otherwise, you would be chasing Jeff L., and he's not such an easy target.

Peter C.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't always agree with JK but I will on this one....lets get over it folks....Please go start some good threads......Peter C (Hi Peter) should have gotten the message by now....and I am sure will try to stay somewhat more on topic...kindest regards