NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Bill Gregory

Default November pickups

I thought I'd start us off this month.

This just came in today. This is pretty much the personification of what I'm looking for as I build the 1975 Topps set. The left to right centering is very slightly off, but acceptable in light of everything else. The edges and corners are beautiful. 4 of the sharpest corners I've ever seen on a 1975 Topps card. It looks like it just came out of a pack (and it might have before being sent off for grading. It's in the new slab). The color is flawless. And there's not even a hint of a print flaw anywhere to be seen. This should be an 8.5, in my opinion. It's just beautiful.

I will have more cards from this set coming in over the next four weeks. Let's have a great month, guys. Have fun!!!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

That is a sweet Seaver Bill!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Al Richter

Default 1971 Topps Greatest Moments

I put this set together a long time ago. I like to keep an unopened pack or at least a wrapper with each set. Never have seen an unopened pack for these, nor had I seen a wrapper until this one came up in a recent auction.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Bi11..R0berts

A great start this month Guys. Al - I'm drooling! The '71 greatest moments is one of the "non-mainstream" sets I want to put together along with the '64 standups.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Default November pickups

Nice '64 Kahn's Woodie Held just in.

64 Kahn's W Held 103114.jpg
Old 11-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I put this set together a long time ago. I like to keep an unopened pack or at least a wrapper with each set. Never have seen an unopened pack for these, nor had I seen a wrapper until this one came up in a recent auction.

Al, that is a fantastic wrapper. I've never seen one either. Do you think it was actually issued or a very limited test perhaps? There are lots of 1971 Greatest Moments cards around, but never a wrapper until now. Very nice. Is there more to the story?

Randy
Old 11-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Strong start to the month guys!

Got these in the mail today. Two more down in the 58 AS subset. Still searching for a mid-grade Mantle at the price I want.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:56 AM

Great pickups guys...

Bill...that Seaver is nice...yeah very even on both sides...and no tilting either...

Al...dang... I have a GM set...and I need a wrapper too...

Shoebox...the color just jumps out on those 58's!

Ricky Y
Old 11-02-2014, 07:20 AM
$teve O.

Picked up 2 more for my '64 Giants set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gts 001.jpg (72.7 KB, 527 views)
Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Al Richter

Default 1964 Giants

Steve--that set has always been a favorite of mine. Great Photos

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-02-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM
$teve O.

Thanks Al.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Larry More.y

Nice PUs so far....I have been building a 53 Bowman set, and this Mantle brings me to within 10 cards of being complete and fit in line with the rest of the set condition wise. I have been looking for a better centererd copy at a reasonable price...this card met both goals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0065.jpg (73.0 KB, 437 views)
Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:

Wow AL! Only one I've ever seen. Nobody had ever been able to produce an image of one before.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Caught one of my white whales. When I say white, I mean white. After almost a decade of searching I had never been able to even locate an image of a "white" back 74 Deckle Sutton. The grey backs are plentiful but when this white was listed recently I was fortunate the seller didn't identify its back variation in the title, limiting the competition.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, gentlemen. I have such a long way to go on this set, but I enjoy looking for pieces that meet my high standard. The 53/47 centering is the only real flaw, if you can call it that. I don't know how they get an 8 out of that card, though.

Al, I don't know how you find some of the things you do. Your additions never cease to amaze. That wrapper is really stunning. Obviously, I have less experience than a lot of you guys, so it's not surprising that I, too, have never seen one of those wrappers.

Dustin, those are two really nice AS cards. Really nice eye appeal for the grades. I think we've collectively hit a group of cards where at least from the scans, it appears that the cards are a bit undergraded. The centering is a bit off, but otherwise, the cards are very clean. Nice edges and corners, certainly nothing that would warrant the grades they received. I think more than anything, you guys just happen to find beautiful cards that are stronger than their grades would suggest. I like the Sport Magazine/Sporting News All Star cards quite a lot, actually. My favorites are the 1961 Sporting News design. The profile pictures busting out of the newspaper is a really cool design. Aesthetically, they're just great looking cards. A collector could just work on those, ignoring the remainder of the set, and have one hell of a collection. I've thought about starting the '61 subset, as I really am not working on anything in the 60s right now. That would give me the Bowman Color set in the 50s, the 1975 Topps set, and the 1980 Topps set for the 80s. It would be a no brainer if Clemente were in it. He was an All Star for the first time in 1960, hitting .314, and an All Star in 1961, winning his first batting title hitting .351. But these cards were obviously printed before the end of the season. Maybe I'll just make a custom card and print it on some high quality paper, and offer it to our vintage members. I'll have to look into that.

Steve, those two cards are beauties. You know, the '64 Topps Giants cards is another option for a 60s set. I don't know why the set isn't more expensive. I think they're beautiful cards. And there is a Clemente. Hmm.

Bob and Joe, nice cards, too. I admit I know nothing about the Kahn's set, or the '74 Topps deckle edge (though I have at least seen them before). Though Topps was the only game in town for a long time after Bowman stopped producing, there are some nice alternatives that popped in from time to time. I'd like to explore some of them, including the Kellogg's baseball cards, because they are unique.

But thus far, Saved has my favorite card. Finding '53 Bowman Color cards centered and clean can be difficult. Finding Mr. Mantle like that is an exercise in frustration. I haven't even been seriously looking as a prelude to purchasing one (that will be a little later). I've just looked for the sake of finding one, and that's a really nice example. One of my all-time favorite cards, and a beautiful highlight for your set. Bravo!

Keep up the great pick ups, gang. November is off and running! Now, to eBay I go!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Al Richter

Default 1974 Deckle

Very nice Sutton Joe, and you are right about the white backs being tougher. I have gone a little over board on this set . I have completed in in both deckled and in undeckled form with finished backs. I also have it in blank back proof form on two uncut sheets. But I am still two white backs short of finishing it in both deckled gray and white back.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Larry More.y

Thank you Bill!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default D323 Tip Top

Had never gotten around to picking one up...there is a very light, horizontal wrinkle across the middle of the card. It can mainly be seen when tilting it sideways and looking at it. I thought it was a nice looking 2, especially for the series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd323tiptopgaragiola2.jpg (78.3 KB, 377 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Al-if anyone was going to find that wrapper it was you! I believe one box at least is out there as well. It was a limited release in certain cities and Card Collectors Co. sold off the overstock from what I have unearthed.

Leon-nice pickup on the Tip Top-tough issue, maybe one of the tougher sets out there in the post WW2 issue that saw any kind of (sorta) national distribution.

Last edited by toppcat; 11-03-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Al-if anyone was going to find that wrapper it was you! I believe one box at least is out there as well. It was a limited release in certain cities and Card Collectors Co. sold off the overstock from what I have unearthed.

Leon-nice pickup on the Tip Top-tough issue, maybe one of the tougher sets out there in the post WW2 issue that saw any kind of (sorta) national distribution.
Thanks Dave..... They aren't that difficult to find but seem to be in mostly lower condition (which is fine by me as long as they look good). Here is another I added yesterday, H801-3, 1948 Smith's...(the back scan is off a little, it is sharp in person). I still need a 1947 HOF'er....hint hint......

Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Leon - Some Tip Top's are out there in relative abundance but as a set it's a doozy. I thinnk I read in an old TTS only one collector was known to have completed the set. Yikes!

I'm a big fan of PCL issues, though I only have a few. I wonder sometimes how different MLB would have been had the PCL been accepted as a third major league in the 1950's.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Default November pickups

Nice 1958 Topps Dodger. Pretty nice centering for a '58...

58 T C Erskine 110414.jpg
Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 AM
J.O.N

My first Clemente Rookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Nothing like the first time! Congrats on the Clemente rookie. Bobc88 very nice pickup with the Erskine. Presents itself very nicely for the grade.
Picked up this nicely centered 57 Mantle today of Ebay.

Last edited by jb67; 11-07-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Al Richter

Default 57 Mantle

Nice card jb. I wonder if anyone has ever located the original photo and identified who the airbrushed guy is
Old 11-07-2014, 01:31 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Nothing like the first time! Congrats on the Clemente rookie. Bobc88 very nice pickup with the Erskine. Presents itself very nicely for the grade.
Picked up this nicely centered 57 Mantle today of Ebay.

Nice Mick!

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 PM

So bummed! In the 15 months I've lived in this condo I've never ever missed a package (concierges are great!). Today I have two Clemente rookies coming and he or she was gone when the mail carrier showed up! So I have to wait one more day.

I've been trying to buy one of these for years. One more day and I'll have two!

Also, awesome Mick and Erskine. Great looking cards.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Not a graded card guy at all, but when I can find a pair of nicely centered 1972 PSA 8 high numbered stars at a good price, I jump.

72highs.jpg

BTW, both of these guys are available for trade.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post

My first Clemente Rookie.

Congrats Jon! Much nicer than the technical grade! If that's the one from Goodwin, that was my consignment. I sent it to Al in it's pure form and thought it got hammered by PSA. Great lookin' 1 IMO!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM
J.O.N

Default November pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Congrats Jon! Much nicer than the technical grade! If that's the one from Goodwin, that was my consignment. I sent it to Al in it's pure form and thought it got hammered by PSA. Great lookin' 1 IMO!

Thanks Derek. I just picked this one up from Love of the Game. I felt the eye appeal far exceeded the grade so I went for it.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.

Last edited by Jcfowler6; 11-07-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

Al,
The most impressive item I have seen in a long time. I believe Tom Pfirrman had one in an SCD auction in the early 80's.

I almost purchased the display box at the National in 1997.

Thanks for sharing.

Dav.id
Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
So bummed! In the 15 months I've lived in this condo I've never ever missed a package (concierges are great!). Today I have two Clemente rookies coming and he or she was gone when the mail carrier showed up! So I have to wait one more day.

I've been trying to buy one of these for years. One more day and I'll have two!

Also, awesome Mick and Erskine. Great looking cards.

Bummer! But two Clemente rookies coming is a really cool thing to have. Congrats.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM

From one of my favorite non-Topps/Bowman sets...

53 Redman M Parnell 110514.jpg
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Dustin Bellinger

I love the look of those Redman Tobacco cards. Sharp looking card!

[/B]QUOTE=bobc88;1342048]From one of my favorite non-Topps/Bowman sets...

Attachment 167130[/QUOTE]

Old 11-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Chris

Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Cool Banks, almost didnt see that is was autographed
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
Thanks Derek. I just picked this one up from Love of the Game. I felt the eye appeal far exceeded the grade so I went for it.
Oops - I meant that I consigned it to LOTG, not Goodwin!! Yep, that was once mine. I'm sad that I had to let it go, but I'm happy to see it found it's way to a good new home!

Enjoy!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Matt

There's nothing like reuniting twin brothers separated at birth...

Last edited by MattyC; 11-30-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Wow!!! That is some reunion. Congrats!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:17 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
There's nothing like reuniting twin brothers separated at birth...

That's just sick

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM

MattyC-

Magnifique, Mon Ami Mate Collector!

---Brian Powell
Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Alan Elefson

Great pickups this month! Well, they are great every month but I normally do not post on every pickup thread.

Below, are a few items I picked up at the Wilmington MA card show on Halloween weekend. The first item is a letter and envelope addressed to the baseball player Jimmy Brown from Sy Berger on Topps Bazooka letterhead. The second item is a small group of cards from Venezuela (1967 Topps). The last item is some sort of Bond Bread advertising item. I assume it was cut from something larger.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img925.jpg (27.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg img926.jpg (60.4 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg img929.jpg (30.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg img930.jpg (69.2 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg img900.jpg (41.3 KB, 293 views)
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default November pickup

This will wreak havoc with my Top 50 display, but I just picked up this beautiful (ignoring condition) card of Sadaharu Oh!

oh.JPG

Besides the picture looking like a work of art to me, 1964 was also Oh's big breakout season where he set the Japanese BB single season homerun record (since eclipsed) and won the first of his 9 MVP awards.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Matt

That's a stunning baseball card. Amazing color.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:01 PM

Yep, never seen that Oh card before. Beautiful!

Killer Mantle, Matt!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

The back of the Sadaharu Oh is a bit underwhelming! The Japanese writing simply says, "OUT!"

I'm assuming the cards doubled as a game, similar to how my friends and I used to play baseball with the Topps 1978 "Play Ball (Played by Two) cardbacks. most memorable to me for the Tony Armas UER featuring the outcome of STRIKE UT. (And ten points to anyone who from memory can name a player with an outcome of HOME RUN! I can't anymore, though Bobby Grich is in my head.)

oh_back.jpg armas.JPG

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
This will wreak havoc with my Top 50 display, but I just picked up this beautiful (ignoring condition) card of Sadaharu Oh!

Attachment 167680

Besides the picture looking like a work of art to me, 1964 was also Oh's big breakout season where he set the Japanese BB single season homerun record (since eclipsed) and won the first of his 9 MVP awards.
Oh my!! Nice pickup with Sadaharu Oh. Where did you find it?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I found it in an eBay search for Sadaharu Oh cards. I scrolled down the full list to see if any were affordable, "vintage enough" (1969 is my cutoff), and cool looking. This one came up at $60 obo and I took a shot with $40, having also seen that the same merchant attempted to sell it once at another auction with a $40 starting bid.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

This Oh card is a bit more beat up than mine and not as vintage, but it's an awfully cool picture too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sadaharu-Oh-...item27e7e331c9

First off, gotta love the ball just coming off the bat...and then, what's that? Did the sun just explode in the background?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Jason, great looking Oh card.

I found a great ebay seller with these three 58 All-stars listed. Way able to work out a package price for all three. Some diamond cut/tilt to them but the color is just fantastic. I am now 2/3 complete on the subset.