NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do you like this Pinnacle Dimaggio card?
Yes 28 28.87%
No 49 50.52%
I don't care..... 20 20.62%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Pinnacle Dimaggio card

We have discussed newer, vintage era cards before. I just want to get an idea if I am off base or not (more than normal )......

Do you like or dislike....?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Dimaggio...item27d0ef203c

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Richard A.

Would be curious to see the original image, but don't particularly care for the card itself.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I like it because of the "interesting" setting and pose. However, I would never go out of my way to collect it.

Last edited by Paul S; 03-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I like it because of the "interesting" setting and pose. However, I would never go out of my way to collect it.
Personally, I collect so many oddball things, and so many things in general, I wouldn't collect them, but I think it's a great pose. If it helps get collectors interested in vintage then I think it's good too. The question wasn't "would you collect them" it is only "do you like them".....? As usual I am in the minority though .
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
FredYoung

The '93 Pinnacle Joe D set is an inexpensive way to get some neat cards w/ alot of Joe poses & shots one would only otherwise get from old wire photos or newspapers of the day.

I kinda' like them!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't mind new cards of old players, especially if they have interesting pictures like this one where it shows the company made an effort instead of just using the same photo everyone else uses. Doing a whole set like that is a lot of work.

That particular card I like the picture, but I think the black border with the dark woodgrain for the name panel just doesn't work well for a card with a dark black and white photo. I'm not crazy about the foil either, but it was the in thing at the time. It probably looks nicer in person.

Steve B
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Jeff

I will occasionally pick up a new card of an older player if it is something I find interesting. This is a 2012 Leaf Sketch Card.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Great player, cool image, black borders, tasteful stained-wood style nameplate, and it's a baseball card... I like it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Clayton

Default I like it for what it is

When I go to Target I will buy a pack of modern cards for the hell of it. I like finding cards of players from the '60's on back more than I like finding modern ball players.

So, I like this Dimaggio card you posted-it's a cool picture of him.

Here's one I got out of my last pack, I thought it was pretty cool for what it was.

Sincerely, Clayton

P.S. Of course, there's nothing like the real thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 069.jpg (55.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg various 070.jpg (35.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
When I go to Target I will buy a pack of modern cards for the hell of it...
P.S. Of course, there's nothing like the real thing
I completely get that. I stopped collecting modern after 1971 but every once in a long while I will buy a pack just for the thrill of opening a pack. (Hey, let's see what I got). I went through some cards I haven't looked at in decades and found I had a period 70's Clemente I had completely forgot about. At the time I plucked it didn't make a much of a difference since I had so many of his cards dating back to the 50s, but now...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Default I enjoy post-career cards of players

I have enjoyed post-career baseball cards since the year I began collecting--1961. It began with the Golden Press Hall of Fame the kids were showing around at school, amongst their Topps and Post Cereal. The Topps sports thrills of 1961 were my intro to Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Walter Johnson, and Christy Matthewson. The Mantle blasting a 565-foot home run especially moved me. Along with the Fleer All-Time Greats, they were a beautiful introduction to the history of baseball that I found most interesting. This is where I first learned about Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Ted Williams, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, and so on.

Some day those cards of the 90s will be old. True, it seems they made a kazillion of them, but I thought they were made for people to buy and enjoy. If the only reason to buy cards is to hoard them and make a killing off them later, that's pretty sad, shallow, missing the major point, rarely enjoying what you have, and most of all, one chance in 25 or more that it will pay off handsomely. It's not wrong to do that, of course. In retrospect, the cards that have sold the best for me were the ones "I just had to have" because of their subject and beauty, and which I did not buy to re-sell later. For one reason or another, many were sold, but those are the ones that did the best.

Back to the subject, as Leon rightly said, there are so many to choose from. However, here and there, cards were crafted with good taste; surprisingly, some being a little tough to locate. Take Pinnacle, didn't they do the Conlon Collection? Some of the poses were fabulous. Some were positively ugly, stupid, and most revolting. The prime example was the colorized Conlon of Hack Wilson. First they chose him as a Giant. Then they picked this shot of him ducking back from a close pitch. You cannot see his face, but even if you could, what a diabolical waste. Hack had some terrific photos take of him; why not choose the best one from 1930, when he set the STILL-STANDING major league record of 191 runs batted in?

Three of my favorite Conlon color cards are a 1927 Lou Gehrig showing him batting. A honey. Perfect. The Joe Jackson with Cleveland is a delight, and perfection. Finally, the famous shot of Ty Cobb furiously sliding into third with all his might is also perfect. They will never be worth much money, but worth a whole lot to me. As much eye candy as the old and now missed huge Snickers bar.

Pinnacle did a fabulous set on Mickey Mantle. Most of the poses were very well chosen. Should be easily found on eBay for a few bucks.

Beauty is where you find it. As a forum member mentioned, someone had the good sense to take some photos only seen in books or magazines and make nice baseball cards out of them. If you like how it looks, if it moves you as art, buy it, enzhoy it as Maurice Chevalier said. Several will not like this, but some of the newer stuff of long-retired players is much better than most (BUT BY NO MEANS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of what was issued during their playing careers.

Lastly, I feel for the Joe DiMaggio collectors. There were so very few cards made of him during his career. Sets that SHOULD have had him do not have him. I'll guess it's because Joe felt he was owed a whole lot more for his image than the other players. In many respects that is true. Take the time he was negotiating his salary with the always mean and tough Yank GM George Weiss, he won. When DiMag wanted a certain figure, Weiss shot back that even Lou Gehrig did not make that much money a year! The Yankee Clipper sank him with, "Then Mr. Gehrig is a very underpaid man." Joltin' Joe got the jingle he wanted. Still wish Bowman, Topps, Fleer and some regional companies had come through with the extra loot to give kids and eventually us adults some more great DiMaggios. The Golden Press Hall of Fame is a beaut. Oh well, Pinnacle to the rescue!

Cheers. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-18-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction, and replace a few words