NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2020, 06:46 AM
James M.

Default I Think I've been scammed (Update to prior post)

Many of you commented on my previous post concerning a lost card by USPS. However I think something more sinister is afoot. Here was the previous thread I made the other day

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=285301

I purchased this card from this listing. Now USPS incompetence aside I want you to take a look at the card, specifically the serial number that identifies the card in the PSA registry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Bowman...72.m2749.l2649

Low and behold I'm randomly searching for 1953 Mantles on ebay and this new auction pops up AND IT'S THE SAME CARD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Bowman...UAAOSwClhe96pv

I'm going to see if the packag arrived, but now I'm worried about something else entirely. What are everyones thoughts on this?

Last edited by Seven; 06-28-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:07 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Seriously? - Yes is always better to sell the same card more than once

I would definitely contact the seller (and ebay) asking "What up dog?"

As for USPS - just anecdotal but-

I have been on eBay as both buyer and seller since 96 (yea old - right?) and have NEVER had an item actually get lost in the mail. Have had several that got "stuck" at some point in the tracking but eventually everything has always arrived at where it should.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Seriously? - Yes is always better to sell the same card more than once

I would definitely contact the seller (and ebay) asking "What up dog?"

As for USPS - just anecdotal but-

I have been on eBay as both buyer and seller since 96 (yea old - right?) and have NEVER had an item actually get lost in the mail. Have had several that got "stuck" at some point in the tracking but eventually everything has always arrived at where it should.
You've somehow danced through the raindrops unscathed for all that time, and against all odds.

I've only been involved again in the hobby for about six months, and there have already been two mis-delivered packages that I likely never would have gotten (had it not been for the honesty of both someone in my apartment building and another person across town).

Then there was the wrong package in my own mailbox yesterday (that I had to drop off down the hall to its rightful owner).

Obviously it doesn't happen that often, but you still see too many of these stories to not always be on alert. So I'm not surprised that the most unlucky ones (like number Seven here...go figure) occasionally hit the daily double of both botched delivery and unscrupulous recipient

Last edited by cardsagain74; 06-28-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:43 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Some things to actually do.

1. File the claim with ebay as not received. Its a large amount and they will pay attention to your claims especially with the same card listed on ebay. At least start the process of getting your money back.

2. Get copy of postal receipt/shipping label from original seller to present to post office in Brooklyn.

3. Paid via credit card either direct or Paypal? Start the chargeback process of getting your money back with them. The pressure of either ebay or your credit card company reimbursing you will force them to act.

4. Since your in an apartment in Brooklyn - this is not bad by the way... Sign up through the USPS for "Informed Delivery" service. Its free and everyday you get mail you get a scan of what is being delivered THAT day. Only thing I noticed so far is they don't scan the junk maill...

Good luck!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 06-28-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Do NOT do a chargeback. That will only hurt the seller, who seems to be innocent in this. And it's a completely unnecessary escalation.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:52 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Some things to actually do.

1. File the claim with ebay as not received. Its a large amount and they will pay attention to your claims especially with the same card listed on ebay. At least start the process of getting your money back.

2. Get copy of postal receipt/shipping label from original seller to present to post office in Brooklyn.

3. Paid via credit card either direct or Paypal? Start the chargeback process of getting your money back with them. The pressure of either ebay or your credit card company reimbursing you will force them to act.

4. Since your in an apartment in Brooklyn - this is not bad by the way... Sign up through the USPS for "Informed Delivery" service. Its free and everyday you get mail you get a scan of what is being delivered THAT day. Only thing I noticed so far is they don't scan the junk maill...

Good luck!

I actually live in a house, not an apartment. In a pretty good area of brooklyn but I think I will sign up for the informed delivery service. Concerning the chargeback approach, I would really like to wait and see considering that really only hurts the seller, but obviously If I never get the item in my possession, It's going to be an avenue that I might have to explore. I think I will file a claim with ebay, after everything that happened, assuming I do not get the card tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:10 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Interesting

It is the same card, and it is being sold by the same seller that you originally bought the card from.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:27 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
It is the same card, and it is being sold by the same seller that you originally bought the card from.
Why do you think that?
The first one was: viapdx12 (1365 ) from West Linn, Oregon
Recent one: zyx1808 (186 ) from Flemington, New Jersey

Different picture, since the second one is blurrier and has a team bag over the case.

Similar to this Michael Jordan issue found on Blowout/PSA message boards:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1385762
Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I tried reporting the new one to eBay as an illegal item, but it's saying that I can't submit it because the Ebay Item number is not accurate/active. However, I can add the card to my cart.
Maybe they've already received a few notifications through their Report Item link.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:29 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Card

The new listing has the card scanned in the shipping mylar sleeve. $1,000 card and you don't bother taking it out for a scan??. weird.

Looks like card was sold in Oregon and new listing is in NJ? Where is the OP from?

Curious what new seller will say when he finds out it was sold...
311-407 PSA 6
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 AM
Lonnie Nagel

OOPS - Yes - Wrong assumptions on my part - -

I take it then that :

1) You purchased the card BUT have not received it.
2.) You received tracking info from your seller - What does it show?
3.) There is now some other seller that is offering the same card for Sale.

Is all of that correct?

If so then maybe new seller has simply copied out an image of the card and posted a listing for one that he may or may not have in hand?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:42 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
If so then maybe new seller has simply copied out an image of the card and posted a listing for one that he may or may not have in hand?
Unlikely since the first listing shows the card not in a team bag, and the second one does. Most likely is that the card was delivered to this second seller by mistake (or he bought it from someone that stole it, as he does deal in PSA graded cards).

Card looks the exact same in both images (minor corner wear, print dot on right border near middle), so it's not a case of PSA accidentally duplicating Cert numbers (which has happened occasionally).
Old 06-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Gobucsmagic74

James, do you live in NJ?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:37 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
The new listing has the card scanned in the shipping mylar sleeve. $1,000 card and you don't bother taking it out for a scan??. weird.

Looks like card was sold in Oregon and new listing is in NJ? Where is the OP from?

Curious what new seller will say when he finds out it was sold...
From the original thread, poster is in NY.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Interesting, definitely the same card, however, I'm a bit confused. In the original posting you indicated the card was $734. In the link you provided for the card you purchased it shows $895. Which was it?

Lonnie/RIck - Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you determine they were the same seller? The original was sold by viapdx12 who became a member on 12/1/12 and is from OR. The new listing is sold by zyx1808 who became a member on 3/1/04 and is from NJ.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:35 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Interesting, definitely the same card, however, I'm a bit confused. In the original posting you indicated the card was $734. In the link you provided for the card you purchased it shows $895. Which was it?
If you make an offer through the messages, and the seller responds with a direct offer, the listing price does not get updated. Another reason not to trust previous sale values on sold listing sites.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:39 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If you make an offer through the messages, and the seller responds with a direct offer, the listing price does not get updated. Another reason not to trust previous sale values on sold listing sites.
Thanks John, I assumed it slashed through the price like a normal best offer.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Thanks John, I assumed it slashed through the price like a normal best offer.
Looks like 130point.com has the correct sale information:
Item Title: 1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle PSA 2.5 New York Yankees Sharp Bright Photo
Sale Price: 895.00 USD
Best Offer Accepted Price: 675.00 USD

Sale Date: Sat 20 Jun 2020 07:35 PM
Old 06-28-2020, 08:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Here's an earlier image from Probstein when it was sold for $645 at the end of March. Still no team bag/blurry picture.

So it's pretty much a lock the current seller bought it from the person who stole it/received it.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Larry More.y

Have you contacted the second seller of this card?

Not sure how close you live to NJ, but my guess is whoever received your package by mistake from the USPS realized that the card inside had some value (but was not knowledgeable enough to understand the serial number) and sold it to someone somewhere (LCS, craigs list, etc) who then sold it to the seller who is currently offering it. Otherwise, it would be quite ironic that the mistaken recipient would also be a seller of vintage cards on ebay.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:13 AM
Tim Odeen

I had to sign with FEDEX just last week. Its probably up to the drivers and if they feel safe. Of course, I am in a community that has les than 150 cases since March 15. So risk is low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-28-2020, 10:26 AM
James M.

Thank you all for commenting, here's the run down of the situation.

1. I got back to New York today, no package still. I reached out to the seller again describing what's going on I'm hoping I get some sort of response.

2. I'm going to the post office again on monday, I don't know if this is going to do anything but I'm hoping I get some resolution

3. I live in Brooklyn, NY. The original Seller was from Oregon, the other seller as many pointed out was from Jersey.

4. I'm not really sure where to proceed to If I don't get this item. Does any one have advice?

Thank you all for commenting.