NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default Am I missing something here?

Posted By: MVSNYC

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-Tobacco-baseball-cards-Piedmont-with-Chase-NY_W0QQitemZ270094222369QQihZ017QQcategoryZ86840QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

why did this lot of "beaters" sell for so much?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Wow! You can hit the buy it now on 6 t206's that are graded 4 or above for less than that. God bless the seller, pretty sure he is a board member here.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

hmmm.......

Dan-O....we missing something here?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

wasn't trying to put the spotlight on anyone, was just shocked by the hammer price.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

It looks like there's something seriously wrong here, the bidding jumped from $34.00 to $999 in one leap. The only thing I can think of is the owner didn't want to part with his cards for less than a $100 so he decided to make a crazy bid to discourage buyers. But if he was going to go through all that trouble, he could have simply terminated the auction.

Peter

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Just wondered how that 999 bid came in with a bid ABOVE that. The $34.00 seems pretty generous. Hopefully for him, he gets the $1K.....

Old 03-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

someone maybe hit an extra 9 ?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

*"Hopefully for him, he gets the $1K"*

I disagree. Something wrong here. I know Darby-S is a well respected member of this board and had nothing to do with this fiasco but if I were he I wouldn't expect payment and would just let it go.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...ebay buyers who decide to snipe at ridiculously high prices, just to ensure they win at no matter the cost. I always wondered what would happen if two of these people were interested in the same item. Perhaps that is what happened here.....

Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Whatever the explanation, I don't think the buyer got a very good deal. Is it possible people outside the hobby have no idea what they are doing? Because I've seen bad deals before, but this one is really, really bad.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Barry,

Perhaps I'm asking for too much, but I would assume people use some common sense in setting a snipe. If they had no idea what a group of cards were worth, wouldn't they set the snipe lower.

Peter

Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Chase, Ford and Sweeney could all have the Piedmont 42 back--but it would still be a miserable deal for the buyer given the condition of the cards. I just don't get this one at all. Possibly the worst non-scam eBay pickup I've ever seen.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Peter- when you set an extravagantly high snipe, you run the risk that somebody else came up with the same clever idea. Perhaps that is what happened here. Who knows, maybe the winner is in a state of shock right now.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if you click the winning bidders feedback,he already recieved it for his bid on this item! i guess the dope threw up a real high snipe.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Check his feedback now- re: that auction.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Looks like the buyer knew he overpaid and reneged on the deal. What a loser.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Hi guys, I am the seller and you haven't missed anything here. this group of beaters is worth a cup of coffee at best. Obviously, someone has it out for me and used 2 different ID's to destroy one of my auctions and my feedback. There is no way there are 2 people in this world who would set snipes that high on these junkers. This was malicious and I guess expected as I have so many friends. No sweat, I dish it out so I will take it as well. Thanks to all here for the kind words though, I do appreciate the support. Take Care Dan.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I was about to start consigning my stuff to you to auction....ha ha

Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am sorry to hear this happened to you. I am ok if you find out who this was and want to "out" him here....your call. I hate when people do this crap and would like everyone to know who did it, including myself. best regards

Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator

dan- i had no idea you were the seller. sorry for putting the spotlight on your auction.

you & i had a very successful transaction with the DRUM PSA 1, you are a great guy, sorry you went thru this.

Best-
MS

Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Dan- if you truly believe this was done to you maliciously, you must have a pretty good idea who it is. And I agree, he should be outted. This is another example of why hidden bidding was a bad idea; if this idiot's identity was known, he might be reluctant to sabotage your sale.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

OUT 'em here.......hang 'em in the courtyard.....wait, we don't have a courtyard. Had to believe something wierd was up. Knew Dan-O was above board. Hopefully you figure it out........

Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Hey no sweat posting this thread, heck I almost posted a thread on this when I saw the final price. I like to think I have an idea of what I am doing with these little pieces of cardboard but I was stumped for awhile on this one. Then the emails started coming on how he meant to key in $40 instead of whatever he keyed above $1009. I asked him if he was also the underbidder and he got nasty and asked me if I worked for ebay. Someone somewhere wants a piece of me, feel the rush!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Dan:

Not real sure the "winning" bidder and Bidder 1 ($999.00) are the same person. If you look at their bidding histories and categories of interest they are completely different. Your "winner" does appear to be a PSA golf card nut. Bidder 1 is all over the board.

Mystery to me.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Dan,

That’s messed up??? What really ticks me off is I thought I had a chance with my bid of $649.95 for them….but goes to show I just cant win things on eBay!

All kidding aside I perhaps you 2 can do the mutually withdrawal feedback thing….

Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

I haven't dug into it yet Steve, it may be a friend of the attacker. I sent him a 2nd chance offer and of course never heard back. I will file with ebay as they have other tools to compare behind the scenes. Hopefully I can get the feedback removed. Barry, as many people that hate me, I have no clue who it is. I have it narrowed to about 3000 people though. I did have a recent problem with the nutcase that won my 1968 topps Kranepool sticker. He won and won't pay. He won for $55.01 and then sent an email stating it was only worth $35. After a few exchanges these bids on the beater T206's posted. May be coincidence may not be.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

Dan,

for what its worth, I love ya pal! Pain in the ass all this stuff, sorry its been your headache. Good seeing you at the show, that was fun, and I hope you sold some goodies.

rob

Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

The first bid of $999 was put in two days prior to auction close. Assuming this was not a malicious early bid, this bidder's strategy when he wants to win something (and he has between 100 and 499 feedback) might be to bid $999 on an auction early, and assume he will beat all snipers.

The winning bid of $1,009 came with 2 seconds left in the auction. That was either a very quick insert, which would explain the error in typing "4000" instead of "40.00" -- my assumption of what his bid was. Again, assuming no malicious activity.

Given the number of feedbacks for each bidder, and a plausible explanation for both bids, I think there is a reasonable probability that this was a combination bad ebay strategy + erroneous snipe. Maybe 30% to 40% this scenario?

Which brings me to my final observation -- the leaving of feedback. Dan left the first negative feedback, and was hit with a retaliatory negative feedback. First of all, if I believed I was getting screwed with, I would never leave the first negative feedback -- obviously retaliation would follow. Second of all, there is a reasonable likelihood that a mistake was made, so a negative feedback may not have even been warranted in the first place.

All I am saying is I would have handled the situation differently from the seller's side -- even assuming bidders were conspiring against me. Indeed, it would take a series of supposed plots like this before I would start to throw caution to the wind and let loose with initial negative feedbacks, complaints to ebay, etc.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

and that is that Bidder 1 also made an error in placing his bid. He was intending to put in $9.99 not $999.00. Then because of the delay of ebay notification that he had been outbid and due to his failure to keep track of the auction to see that he had been outbid his $999.00 stood right up to the end when our hapless "winner" bid his $4000.

In all other repsects your analysis is right on.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Man with all the crap people do in this world the fact that you think this was all a big mistake makes me laugh.

Perhaps bidder 1 ment to put 99.99, which would still be a lot for this lot, but are you seriously trying to convince me that with 2 seconds left in the auciton someone bid and added extra zeros.

Come on guys lets be realistic. Dan thinks he has people out to get him and it would be really easy to mess with a few persons auctions and leave negative feedback.

The one thing I agree with is I wouldn't have left the neg so quickly and would have gone to ebay first.

Dan call power seller support they are your best bet for getting anything resolved.

Good luck, as for the rest of you that think this was a big mistake, I think you need a wake up call on how badly sellers can get screwed with on ebay.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Dan- There are a lot of us who like you and think you're a helluva guy so don't lose any sleep over some cretin doing this.
tbob

Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Wow!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

"Good luck, as for the rest of you that think this was a big mistake, I think you need a wake up call on how badly sellers can get screwed with on ebay."

I've got nearly 500 unique feedback as buyer and seller of T206 cards on ebay -- never a single problem. So, I do have a lot of faith in T206 collectors, perhaps too much.

But, I am not saying it was 100% a mistake. I said there was a reasonable chance it wasn't -- and I put that likelihood at under 50%.

I am not saying the guy added two zeros... I am saying he missed his period. I often add a nominal amount to my bids, to keep it off a round number. Thus, if I were going to bid $40 on something, I'd make it $41.13 or something. It would be SUPER easy to not hit the period at the right time and bid $4113 by accident. A mistake that is easy to understand.

If I had been burned as many times as Dan has, I might start to think people were out to get me, too. And, just because you think people are "out to get you" doesn't mean they aren't, to be sure. But I happen to think it is at least a likely that two ebay bidders are making stupid and careless bids, rather than conspiring to screw Dan in a junk T206 auction.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

"I am saying he missed his period"

Nice

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Gents, you didn't see the emails between me and the bidder so you really shouldn't judge my actions on the feedback. Also, he has bogus contact info, a phone area code that doesn't even exist. This is grounds for me to have just his negative removed from my ID. Finally, the ebay feedback system is a complete joke so who cares that he retaliated? And what are the odds that 2 large mistakes just happened on this item? And as Steve pointed out, these 2 bidders never bid on this kind of material. Could he have just made a mistake? I guess that is possible and I would have let him out easily as I do many bidders that hit my BIN's for Ravens tickets thinking there are 2 when I clearly state just 1 ticket. An honest mistake. I understand mistakes and make them myself. But based on the facts I have and you don't, (and I am not posting any more email threads here) I feel that this was no mistake.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

but I don't get it. The very first bidder placed a $999 bid two days before auction end. If he wanted to screw Dan, topping all bids and then telling him to pound sand, why put in a second, snipe bid under a new name with a few seconds left? His first bid would clearly carry the day. Is it just to jack up final ebay fees? If so, aren't those refundable or non-assessed if you have a non-paying bidder?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

If that was a legit early bid and he really wanted them, then why ignore my emails? Why not write and offer the $35 he would have won it for if it wasn't for the typo of 17 extra zeros?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

...is that a person who bids $999 on junk two days' prior to the close of an auction is at least an idiot. Idiots don't answer e-mails very well, especially ones that highlight they're idiots. Even if he isn't conspiring against you, he's certainly an idiot.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

and that somebody is either malicious or idiotic. I just don't know why there would be a second "unique" bidder conspiring, or what that accomplishes.