NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Michael

Default eBay Buyer Sued For Leaving Negative Feedback on $6.44 Item

Couldn't believe it when I read it, so thought I would share it.

Orange County man sued over negative eBay feedback
May 23, 2012
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 AM

that's crazy
Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 AM
qualitycards

Buyer waited over 30 days w/o receiving item before posting his negative feedback.
It wasn't like he left it after 48 hours.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
T0NY @

Man I gotta become a lawyer.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This should go back to the absolute defense of libel or slander being the "truth". As long as the guy that gave the negative is being 100% truthful then he shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's still a hassle and in some states the loser of particular lawsuits has to pay both legal fees (I believe). Hopefully that is what will happen there. The only negatives I have ever given on ebay were for a few small items I bought that were just out and out theft. I think the 2-3 sellers I neg'd got booted quickly afterwards.

It is worth repeating that everyone is legally liable for what they say on this board too. Believe me, there have been threads on this board used in court cases already. I will be happy to work with any authorities on these issues. I have had calls from Postal Inspectors, USPS Special Agents, FBI and local authorities. It is always my pleasure to help them in their investigations.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

The world keeps getting crazier.....uh oh hope Mother Earth don't sue me now....please delete

Last edited by yanksfan09; 06-10-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Bob Pomilla

Not the best way to attract customers.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Just when I thought I head everything.....
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

The fact that the courts even let something like this happen shows that there's something majorly wrong with the system. There's no excuse, it's all about money to them, and there's no accountability.. Something needs to change.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
jim quinlisk

It would only be fair if he sued everybody and not just that one buyer who thought he was a bad seller

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?Use...ed+by&ref=home
Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Maybe someone should take a closer look at the seller, selling bootleg copies of tv shows. He had at least 2 negs for "The Wonder Years" and "Batman" being bootlegs instead of official copies..
Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM

You can give a negative if you want. That's just your opinion, and opinions, even if not entirely lucid or rational, are generally perfectly legal. Now, if you purposely lied in the comment that could be different. Like if you lied and said the seller purposely did something really bad, and perhaps illegal, like made and sold you a forgery or stole the money.

If this case is as the buyer says (I said if, as I take local news reports with a large grain of salt-- especially when the article interviews just one side in a dispute), his comments sounded reasonable. I suspect most sellers would view them as reasonable.

Last edited by drc; 06-10-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 PM
$cotty @.utin

His responses only make it worse for him.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ebay's feedback system has become a bad joke I don't even bother with. When I have a problem with a seller I just file a paypal claim and leave it at that.

Remember, just because someone has the $ to file a lawsuit doesn't mean he will win it. "Mere opinion" is not a basis for a defamation or trade libel claim and truth is a defense. The plaintiff still has to prove a case.

What's really going on when a business targets a critic often is a strategic lawsuit against public participation--we call it a SLAPP suit--which is litigation filed to scare people into not expressing views that might damage a commercial interest. The theory is that if you sue a vocal critic and subject him to ruinous attorneys' fees and costs you can scare everyone else into not commenting. A case like that filed in CA is subject to a motion to dismiss on the basis of CA's anti-SLAPP law, which provides for an award of attorneys' fees to the prevailing defendant. I handled a case like that some years ago for a N54 member:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2005...lifornia-judge

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM

If you are a restaurant owner, beating the crap out of a random customer might prove a point, but it won't help your business.

Tags
ebay