NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default 1st graded cards ?

Posted By: jP

i have a question that may have already been brought up in the past. so here goes. i have seen graded cards im talking about GAI that say "1st graded" i kind of have an idea as to the meaning of this. But can someone elaborate a little more on this, what does it mean? is this a real big deal that the grading company puts on there that it is 1st graded ? and does this raise the value of the card not so much in terms of worth but is it more appealing to a collector of graded cards only, to have a 1st graded slabbed card ? hope i didnt confuse anyone and do appreciate the responses, i look forward to them and to learn a bit more about our awesome hobby!

happy collecting!

jP

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I believe that "1st graded" indicates just that. It was the first card of that player for that set that was graded by GAI. Hold on though. I was told that it could be the first card graded at any grade. For example - there could be several different T206 Cobb Greens that are listed as "1st graded" because there could be a "1st graded" card that was graded a "1" and another "1st graded" card that was graded a "2", etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I got quite a few of these. It only means the "first graded" for the grade received by that particular card. It means nothing to me. If it has any real meaning, someone please let me know why?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

i personally do not think it matters in value but maybe in personal taste...it would be nice to receive that 1st graded vintage card in an 8 or 9 and i probably would keep it if i actually received it from gai and not purchased it.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

The Judge is correct.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Ironically, many collectors hold a bias against cards graded early in the company's existance, whether it's PSA or SGC, as they feel they were less strict early on. Though a complaint was that early vintage Beckett grades were too harsh.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

double post

Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

It does indeed mean that it is the first card they graded IN EACH GRADE. So it's possible to have a 1938 Goudey Bobby Doerr GAI 1 First Graded, and a 1938 Goudey Bobby Doerr GAI 2 First Graded.

It means absolutely nothing. It is, to quote another thread, puffery.

-Al

Old 11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

There's no harm in the designation (doesn't hurt anybody), but I don't know why there would be special attraction to the very first VgEx or ExMt grade of any card-- to the point that someone would pay extra money for it.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

If memory serves GAI also had another "first" something or other
listed to signify it being one of the first 25 or so graded of that card & grade.
I think they abandoned that designation awhile ago, maybe a few months into their inaugural year.

Maybe "first series" or something, does anyone else remember this? ...jay

Old 11-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Thanks Al. I agree completely. It does no harm , or any good. Once again, it is the first card given that grade, for that particular card, not the first card of it's type graded. I "wish" it meant it was the first card of it's type graded. That would mean I have a lot of cards that are one of a kind. That would be kinda' cool. But NOT.........

Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

A good marketing idea would be a registry of individual cards to make a complete 1st graded card run for a single card, HOF collection or a complete set. The possibilites are endless:>)

Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Any "1st Graded" GAI cards I get are the "1st Cards to be Cracked out of their Holders"!
RayB

Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

awesome responses guys! and the response was fast too. i get a better understanding now as to what it means. does anyone know when GAI 1st opened for operations ?

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

The are many numerologicists who collect. I can promise you that if GAI chonologically numbered all of their grades, someone would pay extra for for the 4th graded Brett Favre card as it matches his jersey number. Same would go for the cards of Peyton Manning, Barry Bonds and Wayne Gretzky ("I had to crack and resubmit the same Gretzky card 98 times, but it was worth it. Sweet 99th graded.")

Old 11-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

When GAI opened for business PSA and SGC were already established and they needed some clever marketing gimmick to get people to notice them and that was it. At first glance a collector might say "wow, I own the first one ever graded", but at second glance will realize that it is completely meaningless.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

The best thing for business is to do the best job grading and authenticing. Over the long haul, you will get your business as you will be known to do a good job. Even if you're a small time operation, if you do a top notch job even PSA, SGC and Beckett collectors will acknowledge you as a reputable alternative and will buy your cards.

Because of their reputation, there are small time autograph dealers/collectors whose LOAs are considered as reputable as GAI or PSA. They are reputable, not because of the size of their offices or number of employees (they may work from home with no employees), but because of their knowledge and experience.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

David- I think from reading the posts on this board that perhaps the opposite is true. It seems that in the minds of some that GAI has become more lenient in their grading over time and thus the "first graded" cards might be graded tougher.
tbob

Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

All cards I have gotten back, are fairly graded. Not better than should be, nor worse. I see no difference in there 1st, 2nd, or 3rd's. I see no logic in applying more importance to a card, just because it is the first one of it's kind to be given a specific grade. If they are being more stringent, or less stringent, then they are not doing their job very well. A grade, is a grade, is a grade. No matter if it first last, or middle. I don't want cards that are overgraded. I want cards that are correctly graded. Because if they are overgrading mine, that means they are overgrading some elses.