NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Default Whoops I Bid Too Much

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I was bidding on an auction the other day with 20 seconds left and accidently put in a $60,238 bid instead of $603.00, Thanks goodness the under bidder didn't go nuts and won the card for $687, little more than I wanted to pay but can live with it.

I also accidently dropped in a $10,000 on an auction but had enough time to retract my bid and explain it to the seller. A few board members could and kindly gave me the business about it.

Have others of you done similar mistakes? If so what was the damage?

Lee

Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I did that once, but had time to retract my bid. It wasn't a problem with the seller

Old 11-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joseph

About two years ago I was on ebay and was looking at a card that kard-r-us had for sale. The card had a opening price of $50 and a buy me price of $300. I thought I hit the opening bid price but placed the buy me price of $300. I contacted the seller and told him of my error and that I would pay the ebay charge for relisting the card. I thought I was being fair but this clown wanted $50 for the ebay charge and the rest for himself. I told him that $50 was out of line. He gave me a neg. response and that taught me to be more careful when bidding on ebay.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

That's a dealer that I would be following and making sure I killed every BIN he had in auction. It wouldn't take long to cost him $50 in BIN fees.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I did it about 4 months ago. Instead of bidding $28.00 on a T206, I place a whooping bid of $2800.00. I won the card at $41 against another board member and offered it to him at his high bid of $40. I thought it was only fair as the card should have rightly his. He never responded and I still own the card. Luckily, it was only a $13 mistake, something I could live with. And by the way, it was through a snipe service and the amount if I looked was clearly visible.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

I accidetally bid $5900.00 for a PSA2 t206 Jennings portrait. Luckily I got away with it at $93.00. More than I wanted to pay, but I still made money on it a few years later. Again, it taught me a lesson to be more careful when bidding.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

My wife’s first time bidding on eBay she bid $6800 for a Columbia jacket I think the final price paid was $63.00 but she's never bid on eBay again. I remember waiting the final few seconds...my god.

Sean BH

Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

My problem is I bid too much on purpose to make sure I get the card

Old 11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

My ebay ID is hoofaway. I had a bidder send me an email with less than 20 minutes left in the auction telling me they had bid too much by mistake, and that they didn't want the item. I never saw the email until after the auction ended. I explained to the buyer that a bid was a bid, and should be considered binding. The buyer surprised me and paid-it was about a $350 item. I'm sure it has happened before, but nobody else has mentioned it.

Bid early! (wink wink!)