NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Default Monback, monback, monback, whoa!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Sometimes it is time to stop, particularly if you have been moving backwards for a while.
I submit for your consideration the joy of back collecting. A taste which I have yet to acquire.
Please allow me to cite an example:
We have the American Caramel Co. E121 cards which consist of the Series of 80, produced in 1921;
And the series of 120 produced the following year. There is one main back variation in this set.
In the series of 80, the last line ends in either in the word “the” or the word “eighty” (I do not know which is rarer).

But that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Because the pool of photos which this set was drawn from, apparently was available to other manufacturers.

This apparent availability results in a variety of backs (and blank backs, I presume), as shown below.

E-Unc. Witmor Candy
D350-3 Standard Biscuit
D381-2 Clark’s Bread
E-Unc. Lou Gertenrich Candy
E-Unc. Henry A. Johnson Confectioner
W 575-1 B&W Strip Cards
D-Unc. Gasslers American Maid Bread
D-Unc. Haffners Big Tayto Loaf Bread

I wonder if future collectors will decide that this area of specialization is not for most hobbiests, and will relegate the pursuit of such fascination to the truly unusual niche collector.

But really, before those no fun furure people show up, maybe we can enjoy our cards for a little while. I was thinking: why not combine all of these under the e121 umbrella, much like those t206s are currently collected.

It would be different tho. Cy Young would be gone, Matty too. But the Big Train and Cobb would still be here, Speaker too. And we would get George Sisler, Pete Alexander, Hornsby and Ruth. And way more.

The t206 set of the 20s.
Neva happin