NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Posted By: Brian

I am wondering if anyone has seen a print like this one. It appears to be an original print and measures about 12" x 14". The player is my great-grandfather, Frank Miller, and the photo was given to me by my parents who received it from my great-grandmother. The curious thing is that it is the same photo used in the Obak T4 and T212. I have been tempted to take it out of the frame to see if there is any marking on the back, but there is a letter to my parents from my great-grandfather on the frame's backing.

Here is another photo of him that I am not sure of where it came from:

Would love to hear if anyone has any information on these.
Thanks,
-Brian

Old 04-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Posted By: Dan Bretta

WOW. Neat item. I don't know anything about it, but it could be possible that the players recieved a copy of the photo from the photographer who took the Obak photos. Probably one of a kind.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Posted By: craig

really neat stuff with great family value. i dont think its the same photo used on the T4. really close, but the wrinkles on the jersey arent matching up, on the left sleeve. he seems to be standing verticle in the T4.

really cool though
craig

Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Just pulled them out for a closer look; they are definitely the same photo.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I thought this was really cool. I just got a copy of the Baseball Hall of Fame's file on my great-grandfather and there was a newspaper article in there that had this photo showing the picture hanging on the wall behind him.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Posted By: jackgoodman

Great picture and keepsake!!!!!!!!! By the way, is that your grandmother in the picture behind him?

Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

That is my aunt in the picture, and probably either my dad or uncle behind his shoulder.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

The article that the picture was in was great too. One story in it was that he pitched two complete 9 inning games on the same day for San Francisco. From the article:

They played two games on Sunday. They played the first at Oakland in the moring, then went back across the bay to play their second on the home diamond. Frank had pitched and won the morning game at Oakland and, while the team traveled back to San Francisco, the manager tried to talk him into starting the second game. Frank held out for a $100 bonus and it was almost game time before the check was forthcoming and he went to the mound for his second 9-innings of the day.

-----

Another fun story in the article:

You might , for example, be treated to a re-telling of the big day in 1913 - when Frank was on leave from the Chicago White Sox because of an illness suffered earlier that year. That was the year (and only year) that Allegan supported a semi-pro baseball team. Allegan's ace pitcher was Eddy Flood - a native of Pennsylvania - and the local promoters of the "national past-time" decided it would be great to put on an "Eddy Flood Day". Allegan's opponents on the big day would be the Grand Haven semi-pro team - coached by Ray "Dad" Hale - and the promoters thought it would be just great to get "Bullet" Miller - a home-town boy now in the major leagues - to pitch against Flood. They offered Frank $300 to pitch the game. The game drew a capacity crowd. Local sponsors decided to give Eddy Flood a banquet with some of the proceeds.
Frank Miller remembers other aspects of the game. After the banquet was paid for, the promoters could only scratch up $75 to pay him - $225 short of the original deal. He still figures he has it coming to him.
There was of course some satisfaction in the fact that the Grand Haven team defeated Allegan 14-0.
This was due, in part, to Miller's pitching ("I don't think any of them had ever seen a knuckle ball before") and to a ploy of "Dad" Hale's which Frank recalls with relish.
"Ray knew that Flood only had two pitches - a fast sudter and a slow curve which broke on the outside. Getting ready for the big game, he got a bunch of well-aged ash wagon tongues, took them to a Grand Haven furniture factory and had them turned into bats, 40 inches long."
"Now the maximum length bat in those days was supposed to be 36 inches and I told Ray that everybody would notice the difference. But he said they wouldn't and he was right. Every time a Grand Haven player went to bat it looked to me as though he was carrying a fish-pole over his shoulder, but no one even noticed. Those extra long bats made mincemeat out of Eddy Flood's outside curve. Half the hits went into the river," Miller said.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Posted By: Max Weder

Brian

Great photo and article! (No need to send me a scan of the photo, as I can see it on my home computer )

Thanks,

Max

Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Origin of Photo

Posted By: davidcycleback

For photos, good provenance can increase value. That the photo has a letter from the player to family on the back, and there's a published article with a picture of the player proudly standing next to the photo is hard to beat.