NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2015, 01:32 PM

Default 1860s baseball team photograph (CDV)

I mistakenly posted this in the for sale forum. Don't know how to delete that posting, but here it is in the correct forum:

I am an antique photo collector and just got in this early 1860s baseball team carte de visite.

The center player has a bat and ball.

Based on the backmark (Warren, Cambridgeport, Mass) and type of photo, I would think that this cdv dates from about 1861- 1864.

I spent a good bit of time online researching Boston area teams, but didn't find a similar image.

I thought that someone on here might be of assistance.

Any/ all information or research suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4521.jpg (76.8 KB, 324 views)
Old 10-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a fantastic cdv. Very early indeed. Others will be sure to help more but I wanted to say how neat it is.

Last edited by Leon; 10-31-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM

Really nice photo. If you have not checked out Lovett,s Old Boston Boys and the Games They Played, it may be helpful, since it covers the relevant time period and includes photos of Harvard and Lowell teams. None match up exactly, but you may find a player or two. Good luck
Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Really nice photo. If you have not checked out Lovett,s Old Boston Boys and the Games They Played, it may be helpful, since it covers the relevant time period and includes photos of Harvard and Lowell teams. None match up exactly, but you may find a player or two. Good luck
Thanks-- I will take a look when I get access to a copy of the book.

I would think the two TALL bookends may be a key to eventually identifying the team.

Thanks again.

Scott
Old 10-31-2015, 05:07 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Bookends

Wondering if those bookends are fraternal twins. Similar look and height.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Phillips Academy 1864

I was able to identify the cdv-- it depicts an 1864 team from Phillips Academy in Andover.

The team was organized by a new student who had played on a Brooklyn Professional team. He might be the older gent in the center with the ball and bat.

Online link to identification:

http://digital.baseballjournal.com/n...startid=30#/30

Scott
Old 11-01-2015, 02:11 PM
pete ullman

great photo...
Old 11-01-2015, 02:22 PM
GaryPassamonte

That's a beauty. Could you post a scan of the reverse?

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-01-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Warren backmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
That's a beauty. Could you post a scan of the reverse?
Here is the backmark.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4527.jpg (86.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:01 PM
GaryPassamonte

Thanks. That mark is more elaborate than the other Warren identifiers I've seen.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default interesting

Neat photo. Gary about your last comment - do you think that in terms of a chronology in general that things like the photographers attribution/back stamps became more elaborate just as the mounts would become more embellished? It would seem that way to me. I had studied cabinet mounts a little when I collected images of women ballplayers but moved on before I got to the next class dealing with the studios and such.......
Old 11-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Thanks. That mark is more elaborate than the other Warren identifiers I've seen.
This type of backmark is fairly typical of Civil War era cdvs.

Were the photographer's markings that you saw on later photographs?

Scott
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
Neat photo. Gary about your last comment - do you think that in terms of a chronology in general that things like the photographers attribution/back stamps became more elaborate just as the mounts would become more embellished? It would seem that way to me. I had studied cabinet mounts a little when I collected images of women ballplayers but moved on before I got to the next class dealing with the studios and such.......
Actually, the backmarks tend to get more elaborate and larger as you get later in the 19th century.

The card itself is also a key indicator of era. Civil War era cards are on thinner stock, with square (vs. rounded) corners.

Scott
Old 11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default that was my question

one would think as the aesthetic appearance of the mounts evolved that the backmarks, lettering, typography would likely mirror such changes (evolution) and become more elaborate as a general rule.
I know Gary has a lot of experience at least in regard to the base ball cdv's and figured I'd ask as "good" knowledge is king :-) I had no question specific to the CDV shown although I'm happy to listen......
Old 11-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
one would think as the aesthetic appearance of the mounts evolved that the backmarks, lettering, typography would likely mirror such changes (evolution) and become more elaborate as a general rule.
I know Gary has a lot of experience at least in regard to the base ball cdv's and figured I'd ask as "good" knowledge is king :-) I had no question specific to the CDV shown although I'm happy to listen......
I deal in antique photographs and handle a lot of antique images, so I feel fairly confident in dating images and can usually make a quick (and accurate) call. I am always willing to provide assistance in dating antique photographs.

BTW I just did a search on ebay and found this image dated 11 FEB 1865 that carries the SAME Warren backmark:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251214546838...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Scott
Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 PM
GaryPassamonte

There's no question the backmarks on cdvs became more elaborate as the 19th century progressed. Interestingly, the Ross Barnes cdv I have taken by Warren has a simple "Warren Cambridgeport Mass" marking situated diagonally on the reverse, which is less elaborate than the cdv that is the subject of this thread. This is an exception to the norm.
Also, based on the mount style and uniform style, this cdv is certainly dated to the early-mid 1860s.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-01-2015 at 07:18 PM.