NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Default Help with a first timer setting up a table at a show

Hi guys!

Personally I have never set up at table in my life but have been to many shows.

My son and his best friend, both 15, want to reserve a table at the local show and sell some basketball cards. (what they both are into)

I am astronomically proud of his inititive and supportive. I think the rest of the traditional dealers are going to be a tad surprised to see these two kids giving this a shot. I am thinking it will be a good life lesson for him.

Any advice on what I should set him up with as far as materials and info for a successful day?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 10-30-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Rich Klein

I have written tons of columns and made tons of posts on various sites abo

First: PRIE YOUR CARDS. I know some people are fine having to ask about pricing or think they know all their prices cold but when I go to a table and don't see a price -- I just keep walking

Second: All cards I sell are already in sleeves, semi-rigids or BGS holders. If you have loose cards, bring paper bags to put the cards into.

Third: Figure out, and we had a spirited discussin recently, what is your purpose in selling your cards. If you are going for profit then study the market and be ready on the most popular cards; if you are going to recoup your outlay, then know what you have into your cards and if you are using spare cards to generate cash to buy cards for your collection, then enjoy the ride and flip those cards for what you want.

We have some kids and teenagers who set uo at times at my show. Their money is as good as anyone else's and they usually have a good time and that is what counts.

Just some ideas of the top of my head

Rich
Old 10-30-2015, 03:14 PM

Set out your cards with prices and be ready to negotiate. That's it. If you are reasonable with prices you will create a few sales, meet new people, and make plenty deals.

Any dealer that is making fun of kids for taking it upon themselves to open up a table is not a dealer this hobby needs.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:03 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Not sure how to quote two people. I agree with everything Rich and Sean said. As for materials they could need: cash box, it keeps the bills neat and in a safe place. Paper and some sort of marker, for impromptu signs. Bags for customers and extra sleeves. Some people don't like your sticker/sharpie price on their card! Weird, in my opinion, but to each their own. Water and a snack. Jerky,peanuts the such. Smiles. Seriously. It helps. Extra stickers to price on the fly. Also, paper towels. I know it sounds silly but they come in handy.

I wish them the best and I hope you convey my message to them. I'm sure they could school me on some of the newer products.

Cheers
Matt

Last edited by Laxcat; 10-30-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Thanks for everything guys!

Just as an idea, (and as a reference they will be dealing in low dollar cards, nothing fancy) how much change should I set them up with?

All advice welcome!

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Thanks for everything guys!

Just as an idea, (and as a reference they will be dealing in low dollar cards, nothing fancy) how much change should I set them up with?

All advice welcome!
Give them $100 in ones. Holding a stack of cash that thick is an experience that should make them giddy. It does the same for me, to this day.

Additionally, give them fives and tens, perhaps ten of each. This method also gives them a bank of $250 to buy cards.

During the show, make your presence known to prospective buyers. This will plant a seed within their minds. Just strike up a conversation, and then pass the torch and let the kids run their business. Would-be con artists who don't pass the," smell test" will move on when dealing with an adult. True hobbyists will likely treat the kids fairly...or better.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Scott Ti3k

I would suggest picking up a counterfeit pen! Two kids sitting at a table (with little cash handling experience) might seem to be an easy mark for an unscrupulous buyer. Also explain to them the concept of the "quick change" artist!

Other than that everything everyone mentioned above and most importantly have fun!

Good luck!

Scott
Old 10-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Just 2 suggestions.

1. Place prices on all items.

2. Don't eat your lunch while working the tables. If you have no choice, then put it down and clean your hands when a customer walks up to your table.

I have walked away from many tables when the dealer was too busy eating to acknowledge me.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Larry

Should be a great experience for all of you, Justin. I had a series of ads running in SCD selling '50's and 60's cards in 1997 under the dba of Forever Summer cards, and it was enlightening, but never set up a table at a show. I eventually found that my propensity for keeping the nice stuff was too strong for me to do well as a seller, as my wife didn't hesitate to let me know!

Best of luck to all of you, and hope its a great experience,

Larry
Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Thanks again guys.

As a bank teller and a cashier in my college days, I have had the experience with the quick change artist. Dealing with bigger fish now in my mortgage days, but I think I can help them from a short distance.

I plan on just sitting far enough away to give them independence but also a quick helping hand if needed.

The magic day is in December so I feel I have some good time to prep him.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Eric Bea.chley

The "quick change artist" suggestion is a good one. Hopefully there is a YouTube video of one in action. I once was behind one at a KFC some years ago and was not not really paying attention. Just waiting my turn. When they left it occurred to me what happened and I realized they took about $60 from the cashier. Replaying it in my mind I was amazed at how natural it looked.

Water = bathroom breaks = missed opportunities. They can drink when the show is over.

Know what % reduction they will accept when negotiating. Like 10% for anyone who asks, 20% for sales over $100, etc.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:23 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

Set out your cards with prices and be ready to negotiate. That's it. If you are reasonable with prices you will create a few sales, meet new people, and make plenty deals.

Any dealer that is making fun of kids for taking it upon themselves to open up a table is not a dealer this hobby needs.

+1
Old 10-30-2015, 09:24 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Unless they plan on being silent and having someone else load/unload then I wouldn't skip the water. Just my opinion. Plus there are two of them. Safety in numbers. They can take turns at the bathroom.

Last edited by Laxcat; 10-30-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:18 PM

Excellent suggestions from everyone so far -- recapping, list form:
> prices marked on all items
> cash box
> ample change before the show starts
> penny sleeves, at minimum, on hand
> paper & pen for improvised signage
> paper bags for customer purchases
> know HOW to haggle and be prepared to do some (a little practise with dad acting as both a reasonable and unreasonable customer might help)
> snacks and a beverage supply, and not close to cards nor while handling cards
> paper towels, 'cause ya never know
> prepare for quick-change scammers -- and keep a constant, constant eye on the inventory
> never leave the table unattended

We'd add this golden rule: "do unto customers as you'd want a vendor to do unto you." No matter how the day is going sales-wise,
greet anybody and everybody who so much as walks by with a hello and a smile -- but just that, no hard-sell requests to "check these out!"
And if they're dealing with one customer at the moment and a second prospective customer stops by, acknowledge the second guy
immediately -- "hi, we'll be with ya in just a moment."
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Robert J. Miller

Another one (for me at least) is a calculator.
I also take scotch tape, 3x5 index cards and even a few paper clips. You never know when making impromptu signs what you might need.
Robert
Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Bret

I did a show a couple of years ago and below are my thoughts on what worked:

1) Definitely have change as best you can. You don't want to miss sales because of this.

2) Have "bargain bins" for the lower priced stuff such as inserts and parallels. What I had was a $0.25 per card box of these types of cards which was very popular. I also had a auto box (if they have a bunch) which was $5 each or 3 for $10. This helped moved the lower priced autos

3) Invest in a case if they have higher priced items. You might be able to rent or borrow from your LCS which is what I did. Also if they plan to do this more than once you can sometimes buy old ones from other dealers.

4) Engage in discussions with the customers. Ask them if there is anyone specific they are looking for. Worst thing is going up to a booth and having a lame seller who never talks.

5) Use as a trading or buying opportunity. They might be able to pickup some stuff using the money they make or even make trades outright.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Larry More.y

I have always had great luck placing a sign in front of a box reading "x (number) OF CARDS FOR $1 (or $2, etc)". I typically place a few 5000 ct boxes loaded with appropriately priced cards on my table(s). The good news is I usually had multiple people (the customer at each of the boxes) to converse with throughout the entire show as there always seemed to be people willing to go through each of the boxes in their entirety. At times during the show, I found it tough to find a break in between someone searching a box to refill it.

Not only did I pass time quickly, build relationships, etc. with these conversations, but by having these customers invest their time at my table, they were NOT spending their money elsewhere. I seemed to move a lot more cards in this way than the days when I would show up with a few showcases of reasonably priced HOFers/stars/etc.