NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Jeff

Default Thoughts On Vintage Snapshot Photographs

Just wondering what the boards thoughts on vintage snapshots are, they seem to be an area of collecting that's picking up lately. Nice ones seem to be going for more than they did a year ago when I first started picking up a few. There was a nice run of 1933 Yankees shots that went off on ebay today and some brought some good coin (Gehrig $430, stars around $100 each). Personally, I like them!
Jeff

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 12-23-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Snap Shot Photos

I know I think there pretty cool and for what I collect only come around every once in a while and go for decent money when they do become available.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Dave Foster

They are pretty slick. Even if you didn't take the snaps, today, they give you a vicarious sensation that you were there and did.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:49 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I really like them. I don't necessarily go out of my way for them but will pick them up when they are inexpensive enough and they speak to me. I love the vintage fan aspect as well as the unique quality.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Snapshots have been going up in price over the years. That's a fact.

However, the ones you are talking about went for crazy amounts...and I would consider a serious outlier. Lefty Gomez $79..??? Tony Lazzeri $112?! Bill Dickey $64?!? Common snapshots $30- 40? It seems to be the same two people. Not saying it's shill, but I have plenty of these snapshots, I'll sell at half those prices if interested!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They’re fun. A nice one can sell well. They definitely give me a feel for the game and it’s people back in the day that cards sometimes don’t.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-24-2017, 04:48 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Snapshots have been going up in price over the years. That's a fact.

However, the ones you are talking about went for crazy amounts...and I would consider a serious outlier. Lefty Gomez $79..??? Tony Lazzeri $112?! Bill Dickey $64?!? Common snapshots $30- 40? It seems to be the same two people. Not saying it's shill, but I have plenty of these snapshots, I'll sell at half those prices if interested!
I think those particular snapshots sold high for a couple of reasons. First, it's the Yankees, second, for their age they're really sharp and in focus. That was the reason I picked up a couple!

Last edited by jb217676; 12-24-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Always wondered why snaps get so little love. If someone finds some obscure card tomorrow with Babe Ruth on it, it's immediately big news and people go nuts. Well a snapshot is a one of a kind rarity. I am sure most hard core photo guys turn their noses up at them. Granted, the quality is all over the place and they aren't from a famous photographer. I see both sides of it but think they are worthy of a lot more respect than they often get.

If I had the classic attic find tomorrow of 100 amazing Ruth Gehrig snapshots I doubt it would make a ripple. No article from Forbes. No article in Sports Collector Daily. Seems odd.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:59 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
I think those particular snapshots sold high for a couple of reasons. First, it's the Yankees, second, for their age they're really sharp and in focus. That was the reason I picked up a couple!
I picked up the Joe Sewell. It's not the best snapper but, it's actually the first snapshot of Joe Sewell, I've personally seen. I can see your point, but I think the real appeal to the price is, due to it's actually a set. It's not a random Lefty Gomez, Bill Dickey, etc.. it belong in a very nice set and tells its own story...in which a few people ( IMO ) were trying hard to bid to keep it together. Which is why I think the prices were strong.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 12-24-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Jeff

Quote:
I picked up the Joe Sewell. It's not the best snapper but, it's actually the first snapshot of Joe Sewell, I've personally seen. I can see your point, but I think the real appeal to the price is, due to it's actually a set. It's not a random Lefty Gomez, Bill Dickey, etc.. it belong in a very nice set and told its own story...in which a few people ( IMO ) were trying hard to bid to keep it together. Which is why I think the prices were strong.
I picked up the Gomez, Ruffing & McCarthy from that collection (You beat me on the Sewell!) I was in on some others but got outbid!

Last edited by jb217676; 12-24-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I may have picked up the Gehrig you are referring to.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:30 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Baseball snapshots are the bastards in the baseball hobby.They seem to forgotten and alone in their own category. If you see a photo, and it doesn't have the seal of approval of a Underwood, Conlon, or Bain...people think it's not that valuable.

I'm a huge advocate of snapshots, but in the hobby world they're flawed. Why? It's Achilles heel, it's almost too unique. They're 1/1 and taken by an amateur photographer. Nothing to compare it. So people in the hobby don't know if they are getting a steal or getting ripped off. However, on the plus side...you can command you're own price ( within reason) since there's nothing of exactly the same.

When I see a Conlon photo, I don't get the same goosebumps because, it's professional photo taken by professional photographer. Seeing a candid amateur snapshot is special, it's a glimpse of a craze fan trying to meet their baseball hero.

It's great that snapshots are finally getting attention since they are such a unique piece of history. Fans make the game.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:35 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Seeing a candid amateur snapshot is special, it's a glimpse of a craze fan trying to meet their baseball hero.
Perfectly said!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Baseball snapshots are the bastards in the baseball hobby.They seem to forgotten and alone in their own category. If you see a photo, and it doesn't have the seal of approval of a Underwood, Conlon, or Bain...people think it's not that valuable.

I'm a huge advocate of snapshots, but in the hobby world they're flawed. Why? It's Achilles heel, it's almost too unique. They're 1/1 and taken by an amateur photographer. Nothing to compare it. So people in the hobby don't know if they are getting a steal or getting ripped off. However, on the plus side...you can command you're own price ( within reason) since there's nothing of exactly the same.

When I see a Conlon photo, I don't get the same goosebumps because, it's professional photo taken by professional photographer. Seeing a candid amateur snapshot is special, it's a glimpse of a craze fan trying to meet their baseball hero.

It's great that snapshots are finally getting attention since they are such a unique piece of history. Fans make the game.

"Baseball snapshots are the bastards in the baseball hobby.They seem to forgotten and alone in their own category."

I wonder if the same was said about baseball postcards before they became the valuable collectibles they are today. Maybe it's good to get in on the "ground floor" of an area in collecting that hasn't had much attention paid to it?

Last edited by jb217676; 12-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Dan Bretta

I used to own thousands of them. Wish I still had them. I still do have a couple hundred, but not nearly the collection I used to own.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I used to own thousands of them. Wish I still had them. I still do have a couple hundred, but not nearly the collection I used to own.
Dan,

Any Brooksie?!? I’d be interested 😀
Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Mikeknapp

Thought I would share this site and book.

http://www.fantography.com

https://m.facebook.com/Fantographycom-130417801064/

There is also a book Baseball Fantography: A Celebration in Snapshots and Stories from the Fans
By Fantography LLC, Andy Strasberg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 457229_10150575609976065_1835549522_o.jpg (77.8 KB, 177 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 12-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What I like about snaps is the spontaneous nature of them. A fan was there, the player was there, and usually there was an interaction between the fan and player that led to the photo being taken; the whole record of it is right there on the paper. They are sort of low-tech selfies. Here is a 1948 Durocher; you know there was a fan calling out to Leo to stand still for a photo:

They can also have a lot more personality than posed pro shots. The Cubbies on Catalina Island for spring training, doing a seven dwarves thing through Avalon:

Billy Cox outside Ebbetts Field. How often do you see a ballplayer now just walking into the stadium with the people?

Preacher Roe:

Ernie Harwell:

Joe Louis at a train depot in WWII; the photographer must've asked The Brown Bomber for a photo op:

Young Rocky Marciano at a training camp posing for the fan:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-27-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Damm those are all nice.

Candid moments frozen in time. Not that there is anything wrong with cards or professional photos. . . .but these are sweet.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I thought this one was interesting too:

Doesn't appear to be anyone of note, just a nice early snap of African-American players.

Or not...
Old 12-27-2017, 04:47 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Thought I would share this site and book.

http://www.fantography.com

https://m.facebook.com/Fantographycom-130417801064/

There is also a book Baseball Fantography: A Celebration in Snapshots and Stories from the Fans
By Fantography LLC, Andy Strasberg
Great book! It was one of my first "hobby" books. A must have for a snapshot lover!

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 12-27-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:37 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
How often do you see a ballplayer now just walking into the stadium with the people?
I can only speak for Citi Field, but the height of the fence around the players' parking lot prevents fans from having a real "I got to meet a ballplayer" experience - the Mets' Eric Young, Jr. in this case, but it applies to all players.

(Photo taken September 29, 2013. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I thought this one was interesting too:

Doesn't appear to be anyone of note, just a nice early snap of African-American players.
Interesting scene.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 AM

I picked up a huge collection of snapshot photos a number of months ago. I am slowly learning more about them. Here are a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss3.jpg (65.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ss11.jpg (69.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ss10.jpg (65.0 KB, 44 views)