NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

How many people can (could) search and find your full name the way you have it masked now? I think you would have been safe even back then. The reason the name rule is the way it is, is because there are legit reasons for being anonymous. Otherwise, it wouldn't be allowed and all real names would be mandatory. It would be easier to manage that way, that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Here's one "notion" that may not have occurred to many. First off, I have been a board member since the days of the old software platform. The only reason my join date is 2011 is that I took about 18 months off during the changeover, and so some of my data, post count, etc., did not carry over.

During almost all of this period, my son was being victimized through most of his school years. If it wasn't verbal abuse, it was, for example, tossing his new gym sneakers into a toilet bowl full of feces. These were not rare occurrences - it was incessant. AND, these sort of things carried over to social media. (it was all heartbreaking, to say the least, and still is today). So, I kept my full name off my posts, as it would have been easy pickins for the cretins to look me up and phuck with my son even more.

I am happy to report that this all ended when he entered college. Hence I am a bit overdue in finally using my full name. (Anyway, at least 100 members have known my name through the BST, private deals or just plain community friendship). Hence, I gotta lotta opinions stored up after all this time so all youse (sic) better watch out!

And so, I have to believe there are many anons here that have legit reasons, if not exactly my own, to be so on a baseball card forum
Old 05-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
During almost all of this period, my son was being victimized through most of his school years. If it wasn't verbal abuse, it was, for example, tossing his new gym sneakers into a toilet bowl full of feces. These were not rare occurrences - it was incessant. AND, these sort of things carried over to social media.
It was cleaner when we were kids, w/o cyberbullying and w/o the overprotective overreactions. I feel sorry for the kids today who are bullied; they get lots of well-meaning clucking from the powers that be but they aren't given the leeway to learn to take care of their own situations. I was bullied terribly in Jr. High and the school did nothing, as was the norm, except make me sit down with the worst of the abusers and share my feelings. Which made things so much worse since teenage boys don't really have feelings except angry, hungry and horny. My father lost all patience with the p***y wimps at the school. He told me I had to handle my own troubles and took me to a karate studio. He and the instructor told me to lay low for a while, learn to fight, and then beat the hell out of the first bully who tried me. I applied myself fanatically to the training and the next kid at school who started to get physically abusive with me never knew what hit him. Knocked his ass down and nearly out in the school yard. The bullying stopped dead in its tracks. I then went after another of the bullies from my old school who showed up at a party; when he started up I publicly forced him to choose to leave the party rather than fight me. Again, no repercussions from adults in either situation: we handled our own s**t. Today, I would get suspended for defending myself, which is a shame. IMO that is why some kids just snap when they are bullied and go to extremes like armed mayhem or suicide; they must feel like they have no other means of taking control over their lives, and that must be so enraging. I mean, to tell an abused kid (and bullying is abuse, no doubts there) that if he defends himself against an abuser he will be dealt with as a co-equal offender, that would have made things so much harder for me. I still would have hit that kid, but I'd have paid a price for it that would have been entirely unfair; I had a future that would have been damaged by a suspension but that dimwit is probably offering to put cheese on the burger for the next customer. Don't need college for that...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:11 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
How many people can (could) search and find your full name the way you have it masked now? I think you would have been safe even back then. The reason the name rule is the way it is, is because there are legit reasons for being anonymous. Otherwise, it wouldn't be allowed and all real names would be mandatory. It would be easier to manage that way, that is for sure.
I understand what you are saying, but back then the situation was so intense I couldn't risk it - you would have had to of lived it. As far as the way my name is masked now, I realize the silliness, it's just that I'm still a little gun shy from that whole situation. I know it's hardly Googleproof.