NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2023, 07:23 PM

Default This is Vent Thread - Lets define "Pumper" relating to this section of this website

Can someone please define this term for me and explain how it applies to comments made on the prewar section of Net54?

I understand the term in the context of a guy getting on social media and talking up a card or player to tens of thousands of people so that prices rise and the guy/pumper can acquire and then sell their cards for much more than they paid.

But how does that apply here, where most of what we buy/collect is quite rare and doesn’t sell too often, where prices on these items do not and cannot move at nearly the same speed as more common cards/players, where the viewership on this website is relatively small, and when most of us are not buying cards to sell/flip in the near future?

Perhaps I am taking this personally, but I feel the term (especially as used quite often by one poster in particular) is aimed at anyone who views cards as viable investments, having a true asset value, rather than just cardboard to be collected. Or more properly, its aimed at anyone who openly talks about changes in the "marketplace" and the rising and falling values of cards; god forbid they make an encouraging comment about the future value of a card. Doing that is no different from anyone who sits around with friends and discusses the impact of the economy, or interest rates, or geopolitical issues on the values of their real estate or stock portfolio.

So, because I get annoyed each and every time I see the word "pumper" regularly used in posts on the prewar section of net54, can I get some feedback on how that can apply here and to what type of posts/posters that term is directed?

And BTW -- if I am considered a pumper because I actively invest in cards and I talk about that openly here, then I am proud to be a pumper, although I believe totally mislabeled as one.

Also BTW -- THIS HAS BEEN EDITED - Perhaps I am trying to pick a fight, specifically with G1911, who uses the word pumper more than anyone around here. Nevertheless, I am still genuinely interested to understand the profile of a "pumper" on the prewar section of Net54, because that term gets a lot of run and I think it should be publicly defined so everyone knows whats intended when its used.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-03-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:53 PM
pete ullman

I interpret the use of the term..."pumper" as someone who often touts the virtues of cards they own...as being super rare, desirable, or way undervalued...to try to persuade others of such virtues so as they may want to own such cards...thereby increasing the perceived value of said cards/items.

for example...show your favorite hank aaron card. poster posts spic and span aaron touting how rare it is as compared to the topps and thereby should be much more desirable and valuable.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I don't recall ever seeing a Pumper here or in the postwar section for that matter, maybe Kevin Mize but he still wasn't a classic pumper, more like aggressive sales tatics.

When I think of pumpers I think of guys like Goldin/West in the old days or the new guys on social media, or Michael Rubin selling NFT's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-02-2023, 08:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Can someone please define this term for me and explain how it applies to comments made on the prewar section of Net54?

I understand the term in the context of a guy getting on social media and talking up a card or player to tens of thousands of people so that prices rise and the guy/pumper can acquire and then sell their cards for much more than they paid.

But how does that apply here, where most of what we buy/collect is quite rare and doesn’t sell too often, where prices on these items do not and cannot move at nearly the same speed as more common cards/players, where the viewership on this website is relatively small, and when most of us are not buying cards to sell/flip in the near future?

Perhaps I am taking this personally, but I feel the term (especially as used quite often by one poster in particular) is aimed at anyone who views cards as viable investments, having a true asset value, rather than just cardboard to be collected. Or more properly, its aimed at anyone who openly talks about changes in the "marketplace" and the rising and falling values of cards; god forbid they make an encouraging comment about the future value of a card. Doing that is no different from anyone who sits around with friends and discusses the impact of the economy, or interest rates, or geopolitical issues on the values of their real estate or stock portfolio.

So, because I get annoyed each and every time I see the word "pumper" regularly used in posts on the prewar section of net54, can I get some feedback on how that can apply here and to what type of posts/posters that term is directed?

And BTW -- if I am considered a pumper because I actively invest in cards and I talk about that openly here, then I am proud to be a pumper, although I believe totally mislabeled as one.

Also BTW -- I am not trying to pick a fight, but rather, I am genuinely interested to understand the profile of a "pumper" on the prewar section of Net54, because that term gets a lot of run and I think it should be publicly defined so everyone knows whats intended when its used.
My definition is like you described but it doesn't have to be to a huge audience. I have seen people pump cards on this forum countless times in the 10 years I have been a member. You can pump a card to a small audience and get someone silly enough to highly overpay.

Usually it is fairly easy to do especially if you have a "friend/relative" help pump the card(s). It is WHY cards get hot.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Also BTW -- I am not trying to pick a fight, but rather, I am genuinely interested to understand the profile of a "pumper" on the prewar section of Net54, because that term gets a lot of run and I think it should be publicly defined so everyone knows whats intended when its used.

I'm not 100% sure who the "one poster in particular" is that has drawn ire for using the term, as several of us just, including me, used it or cosigned a post using it in the recent thread. The word means the same as it does and always has in any other environment; I have not seen anyone ever use a special definition for Net54.

A pumper is a person who attempts to pump the market of certain items. Pumping the market is generally done by communicating and promoting actions in a way designed to create an inflated run on certain items or a segment of items that is to the fiscal benefit of the pumper. It usually but not necessarily implies some dishonesty, which is where the problem starts.

The desire to reduce or increase a market is not inherently wrong. Nor is taking reasonable actions to achieve objectives to ones benefit. It enters the area of wrong if those actions, whether to inflate (i.e. good for investors) or reduce (i.e. good for collectors) are done dishonestly or are not reasonably responsible. For example, people holding high end vintage and encouraging other people to sell off their 401K's, take the massive withdrawal fees, and put their retirement savings all into the same cards they want to go up for their own benefit. Or the followup thread where some then encouraged people to also take out loans from the bank if they didn't have cash to buy high end vintage cards, while the market was already skyrocketing beyond what one can reasonably expect to be supportable in the long run. Or the SGC 9.5 Mantle thread where one poster, bragging about the extreme high price they had just paid for a low grade Mantle, got very upset at actual facts being posted publicly, like the large stain not he card and the fact that it is not actually a rookie card. There are three thread examples wherein such behavior occurred.

A non-problematic example of the same root sentiment is often found in modern - where investors in a player or prospect talk up that player and his cards potential gains in a Discord, but do so while acknowledging it is high risk and it may not pan out, but they believe that it will and have bought in themselves and think others should consider also spending some of their side money. It is honest, as long as they actually do believe the card will keep increasing and the player is a genuine prospect, and transparent with disclosure without encouraging people to do grossly irresponsible things like go into debt and sell out their retirement to buy the kinds of cards the person encouraging it has and wants to go up. This is pretty much what happened with Trout, Acuna bat downs, etc. among plenty of others that did not work out.

The reverse would be equally wrong. As a collector not investor, it is in my interest to protect the values of certain cards in the opposite direction - to discourage buying and reduce market prices. If I posted that the cards on my want list are really common and not as rare as they seem at first, or I mixed into my research claims or misleading information or falsified documents to suggest false or misleading things about the cards to discourage others from seeking them, that would be equally wrong.

Last edited by G1911; 11-02-2023 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Edited to quote the OP.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

To me, it's disingenuously touting the attributes of a player or issue in a purportedly neutral fashion, when the undisclosed intent is to pump up the price in order to sell what you own. Similar to a pump and dump stock scheme.

Not the same, as Phil points out, as aggressively marketing a card where everyone knows to take what you're saying with a grain of salt.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-02-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:

Regularly used? "Gets a lot of run"?
What am I missing? I used the search function and found that the term has been used in 10 threads over the past 12+ years, counting this one. I've never given it a second thought. I suppose we can sit here and give interpretations of the term using basic logic and common sense, but I find it to be a non-issue here. It almost seems to me like you're trying to create one.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:19 PM

Goldin/West are probably the pumper prototypes. Then again, I did get one of these tags engraved for personal reasons.
parkerpumper.jpg
brianp(umper)-beme (these engraved tags are fairly uncommon, and if you ever come across one, I suggest snagging it at any price. By the way, I did come across a few awhile back. I am considering possibly selling one down the road some time, but being as rare as it is, it would probably be at an elevated cost. And rightfully so. But I still haven't made up my mind about selling. Please pm if you have any interest).

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-02-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Regularly used? "Gets a lot of run"?
What am I missing? I used the search function and found that the term has been used in 10 threads over the past 12+ years, counting this one. I've never given it a second thought. I suppose we can sit here and give interpretations of the term using basic logic and common sense, but I find it to be a non-issue here. It almost seems to me like you're trying to create one.
Add an “s” to the end of your search query and you will find 25 threads from now to July 2019 (first appearance of the term in this board), with 19 of the threads being from 2022 or newer.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-02-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:50 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Add an “s” to the end of your search query and you will find 25 threads from now to July 2019 (first appearance of the term in this board), with 19 of the threads being from 2022 or newer. But I appreciate the dig.
Well, I guess we have different ideas of what is meant by regularly used and getting a lot of run. Nonetheless, since it seems to concern you, I hope you find your answer and I acknowledge that it must indeed be a real thing to some folk.

EDITED to add : Sorry if I came across as snarky. I just do not recall EVER seeing the term on net54 until you started this thread.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-02-2023 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:44 PM
Tim Odeen

I don't think a pumper needs to be on social media at all. He just needs an audience. Think of snake oil salesmen in the 1800s. Town to town he could attract small crowds and if he got 1 sale out of 5 that would need to be considered successful. They spend 5 days in town before the buyers are depleted, and then they move on. But before they move on, they use FOMO as a tool to sell more on their final. "Buy it now before I leave town."

Net54 is just one stop in a pumpers circuit of stops. It doesn't matter that we trade in rare cards. We are an audience. The best threads I can think of on our site that would enable pumper are HOF RC threads, who is the next HOF to jump in popularity, what are best long term investments. All of those threads create FOMO with every response. Buy Babe Ruth now before he becomes more expensive.

You wonder who the pumpers are. We are our own worst enemy.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-03-2023, 03:56 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It is of course a nonsensical term as applied around here. And it is almost universally applied illegitimately in this hobby outside of these forums as well. Anyone who says anything positive about any card they own is fair game to the pump shamers. There is nothing wrong with speaking enthusiastically about your collection. You bought your cards for a reason. Share them with pride and don't think twice about offering your middle finger to the "pump" shamers and their twelve dollar collections.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:29 AM
Albert Bee

Default word

then there's the ever popular - Pump and Dump
Old 11-03-2023, 07:04 AM
Don

I asked ChatGPT on the proper definition

Old 11-03-2023, 07:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have never thought of this place as a place for pumpers, except on the BST. Just because I like to show my cards, it doesn't mean I am pumping. Who needs to advertise how rare something is when most of us already know?

Old 11-03-2023, 07:57 AM
Jim B.

After my wife's dinner last night, I felt like a plumper.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:15 AM

Don, thank you for that. According to that definition, pumping is anchored in profit motive through deception and manipulation. Pumpers are actively "distorting the market and taking advantage of others' genuine interest in collecting".

Aside from the BST, I do not see that happening here. Never. Sure, people may post and talk up cards they own, likely genuinely believing they are good buys/investments (I have done that many times). But I don't see people purposely making false or deceptive statements in an effort to take advantage of people. In fact, if anything, I think the overwhelming population on this site genuinely wants to help others and participate in constructive dialogue about cards.

Admittedly, this post is directed at G1911, who uses the term 20x more than the collective community combined, insists in every other post that there is an outcry to liquidate 401k's to buy cards, borrow money one cant afford to repay to buy cards, and that he has been assured by many on this site that cards are only going up and up. I am so sick of this garbage.

Here are links to the 401k and the borrowing discussion. They are great reads on many levels.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...rement+account

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...rement+account

Nobody promotes draining a 401k to buy a card, let alone a specific card they have a financial interest in. And nobody promotes borrowing money one does not have to buy a card they cannot afford, and most certainly not to buy a specific card someone has a financial interest in. Instead, there is great discussion about cards as investments, particularly as compared to other asset classes, and when it makes sense to buy cards when you may not have the immediate liquidity/means to do so.

The discussion generally breaks along two different lines -- (1) those, like me, who feel cards are an asset class and an investment and who are willing to take some risk in order to pursue the potential returns cards may provide (like any investment), and (2) those, like G1911, who views cards only as a hobby and does not see the merit of buying cards for investments. I respect the opinion of those in this second group. But that does not render the opinions of those in the first group incorrect, let alone reckless. And it certainly does not render that group "pumpers" who promote draining 401ks, borrowing money to buy things you cant afford, and believers that cards will always and only go up.

I guess, I started this thread to call out G1911, who continues to peddle the myth that this board is full of pumpers, as he defines them. That is simply not true. This board has many people who do feel cards are assets and discusses them as such, but that does not make them pumpers or crusaders of irresponsible spending, specifically on things they own so that they can profit off others. Expressing an opinion, is not pumping. Being bullish on something and stating such is not pumping. Prioritizing a card over stock or other more traditional uses of money is not pumping, even when you admit you have done so.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-03-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You're not a card pumper, Ryan. More of a card fluffer

I kid you, my friend.

Pump without dump is an empty label. I am a proud pumper of cards I like. So what? I publicize what I find to be unstudied and interesting and I encourage others to join the party. I just did an article on NASCAR postcards because I bought a giant collection of them and thought they were really cool and shockingly unstudied. And yeah, there will be NASCAR stuff on my table at the upcoming November 18-19 Pasadena show. This is supposed to be fun and social. Demented and sad, perhaps, but social. What am I supposed to do, hide in my man-cave fondling old cardboard finds? That was the MO of the Bruces, not normal people.

The irony is that in some cases all i do is make it harder for me to collect what I am publicizing, but that's the risk of disseminating information. In other cases i definitely plan to sell off what I publicize, and I have zero problems doing that, as long as I honestly portray my subjects. If someone decides to assign me some cred, thats their choice. I'm just some jackhole with a blog and a penchant for researching and writing about cards; my advice is free and worth every cent you pay for it. I think cards are a great investment/business...if you know what you are doing. if not, if you just chase trends because some twerp with a man-purse and an Adderall habit talks them up on the internet, you are a sheep asking to be sheared. Those folks need to stop worrying about what others are buying (as my mother used to say, who died and appointed you king?) and think critically for themselves. Put in your 10,000 hours and you won't have to worry about pumpers; you'll spot the bullshit from a mile away. and ignore it like dog poo on the street.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-03-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:36 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

How it started:

Quote:
Perhaps I am taking this personally, but I feel the term (especially as used quite often by one poster in particular) is aimed at anyone who views cards as viable investments, having a true asset value, rather than just cardboard to be collected.

Quote:

The actual truth:

Quote:

Admittedly, this post is directed at G1911, who uses the term 20x more than the collective community combined, insists in every other post that there is an outcry to liquidate 401k's to buy cards, borrow money one cant afford to repay to buy cards, and that he has been assured by many on this site that cards are only going up and up. I am so sick of this garbage.
Quote:
I guess, I started this thread to call out G1911, who continues to peddle the myth that this board is full of pumpers, as he defines them. That is simply not true. This board has many people who do feel cards are assets and discusses them as such, but that does not make them pumpers or crusaders of irresponsible spending, specifically on things they own so that they can profit off others.
What a massive contradiction. I'm shocked. I was wondering at what point actual honesty would actually crop up instead of the obviously lying OP lol.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Greg, Ryan, if you make me stop this car and come back there you are both going to be sorry.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-03-2023, 08:54 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
then there's the ever popular - Pump and Dump
Admittedly, I have seen many times over the years where a thread was started on a rare issue on the main page, just out of the blue to showcase a particular issue without any stated intent. Then amazingly, some examples of this issue quickly appear in a large auction or eBay within the next week or two.

I don't mind if the intent is clear, but I cannot remember that being the case much. This is not unlike watching Kramer or many stock investment shows who hype their own holdings for a temporary boost.

In addition, it has been clearly disclosed once or twice but mostly hidden of certain individuals bidding up and buying rare issues they hold if they see them selling low to maintain their value in current VCP sales. Then the same card comes back to market later for the recoup in hopes they get the value they believe it should sell for.

Are any of these illegal within the collectables market? Not that I personally know of, but I think it's a tad questionable personally.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:57 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Greg, Ryan, if you make me stop this car and come back there you are both going to be sorry.
Sorry Adam . Here, have some boxing cards. There was no baseball within reach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1741.jpg (203.6 KB, 425 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:04 AM

I have said it before G1911 -- I do not like you and I think you are a dipshit. That is no secret and I am happy to, again, state that publicly.

That said, I am genuinely interested to see if the rest of this community agrees with your definition of what a pumper is.

Almost anytime someone asks an investment-financial related question, you quip in with your "pumper" BS. For example, 16 posts into the very recent thread called "How did this all Start", a thread that asks a genuine question and contains legitimate discussion, you state:

"A whole lot of collectibles and hobbies saw spikes with many people hiding inside, not working much, and getting paid still. The only surprise is that some people are surprised the pumpers weren't right and the market is falling instead of continuing to just go up forever. None of the pumpers were willing to share the screenshots of them cashing out their 401K's to buy cards like they were advising others to do for some reason. Wonder why."

Nobody on this site ever said this. You try to make every investment/money-based thread about pumpers, draining 401ks, and a market that only goes up. I believe you are wrong and I believe most of this community believes you are wrong.

Later in that same thread, in response to the question of whether people are rooting for prices to fall, you state: "Rooting for it? I'd root for a full collapse. Cards are for fun and a hobby, not a profit center in my portfolio. The cheaper they are the more cards I can have fun collecting. It's not in my interest for prices to go up as a collector. Rising prices = good for investor or collector/investor, falling prices = good for collector." If anything, it seems to me your posts are intended to pump negativity into the asset class so that prices come down, in your interest as a collector. You may be the biggest (anti) pumper here!

If we can get a consensus on the definition of a pumper, we can determine whether we have any on this site, and thus, determine the veracity or inaccuracy of your constant statements and we can call a real pumper a pumper.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-03-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:08 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I am happy to say that I think most Net54 members are not pumpers; however, as Ben N. wrote above, I have also noticed things on here that sure seem to me to look like "pumping." Among them are:

1) Making a "show off" post only to have that item appear for sale in the BST shortly thereafter

2) Consistently posting about how one or more cards one owns are only going to go up in value and that anyone who doesn't grab one at an inflated price is "missing out"
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-03-2023, 09:17 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I have said it before G1911 -- I do not like you and I think you are a dipshit. That is no secret and I am happy to, again, state that publicly.

That said, I am genuinely interested to see if the rest of this community agrees with your definition of what a pumper is.

Almost anytime someone asks an investment-financial related question, you quip in with your "pumper" BS. For example, 16 posts into the very recent thread called "How did this all Start", a thread that asks a genuine question and contains legitimate discussion, you state:

"A whole lot of collectibles and hobbies saw spikes with many people hiding inside, not working much, and getting paid still. The only surprise is that some people are surprised the pumpers weren't right and the market is falling instead of continuing to just go up forever. None of the pumpers were willing to share the screenshots of them cashing out their 401K's to buy cards like they were advising others to do for some reason. Wonder why."

Nobody on this site ever said this. You try to make every investment/money-based thread about pumpers, draining 401ks, and a market that only goes up. I believe you are wrong and I believe most of this community believes you are wrong.

If we can get a consensus on the definition of a pumper, we can determine whether we have any on this site, and thus, determine the veracity or inaccuracy of your constant statements

Ryan Hotchkiss
Took you three tries to summon the courage to say what you are "happy" to state, after first insisting this isn't about what it's obviously about .

Actually, you are the only one of us to have made a thread about pumpers. I have posted occasionally in threads already about them. You can easily see the threads I've made, almost all research type.

The only time I remember us getting into it is when I criticized you sharing your wish of a politician you don't like to be murdered so you could collect the lynch knot in a thread that had been very interesting before your bizarrely violent hijack. You are welcome to think I am a dipshit and try to stir up a community against me. Go ahead.

If you want to actually debate something said, then you quote that post and reply to it in that thread with your argument. If you want to throw childish tantrums, lie about the purpose and keep making new threads to bitch at your enemies, then do that.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:21 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I agree with the snake oil salesman definition. Some Johnny-come-lately (sorry, Johnny) breezes into town with a slick pitch and something of dubious quality to sell for an obscenely high price, then leaves as quickly as he came once his pitch has grown old and the buyers catch on to his schtick.

Ryan - I wouldn't sweat it. Anyone who thinks you are a pumper needs to go home and rethink his life.

At the same time, I find myself often agreeing with Greg when it comes to some of the more ludicrous approaches to aggressively managing finances as a means of buying more cardboard, although I may not be quite so aggressive about saying it. Don't hate me for it!

I suspect that part of the problem may just be the aggressive use of sarcasm and snark. It's my primary medium personally, and Greg uses it liberally. Yet it doesn't always translate well in written form, particularly in an online context. Personally, I'm generally inclined to give Greg the benefit of the doubt and assume noble intentions, while his welcome has probably worn thin with others. I've snapped once or twice myself and typed up a rant on this forum, so it's certainly only natural for all of us to get our dander up over some perceived slight.

I think another part of the problem is that every group, especially those that primarily exist online, develops its own code. And that code leads to a lot of virtue signaling, the need to delineate various degrees of virtue, and labeling those who are insufficiently virtuous so that they can be the objects of appropriate levels of scorn and ridicule by the rest of the group as a means of enforcing that code. The whole investor/collector dynamic comes into play with our group, among other labels. My experience is that whole process at best is quaint, and at worst gets really tiresome in a hurry. Particularly because very few of us have motives that are as pure as the driven snow.

So the bottom line for me is to let it go. It's just not worth getting that excited about.

These aren't the pumpers you're looking for!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 11-03-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:24 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Speaking of things that happen occasionally in "this section of the website" I know of no other member than OP that throws around ad hominem attacks on other members in this section for simply disagreeing with them.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 11-03-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:40 AM
Don

The actual pumpers you see on YouTube with their investment channels and clips of them spending five/six figures at card shows probably do not even know what Net54 is.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:48 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I interpret the use of the term..."pumper" as someone who often touts the virtues of cards they own...as being super rare, desirable, or way undervalued...to try to persuade others of such virtues so as they may want to own such cards...thereby increasing the perceived value of said cards/items.

for example...show your favorite hank aaron card. poster posts spic and span aaron touting how rare it is as compared to the topps and thereby should be much more desirable and valuable.
I concur. If you're talking about what aspects of a card you find aesthetically pleasing or what niche of your collection it fits into or when/how you acquired it, that's just discussing why you like the card. If you're talking about why other people should like it more than they do, that's pumping.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:56 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Nice Adam! Pretty sure I've picked up a couple t206's from you in the past. I'll look for your table at the Pasadena show 👍
Old 11-03-2023, 10:14 AM

Default Pumpers

Ryan- I too have seen the term "pumper" tossed around in various threads.
It got to the point that, for me within net54 anyway, there was the threat of
it becoming like the word "nice" in everyday language- almost meaningless.

My recollections of the term reveal that two sorts of folks use it on very
opposite ends of the spectrum. The first is the guy like 1911, who uses the
term about people who have more cash than him to spend on cards. Plenty
of folks on these boards have more disposable income than I do, but I've
yet to have the inclination to spew my envy by calling them "pumpers". 1911
loves to take it to extremes too, insinuating (if not bluntly stating) that
people with cash are one step away from forfeiting their bank accounts and
their futures because of cards. He gives no one credit for hobby knowledge
or financial prudence, instead lumping them into a category called
"pumpers". You're right, 1911 is a special kind of dolt. If the truth was a
snake he'd get bitten almost every time, and there is no reasoning with him.

The second sort who "pump" are the guys who like to flaunt their investment
"knowledge" by insisting repeatedly that collectors should focus only on
highly specific players. "Buy Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, and Robinson in high
grade". These folks think this comment is some sort of revelation, which it
isn't. They also think other collectors should mindlessly follow their advice
because- drum roll, please- it's their advice! Lots of people on these boards
have great knowledge and it's a pleasure to gain it. "Pumpers" feel like they
need to flaunt the advice and, I suspect, are really just hoping they are
right in the end because that's the path they chose.

Just my observations, nothing more or less.

Trent King

Last edited by ClementeFanOh; 11-03-2023 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typographical error
Old 11-03-2023, 10:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am not even sure what the argument is about at this point. If the question is whether Ryan is "pumping" cards, I would say he is not.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am not even sure what the argument is about at this point. If the question is whether Ryan is "pumping" cards, I would say he is not.
It's just a vent thread to bitch about me that tried not to say it explicitly at first, triggered by a statement in another thread that does not even talk about this guy at all. There's no real argument.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

This is an interesting definition too, but, personally, one I think is too broad. What is the difference between pumping and showing off? Or, what if a card is posted in response to a question like “what is the next big card to take off?”. If someone posts a card they own and state why they think that could be the next card to take off, are they pumping?

Personally, I like Don’s definition and feel a “pumper” is stating their “opinion”, specifically and purposefully (and these two adverbs are key), that is, with the intent to (1) motivate others to buy the card, so (2) the value/price of that card goes up, and so (3) the pumper can sell or dump his card for a profit.

I think there are very few people on this site who intentionally seek to motivate others to buy their cards so they can dump them for more.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:38 AM

I have been shamelessly pumping the sort of lovable vintage dreck for years on here as seen below. Heed my words or miss out on the low condition gravy train.

Brian (a train full of gravy is just asking to skip off the rails and plunge into a potato field)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beaterscollage 001.jpg (200.3 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg e121diecuts.jpg (187.9 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg t206withchunksmissing 001.jpg (195.6 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg playball41nine318.jpg (195.6 KB, 400 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

There is a big difference between talking up your cards and pumping. For example, Ryan (hey Ryan) has some great Wagner portraits. Wagner is hot. Ryan is allowed to talk about his collection.

What I would think is pumping is if Ryan is talking up his Wagner's and how great of a buy this is and then selling right after (or having the intent to sell). Ryan - I am watching auction houses for your Wagners!! lol

Where I think you see that more - as mentioned earlier in this thread - is on youtube, where people are pumping quick flips. Again, that is their business, no judgment at all.

To be honest, I think we all have a sense of what a collectors true intention is. And for most of us who wander aimlessly on here for no reason other than to talk about cardboard, I wouldn't classify 99% of us as pumpers.

Some things that tell me you aren't a pumper: you have a flickr, you are on here more than 5x a day to read content, and you take out your cards at least once a week to look at them.

It is naturally to talk about your cards and why they are great buys. I tell my friends all the time why Ruth and Cobb are great buys. I am not trying to pump them, but I can also see why people think that. I am just talking about cards I like, not hoping that a random friend props up my Cobb postcard prices so I can sell them.

PS - Ty Cobb rookie postcards are hot

PPS - For sale, Ty Cobb rookie postcards. DM me.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-03-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Peter, I am confident I am not pumping cards (at least I don’t intend to). But thank you.

It is a vent thread. In response to many threads discussing values/investments, G1911 constantly accuses pumpers on this site of encouraging people to empty their 401K’s, borrow against assets, etc. Its annoying and beyond old bc (1) it’s often irrelevant to the specific topic/conversation, and (2) it implies we have nefarious board members posting opinions solely for personal gain, which I believe is simply not true. I often opine here on investment matters and cards. Many of us do. Personally, I can’t help feeling like I am called a pumper for doing so. I imagine I am not the only one who feels this way.

Anyway, perhaps I am the asshole or overly sensitive, or both. So be it. I have vented and now I will retire to my corner
Old 11-03-2023, 10:47 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Peter, I am confident I am not pumping cards (at least I don’t intend to). But thank you.

It is a vent thread. In response to many threads discussing values/investments, G1911 constantly accuses pumpers on this site of encouraging people to empty their 401K’s, borrow against assets, etc. Its annoying and beyond old bc (1) it’s often irrelevant to the specific topic/conversation, and (2) it implies we have nefarious board members posting opinions solely for personal gain, which I believe is simply not true. I often opine here on investment matters and cards. Many of us do. Personally, I can’t help feeling like I am called a pumper for doing so. I imagine I am not the only one who feels this way.

Anyway, perhaps I am the asshole or overly sensitive, or both. So be it. I have vented and now I will retire to my corner
Since you solicited opinions on the matter, I'd suggest worrying less about whether or not people think you are pumper and focus on trying to be a nicer human being.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Since you solicited opinions on the matter, I'd suggest worrying less about whether or not people think you are pumper and focus on trying to be a nicer human being.
Thank you for your opinion.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

And I always thought that a pumper was that guy at the water station furiously working a lever to extract a bit of H2O.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

My line of work, a pumper is a fire engine.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Ton.y Be.ll

Not sure I have seen the term pumper on any threads not that I am looking so this is new to me. I don’t care if everyone here collects cards for fun, for investing, a combination of the two or for any other reasons. I assume that most here collect for fun with the hope that their card values rise and if it rises to a point the owner wants to sell then they do so.
If you are a member here buying or selling cards then you should have some general idea of the card value based on grades past sales and the direction the market is going and price you want to pay and proceed accordingly. Most members here have access to all sorts of data VCP, cardtarget, PSA, auction houses past sales to make sure they don’t way overpay. I would tend to think a pumper wouldn’t influence my decision to purchase any card here or elsewhere.

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 11-03-2023, 11:33 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Pumper

I admit to being a pumper...only the price of the card goes up 5 years after I sell it...Jerry
Old 11-03-2023, 11:36 AM
Ben North

I would like to pump the $1 auction section in the BST area. There are some nice items listed this week. Would be great if more people would sell a few of their extra cards there to get more action and better cards listed.

They are real $1 starting bid auctions, can't find them too often anymore.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-03-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:38 AM
Ben North

and here is a card because we are way past the post limit without card pics posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greensborojackson.jpg (39.5 KB, 364 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 12:02 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would like to pump the $1 auction section in the BST area. There are some nice items listed this week. Would be great if more people would sell a few of their extra cards there to get more action and better cards listed.

Hi ben agreed hope your well nice card octavio
Old 11-03-2023, 12:05 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I have been shamelessly pumping the sort of lovable vintage dreck for years on here as seen below. Heed my words or miss out on the low condition gravy train.

Brian (a train full of gravy is just asking to skip off the rails and plunge into a potato field)
That, sir, is a very cool collection. Any self-respecting card collector would be proud of them all. Awesome cards.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-03-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

I double pump Ben's Net54 BST $1 auction pump, and in true pumper fashion, reinforce this with my engraved Pumper tag of approval.

parkerpumper.jpg

Brian (new $1 auction lots coming from me next week)
Old 11-03-2023, 12:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Says the nice human being

ps...I fully admit I am not nice.

btw, I think T205 cobbs are about to take off. Better grab one!

Last edited by Leon; 11-03-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:14 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Says the nice human being

ps...I fully admit I am not nice.

I try to be nice!!! I can't say I succeed all the time.

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 11-03-2023 at 12:16 PM.