NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2023, 07:59 PM

Default The highly anticipated Russell's Rustlers Playing Card thread has arrived!

To fulfil my promise in the October Pick Up thread, I am creating this post on the 1906-10 Russell's Rustlers playing cards. The one I recently picked up (in the recent Brockelman Auction) happened to be the final remaining player photo I needed for a 'complete set', so there was much rejoicing. As I always say, it is always better to dream small and celebrate the fulfillment of that dream, than to dream large and not get a thing done at all.

Over the last 12-15 years I have picked these up at cheapy cheap prices...I think the last one (shown top right on both scans) was my most expensive one, at $12.50 or so. I can't say collecting these cards was anywhere near my top collecting priority...I would just pick up when I spotted a photo pose that I did not have. I didn't even bother to find out how many player photos on the back of the playing cards made up a complete set until this past year, when I discovered the answer with the aid of both this set listing on the Prewar Cards website:

https://prewarcards.com/2016/09/15/1...and-checklist/

and this on the KeyMan Collectibles site:

https://keymancollectibles.com/cards...seballboys.htm

Check them out for a fuller description of this issue.

I do have a question for the Russell's Rustlers experts on here (there has to be a least a couple of dozen folks vying for the coveted Russell's Rustlers Expert Crown). Are all of the players available with both red and blue borders? I swear I am not going after a master set of these, which, come to think of it, would either be 12, or 18 (see below inquiry), or possibly could be considered 648 or 972 cards, if you consider a master set only truly complete if you have 54 of each of the 8 player designs in each of 3 possible colors (a deck of 52 playing cards plus the Joker and substitute card - which happens to have been my latest pickup shown above). Also, are there actually 3 different color borders/overall tint available? The bottom left card on the first scan actually looks more greenish to me, as does, not quite as obvious to me, the upper right card.

I just simply know I want to know, and maybe a reader of this readable thing can help a fellow collecting fellow out.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russell'srustlersplayingcards 001.jpg (196.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg russell'srustlersplayingcardsf 001.jpg (192.8 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-05-2023 at 02:50 PM. Reason: did the math, made the changes
Old 11-04-2023, 09:43 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Cool

That's cool Brian!!...Jerry
Old 11-05-2023, 02:24 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Russell's Rustlers Pocket Schedules

If your thirst for Russell's Rustlers is not fully satisfied by the playing cards, you can move on to pocket schedules:

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1699175723
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1699175727
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910TeamScheduleCatchingPoseGAIFront.jpg (98.6 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 1910TeamScheduleCatchingPoseGAIBack.jpg (129.7 KB, 208 views)
Old 11-05-2023, 06:06 AM

Do those player images come from Ludlow, Massachusetts or Ludlow, Vermont- or is there any way of knowing?
Old 11-05-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Do those player images come from Ludlow, Massachusetts or Ludlow, Vermont- or is there any way of knowing?
Judson, I am glad someone was able to make out the name on their uniforms...perhaps now we just need a New Englander among us to let us know which local Ludlow team the manufacturer hired to pose for the photos.

Brian
Old 11-05-2023, 03:23 PM

Said playing card factory - now upscale condos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3789.jpg (196.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
If your thirst for Russell's Rustlers is not fully satisfied by the playing cards, you can move on to pocket schedules:

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1699175723
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1699175727
Those pocket schedules are even neater than the playing cards, and they are the ones that stretch the issue time line to 1910.

Brian
Old 11-05-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Said playing card factory - now upscale condos
Cool! I can see why they would be upscale condos...that factory produced (in my eyes) some upscale baseball playing cards. Perhaps there is still a storage area that has not been opened in over 100 years near that smokestack that has a stash of these waiting to be discovered.

Brian
Old 11-07-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
That's cool Brian!!...Jerry
Almost missed this...thanks Jerry.

Brian
Old 11-07-2023, 07:15 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I have a small handful of these myself as they just are usually so inexpensive it’s hard to walk away.

I don’t have any schedules though, looks like I’ll be keeping an eye out for one.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I have a small handful of these myself as they just are usually so inexpensive it’s hard to walk away.

I don’t have any schedules though, looks like I’ll be keeping an eye out for one.

It was the same with me...I figured I might as well add them to my collection. It was when I found out I actually had 5 of the 6 poses that it became a just slightly higher priority. If I do get any more it would be ones with the schedules as well.

Brian