NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Default Selling through COMC?

Has anyone sold cards through Check Out My Cards? Opinions?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Rich Klein

I do because I hate doing scanning, shipping, etc. It's easier for me as a one-shot shopping service on both ends. One shipment to COMC is easier than a ton of trips to the PO.

You will sell anything if the price is fair but if you put "Dean's Cards" prices on your cards, they will sit just as those BIN's sit and sit on EBay,.

I should also mention, that like Mark, I am a bit biased because I "consult" for COMC. I receive farily regularly emails from staff members who are really into the hobby, in fact last night I received one asking for help on finding an Will Clark Rangers SGA (Stadium Giveaway) item for his collection. Another one sent me a lead from reading another message board which we used as a COMC Challenge., etc.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-07-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Has anyone sold cards through Check Out My Cards? Opinions?
Jim,

I have been selling on COMC for a couple of years now. It's a great alternative to eBay; especially for $20 and under cards. Are you thinking of selling vintage or modern cards on COMC?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Default Yes!

Well, I'm probably a little biased since I took a job there for two months between Beckett and Heritage, but I have been selling on COMC for four years. I have sold over 13,000 cards through it. It's an awesome site for not having to mess with eBay prepping (scanning, writing, posting). Well worth 25 cents per card. Personally, I don't send anything booking for less than $5 as my bottom end.

On good thing is port sales. You can try for a few months at singles, but if you just have junk you don't want, you can easily get 10-20% in a port sale, selling your entire lot of cards (even able to hold a few back).

I have also used the site to buy a decent amount of my pre-war HOFers. They tend to sell for more than eBay or BST here, but... if you earned the credit by selling cards you didn't want anyway, I don't mind paying a little more in "funny money" credit.

I can't speak highly enough of Tim Getsch (CEO) and his crew - they are great to deal with and I greatly enjoyed my time there.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Thanks for the responses, I guess I should try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Jim,

I have been selling on COMC for a couple of years now. It's a great alternative to eBay; especially for $20 and under cards. Are you thinking of selling vintage or modern cards on COMC?
Vintage, mostly 50's stuff.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Alex

I will have to check out this site. I had never heard of it.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Thanks for the responses, I guess I should try it.

Vintage, mostly 50's stuff.
I sent in a bunch of 1950s & 1960s football and did very well with them. Your 1950s baseball should sell great!

Enough can't be said about the great service COMC provides. They scan both sides of every card, assign each card a grade and upload it to your account. All you have to do is set a sale price and when it sells they pack and ship it. So easy!

Keep in mind, when you cash out, COMC gets 20%. A lot of sellers use their store credit to buy cards for their collections, thus avoiding the cash-out fees. Even if you do cash-out the 20% isn't much more than what eBay charges, especially if you factor in your most valuable asset (time).

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM

As a buyer, I absolutely LOVE the site !!!

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 03-07-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Frank Hay-zer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
As a buyer, I absolutely LOVE the site !!!
Me too! It's a great place to find that seldomly seen card I just can't seem to find on Ebay!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I will have to check out this site. I had never heard of it.
+1 . . . so I looked at what they had from '30's - '50's. As a buyer, I was less than impressed with the offerings. Mostly lower collector grade with ridiculous prices. As a seller, I would think a lot of that product would remain un-sold. Won't be going back!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
+1 . . . so I looked at what they had from '30's - '50's. As a buyer, I was less than impressed with the offerings. Mostly lower collector grade with ridiculous prices. As a seller, I would think a lot of that product would remain un-sold. Won't be going back!
Never sold anything on there. I have bought a ton of cards off there though. As an error collector the great pictures of both sides of the card really help. The prices on there are not solid you can make offers of up to 50% of the asking price.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Love the site

I wish every card wa on COMC instead of ebay. A realistic scan front and back makes it worth paying a smidge more.

But there is a lot of stuff that is WAY overpriced ... but I think that's just the function of not enough volume. When they get bigger, more sellers will be forced to compete and lower their prices.

And the best thing in my opinion ... when I search for vintaged ... I'm not innundated by modern replicas!!!!

So I encourage more and more stuff on there!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Rich Klein

Default There is also

The "collectors" who want you to reduce already low prices. I have a card 1955 Bowman Bob Grim for which I use the 10 percent rule -- that is card books at $20, I ask $2. I ended up having to put that card at $4? Why -- the minute I put the card at $2 I get the $1 bid.

So I raised the card to $4 so I could accept a $2 bid. There is also a 61 Skowron I posted. Priced the tough SP appropriately due to condition and the 1st response was someone offered half the marked amount. Again, raised the price so I could accept the level I wanted to be at, not a giveaway level.

Please also note, that, for sellers who accept Amazon, as I do, there is an automatic 20 percent discount (i will usually take the 20 percent off offers happily) and that can help goose up prices as well. If you know you are taking 20 percent off -- sometimes you prirce accordingly

Rich
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Selling

I have had decent luck selling some lower end inserts. Stuff that isn't worth listing individually on ebay. COMC gives the seller Beckett pricing for each card, with the Lo BV and the Hi BV. Most of my stuff is priced at or below Lo BV, and I normally accept any offer at 1/2 of my asking price.

The big advantage is that I don't have to scan, list, or ship. It costs me 25 cents per card, plus 20% of the selling price, plus my costs to ship to COMC.

So, if I sell a card for $1 the breakdown is:

25 cents listing fee
20 cents cash out fee
4 cents per card to ship to COMC
I make a profit of 51 cents (not counting the cost of the card), which isn't bad because they are doing all of the work for me.

The break even point is about 35 cents per card after expenses (again, not counting the cost of the card).

If you can sell some cards at $5 each, your profit will be about $3.70 per card.

You have to be careful, because it seems that with some cards, there are so many of those particular cards listed that you have to have the cheapest price or they won't sell.

As far as buying, you can get some good deals on modern cards, and some decent deals on 50's through 70's, but if you are looking for pre-war you will be very disappointed. The asking prices are high, even for beat to hell T206's, and even if someone accepts your offer of 50% of the asking price (they probably won't), the price is still too high.

COMC is a great site and I enjoy it very much and it fills a void/niche that ebay can't provide, so I hope COMC continues to grow.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.