NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Default OT: Inspired by current events (just like Law and Order), let's talk shipping.

After reading Joe's thread about how his beautiful Lou Gehrig got mangled by the USPS, I'd like to start a slightly off-topic discussion as somebody that is looking to start selling cards (just once in a while). I searched on Google to see if there was another fairly recent topic about this, but the only one I could find was from 2006. My apologies if I missed something obvious. Perhaps my choice of wording was wrong. But new members could use this as a nice reference. So, let's fill it up with some good information, please.

I've been on Ebay for years, and have always made it a point to immediately pay for whatever I buy. I communicate with sellers whenever I have any questions before making a commitment, because that is how I would hope people would deal with me as a seller. Now that I am looking to do the occasional selling here, I want to get some feedback from everybody as to what they look for when a card they've purchased is sent to them.

I've received cards shipped in just about every way you could imagine, and thus far, I've been fortunate enough to not have any damaged in transit. But the cards we're dealing with here deserve special consideration, not only because of their monetary value, but because of the sentiment that often attaches with these cards. As an honest man, and somebody whose reputation means everything to them, I want to exceed the expectations of those I might be dealing with. Yet at the same time, I don't want to go overboard.

Typically, I'll be selling if I am looking to upgrade a card I have. And since those cards will be valuable, I'm assuming that a priority mail small flat rate box is a must. And the card itself should be further protected with cardboard on both sides, and bubble wrap. A slabbed card will fit nicely, with these extra layers of protection.

What about ungraded cards? Penny sleeves + toploaders + team bag, cardboard, bubble wrap, and the flat rate box? Or are card saver Is more appropriate? What kind of bags then do you use to wrap the card savers? Graded card bags?

Any card I sell will include insurance for the agreed to price of the card. I'm assuming I will typically pay for that. What other options should I be selecting? Signature confirmation seems to be a must. It includes tracking to show when and where the card was delivered, and the signature is further proof establishes proof it was received at the buyer's home. Would I need anything else?

Let me know what you look for when you get a card mailed to you.

Thanks, guys!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Package it well with tracking included. On more expensive items get signature confirmation. Communicate BEFORE Shipping who is responsible for loss or damage. Those are some of the main things, imo....
Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

When I was selling the packaging would depend on the item.

Most cheap cards were -penny sleeve/toploader/two pieces of cardboard then into a bubble envelope. That's the stuff under about $20. No DC at first, then when they started click and ship it was included cheap so it was a good deal. No insurance, I figured if something cheap got lost or wrecked it was easier to just refund and move on.

More expensive stuff I usually went for priority in the small flat rate box. Or the smaller one before the flat rate. Those will fit inside a flat rate envelope if the rate seems too much. Sometimes I'd just pay the extra if the final price was a surprise. Most of the stuff had cost very little. I didn't just do cards. I'd also usually pick up the insurance on those nice surprises.

The plate I sold for 600+ got bubble wrap inside a tiny crate I made for it inside a bigger box with either loads of bubble wrap or packing peanuts and some reinforcements. I paid the insurance, it was only a couple dollars. (I'd paid .25, and yes, I reported the profit. )

The few times I've sent stuff to SGC I used the priority boxes.

I only had one thing briefly go missing between 98 and 2009. A reel of old movie film that hadn't been used. Packed pretty well, but not crazy -it was in a metal can. About a month after sending it I got a questionnaire from the PO since they'd found some stuff and thought It might be from me or to me. A couple weeks later they sent me back half the address label on a shred of bubble wrap. So I emailed the buyer. I was surprised he hadn't let me know it didn't arrive. To my surprise it had arrived. On time! In the can with the other part of the address label taped to it inside one of those "sorry the machine ate this" bags.

Steve B
Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, guys.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Package it well with tracking included. On more expensive items get signature confirmation. Communicate BEFORE Shipping who is responsible for loss or damage. Those are some of the main things, imo....
Deciding who bears the loss is a good idea. I believe the default for most states is that the buyer bears the loss.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A word for recycling. I keep the bubble mailers, cardboard mailers, cut cardboards and even packing peanuts that are delivered to me and I recycle them for my sales, consignments, shipments to TPGs, etc. Not only is it a good way to cut down on the trash I make, it also cuts my shipping costs to basically tape, labels, ink and postage. That way I can charge the buyer the rough postal costs and not lose too much money.

As for packaging, I usually sandwich a raw card in a soft holder between two pieces of corrugated cardboard then either put that into a bubble mailer or tape it shut all around and use the cardboard as the mailer. I usually put graded cards into a small bubble mailer then inside a second mailer, usually the cardboard type used to mail photos. Sometimes into a 2nd bubble mailer instead. If I am sending more than 2 graded cards I put the cards into individual bubble mailers then use a flat rate small box. Only one problem ever and that was when the mail truck ran over the package! Really...the customer returned it and the mailer had tire tracks across it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-06-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Alex

I have been very impressed with the way board members have shipped me items from the BST. I don't see something like this happening here.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Also to note-- I use Priorty Flat rate Boxes...they do come with Delivery Confirmation and $50 insurance. So its a no brainer there for lesser items and cost like 5-6 bucks.
On the more expensive item, i always try to get signature confirmation and insurace to cover it. Thats why i often charge 15-20 bucks for shipping on some items, or reflect it in the price and ship for free.
I too, also reuse the foam peanuts and bubble wraps..Heck i see folks use newspapers and grocery bags. I do mention this--about the clear packing tape, more & more folks are trying to use the blue painters tape.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Dave

I keep seeing everybody mention Small Flat Rate boxes.

Don't be afraid to use the Priority 1092 boxes for more expensive items. They are much larger and sturdier then the small flat rates, but are light enough, you can probably keep them under the 1lb 1ounce price bump limit on lighter items. (raw cards, or a couple graded cards). Because of the size, they are also much harder for the USPS to lose or misplace also.

Also, if you are shipping to someone in your general region, you can probably get up to 3-4 lbs. or so, without much of a price bump.

If you do ship anything heavier or bigger, look into Regional Flat Rate Boxes A, B, C...."A" is the smallest, but still waaaaay larger then a small flat rate box.

Depending on where it's going, you can end up saving several bucks over the weighed Priority package, or the regular Flat Rate Price.