NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: whycough

There seems to be a mushrooming of fraudulent auctions on eBay lately with stolen scans and descriptions from past auctions. We had the saga of the '38 Goudey Joe D, the mystery of Jeannie and Shoeless Joe, and within the last few days a PSA 9 '39 Ted Williams rookie with stolen description and image went for $3,400. I go to eBay this morning and a '34 Goudey Charlie Gehringer PSA 9 with stolen image and description is being placed in auction by wahmnetworking with a 3 feedback rating. 'Tis the season for this sort of thing, apparently.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: joe brennan

This practice never goes out of season. Just depends which fruit or rube is ripe for the picking.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: barrysloate

It is a disturbing trend and the question is how can a consumer be protected by this? The crooks are making the mistake of listing very high profile cards that so far have been traceable, but what if they start posting images of slightly more common material that is less recognizable? I'm sitting here trying to think of a way ebay could better protect people against this but I haven't come up with an answer.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: whycough

As a follow up to my original post. I used to turn in these people when I saw them, but eBay was not interested in making it easier than the molasses wading process they have in place. I look at all the auctions (like Mastro, Mile High, Superior) and usually can spot most of the high-end card scams on eBay: eBay should make it easier to work with their "safe harbor" to make it more difficult for the shysters. One more alarming trend: I'm beginning to suspect that the eBay accounts of reputable merchants are being pirated by some crooks (like in the Invasion of the Body Snatchers). Wonder if eBay looks at this site?

Old 01-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: Joe P.

Does the Ostrich want to see everything?

Old 01-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've written authenticy guides to baseball cards, photographs and fine art prints. In each of them I say that the collector should gather a list a good sellers and that it's best to purchase an expensive item from someone you trust, either because you've personally dealt with the seller before or because he otherwise has a good reputation.

From my point of view, when someone bids $10,000 on a fake T206 Wagner on eBay, the issue isn't just about the authenticity but why someone would send a $10,000 check to a total stranger. At the least, the buyer is ignorant about the seller's grading standards.

For beginning collectors of anything, it's important they gather a list of good sellers and buying expensive items from them. This list is gathered by asking fellow collectors who they like and by buying inexpensive items from strangers and seeing how the sale works out. If the new seller is honest, reliable in shipping and you get what bid, you can put him or her on the list. I have my own list of knowledgeable and reliable sellers and, as a buyer, I start by seeing what they have for sale.

In my guide to prints, there is a long checklist for the collector to go through when judging the authenticity of a $7,000 Marc Chagall or Renoir. Do you know what the last thing is in the list? 'What is your seller's return policy and reliability? Judging authenticity isn't so life and death when you know you can return the print for refund if it turns out to be fake.'

Old 01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: jay behrens

I watched a documentry on MSNBC a few nights ago about eBay. What a puff piece. They mentioned some of the problems they have, but they spent about 5 seconds on them. I got a good chuckle when they talked to the head of Safe Harbor. Even funnier was when the only problem they pointed out with PayPal was buyer that shafted because of his own stupidity. Nothing was mentioned about the real problem of buyers abusing PayPal's policy.

One thing I did find interesting is that is against eBay policy to sell a repint/reproduction without it being mentioned in the title. They said it doesn't matter if it is in the description, it has to be in the title too. As they were talkign about this, they should an auction being shutdown for this exact reason.

During this same segment, they showed how they people that look for bad auctions have broad powers to shutdown anything they want to for any reason. Not that they will shut many down, because it will cost them money, but it explains why some auctions appear to be randomly shut down.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: Joe P.

An Ostrich doesn't always want to see everything.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I spent a couple of years trying to find out who is in charge of "customer service" for ebay. After "talking" via email with various one-named employees, I was told there is no one with that job title at ebay. If I had a complaint I should contact Meg Whitman - the ebay CEO. Buyer/seller feedback is well and good, but shouldn't a customer be able to complain about ebay itself? According to ebay, no. Ebay is so big and so wealthy, but is unwilling to devote serious resources to actually fighting frauds and scams.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: daviddbreadman

I sent an inquiry to a seller of a 1957 Topps PSA 9 Sandy Koufax... beautiful scan. The seller responded and said the auction listing was fraudulant. A few days later, I received the following email from someone... its a total fraud situation and this website has been listed here before...

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax #302 MINT 9.

The winner have problems with his wife and told me that he is unable to close the deal. The check is still available.

If you are still interested please email me your affordable price offer.

The item is located in Rome, Italy in my store.

You if you are interested in my other sports cards and collectibles please visit my website: www.Top-Sports-Cards.com

As shipping carrier i will use Pegasus Cargo Carrier so you will receive your item in 5 working days at most. The delivery will be
door-to-door so you just have to be home to sign for delivery.

To protect my business I have adopted the following polices:

- I will ship the package first and I will email you the tracking number.
- When you will see the package is moving, I want you to send me the payment confirmation in the same day or the day after.
- You have 7 days inspection period and if you feel that is something wrong with the item, you can return it and you'll receive a
full refound plus shipping costs.
- As a payment method I have chosen Western Union's services because they always served our interests in a professional manner and
helped me gain buyers. I consider promptitude a vital condition on the modern eCommerce markets and a guarantee of quality.

Nobody forces you to accept it. If you don't agree, I believe it would be better that none of us lose his time for nothing.

If the terms and conditions above are suitable for you and you decide to purchase please email me back with your full name and
address to prepare the package and I will send you the payment details. In the same day you confirm your shipping information I will make the S&H arrangements and schedule a pickup with Pegasus Cargo
Carrier.

I look forward to a favorable reply and just as soon as I receive it, I will send you my payment address.

Kindest regards,

Marco Zarlengo
www.Top-Sports-Cards.com
sales@top-sports-cards.com

Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: Anson

"Money is a great thing, so please pardon us if we take some time trying to get you to spend it on our stuff."

Hmmm, sounds like Mr. Mint has gone international

edited to add - Did anyone notice that the testimonials on his site show folks RECEIVING their cards before sending payment. So, he wants proof of payment being sent when he sends proof of the cards being shipped is presented. Something doesn't add up there.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Default More eBay fraud

Posted By: leon

About Pegasus Carriers blah blah blah has been going on for years now. I think it fooled a few people at first...Buyers would get a tracking number from a bogus company, send money, and viola, no cards, no card company, and NO SHIPPING company. All one big, nice, tidy scam.....breast regards (old joke, can I say that anymore with mixed company?)