NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1887 N172 Comiskey vs 1973 Topps

Both of these sold very recently, on ebay, for the same prices. It just doesn't seem fair but it is what it is. Old and neat cards don't get their just dues many times..Someone wrote a tiny 25 on the back which is the reason for Comiskey being a PSA 2 MK...(the Schmidt is a great card too but still...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps1973.jpg (58.4 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg n172.jpg (34.0 KB, 455 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I always loved Comiskey's black eye on the card.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 AM
David Kathman

That Commy went for a very reasonable price, but unfortunately more than I could afford to pay right now.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I have nothing against Topps cards. However, I've never been a believer that financial value = non-financial worth.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I always loved Comiskey's black eye on the card.
LOL Jay I had never noticed that before - I bet a lot of guys that played for Comiskey would have liked to have given him another one...

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 09-08-2017, 01:35 PM

I am not a fan of buying cards of a guy who almost ruined the game because he was so cheap he was cheating his players. In general, I try to spend my money on prewar cards over 1948-1975 cards. I feel that they are better values.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I am not a fan of buying cards of a guy who almost ruined the game because he was so cheap he was cheating his players. In general, I try to spend my money on prewar cards over 1948-1975 cards. I feel that they are better values.
LOL I just showed the first post of this thread to my daughter then went on a 20 minute rant about how I would like to see Comiskey removed from the HOF and replaced with Buck Weaver.

I do, however, agree with the premise of this thread. Lots of prewar stuff is a BARGAIN relative to postwar.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 PM
David Kathman

Oh, come on, you guys. The stories about Comiskey being a skinflint owner who underpaid his players range from objectively false to highly misleading. They originated with Nelson Algren and James T. Farrell, who wrote accounts of the Black Sox scandal that were distorted by their leftist political views, and were uncritically passed on to a broader audience by Eliot Asinof in Eight Men Out, which was basically a historical novel. People who have researched Comiskey through documentary evidence and contemporary sources (including salary data that was unavailable to Asinof, who didn't cite sources in any case) have found a picture that's almost diametrically opposed to the caricature depicted by Asinof. Comiskey was generally well-liked within the game, even beloved by many. The stories that Asinof told about Comiskey's cheapness and deception are all provably false, with one very arguable exception. See the following link, and Tim Hornbaker's 2014 biography of Comiskey, "Turning the Black Sox White".

http://scoopyballpark.blogspot.com/2...t-v-commy.html
Old 09-08-2017, 02:59 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Oh, come on, you guys. The stories about Comiskey being a skinflint owner who underpaid his players range from objectively false to highly misleading. They originated with Nelson Algren and James T. Farrell, who wrote accounts of the Black Sox scandal that were distorted by their leftist political views, and were uncritically passed on to a broader audience by Eliot Asinof in Eight Men Out, which was basically a historical novel. People who have researched Comiskey through documentary evidence and contemporary sources (including salary data that was unavailable to Asinof, who didn't cite sources in any case) have found a picture that's almost diametrically opposed to the caricature depicted by Asinof. Comiskey was generally well-liked within the game, even beloved by many. The stories that Asinof told about Comiskey's cheapness and deception are all provably false, with one very arguable exception. See the following link, and Tim Hornbaker's 2014 biography of Comiskey, "Turning the Black Sox White".

http://scoopyballpark.blogspot.com/2...t-v-commy.html
He still shafted his players to insulate himself from the scandal (and Ban Johnson). Having his attorneys extract confessions from Jackson and Cicotte, all under the guise of looking out for the players' best interests is a scumbag move.

As if that weren't enough, Joe's missing 1920 "confession" miraculously surfaced just in time to be used against Jackson in court when Joe was suing Comiskey for backpay in 1924.

You can't polish a turd.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 09-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Man, if I only collected "good character" types, I'd probably only have a bunch of Matty's (which wouldn't be a bad thing, I guess.)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Both of these sold very recently, on ebay, for the same prices. It just doesn't seem fair but it is what it is. Old and neat cards don't get their just dues many times..Someone wrote a tiny 25 on the back which is the reason for Comiskey being a PSA 2 MK...(the Schmidt is a great card too but still...)

...a pretty girl walked right past me at breakfast this morning...didn't even notice me.

Call me 'Vintage'.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
..Someone wrote a tiny 25 on the back which is the reason for Comiskey being a PSA 2 MK...
Can't see the back, but it looks as if someone also wrote a tiny 14 on the front ...

Don't get me wrong, I'd still take the Comiskey over the Schmidt any day. I'm not really a big "rookie" collector, especially the multi-player cards like this one, but I can see why someone would pay a premium for a card in nice condition like this example.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The person who wrote the "14" on the card's obverse worked for Goodwin & Co. This card is part of the short number series, all of which should have a number not starting with "0" in the UR. Occasionally, the number wore off or was inadvertently left off the glass plate negative, but it should be on this card--it is in the photo. I can recommend a good book on the topic. 😀
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Why do you guys keep calling that a "Schmidt?" That card is a "Cey." Go Dodgers!

edited to add, this is not my penguin.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com

Last edited by edjs; 09-08-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Why do you guys keep calling that a "Schmidt?" That card is a "Cey." Go Dodgers!

edited to add, this is not my penguin.
That is because it is Schmidt's rookie card. Cey's rookie card was 1972 Topps.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:28 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

No, it is a "Hilton"

It is not even Cey's rookie card!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 09-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:20 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Did I say this was Cey's rookie? Because if I said it was Cey's rookie, you should say don't say that about Cey, but I don't see where I said Cey's rookie. If I could see where you saw me say Cey's rookie, I could see what you say about Cey. But I don't see what you saw, so what can I say, it's Cey!

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Man, if I only collected "good character" types, I'd probably only have a bunch of Matty's (which wouldn't be a bad thing, I guess.)
Along with two bunches of WaJos!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Can't see the back, but it looks as if someone also wrote a tiny 14 on the front ...

Don't get me wrong, I'd still take the Comiskey over the Schmidt any day. I'm not really a big "rookie" collector, especially the multi-player cards like this one, but I can see why someone would pay a premium for a card in nice condition like this example.
I totally agree. I buy prewar almost exclusively and I find the 73's to be one of the more hideous sets Topps has ever put out, but your talking about a high grade sp rookie of perhaps the greatest 3rd baseman of all time. Not really surprised it went for what it did.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:15 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Did I say this was Cey's rookie? Because if I said it was Cey's rookie, you should say don't say that about Cey, but I don't see where I said Cey's rookie. If I could see where you saw me say Cey's rookie, I could see what you say about Cey. But I don't see what you saw, so what can I say, it's Cey!
Ron Cey's Rookie Card is in 1972 on a 3 player card. IIRC at this early hour, the card number is 761.

So Cey Hey! And let's go back to Mr. Schmidt
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

A very historical card where we see the origin of mistakenly using an apostrophe on a word simply meant to be plural. Card collectors, some 130 years later, continue to discuss their Goudey's and their Matty's in the spirit of this very card.

n172.jpg
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Banned

Thousands upon thousands of people have watched Mike Schmidt play. Not a person alive has seen Comiskey. So in that sense I can understand it.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Thousands upon thousands of people have watched Mike Schmidt play. Not a person alive has seen Comiskey. So in that sense I can understand it.
Which opens up a whole new can of worms in regards to the market floor for vintage. Eventually, it's just gonna be millennials (I want to apologize in advance for my generation) collecting, and not a person alive will have seen Mantle, Mays, etc., play.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame