NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Default Red Cross Type 1s, going up?

In the last few weeks, two different Type 1 Red Cross cards sold, a PSA 4 Tinker at PWCC and a SGC 50 Crawford from Goodwin. The Tinker sold for $5111, the Crawford for $3259. Is this normal for Red Cross cards, are they on the rise, or is this a set collector going for the highest graded? I am curious what your thoughts are.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Well, I was the under-bidder on the Tinker was very confident that $5k+ was sufficient to get it done; obviously, it was not. The Crawford went strong as well. I guess Red Cross (esp type 1) are getting caught up in the rare-back mania, and are being treated more like the Red Hindu and BL rare, than the Brown Hindu and AB/Cycle/EPDG/Tolstoi
Old 09-21-2017, 12:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Well, I was the under-bidder on the Tinker was very confident that $5k+ was sufficient to get it done; obviously, it was not. The Crawford went strong as well. I guess Red Cross (esp type 1) are getting caught up in the rare-back mania, and are being treated more like the Red Hindu and BL rare, than the Brown Hindu and AB/Cycle/EPDG/Tolstoi
As they should be...imo!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Agreed.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM
pete ullman

atleast the "types" with brown print...like t206.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Sean Costello

I lost out on the Crawford, which I thought was a fair price. The Tinker shocked me. I don't know if the Type-2s are up as well. To me they're the same, but I know some of us prefer the brown-captioned Type-1s because they're identical to T206s.

I blame Ted for this price increase on the Type-1s.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Bry@n

Those are also really nice grades for T215s, HOFers, and from popular teams - there are lots of reasons why these two might do well. I think we need to wait for fall auctions to really see what might or might not be happening. After following these somewhat closely, T215s seem to fluctuate quite a bit but don't trend up or down for too long before reversing course. With all that said, I might be full of crap too
Old 09-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Steve

If anything, I think these two prices point to how illiquid and volatile prices are in these sets (and others like them).

The Tinker last sold for $4183 in Heritage 2014, and that was a high price at the time relative to other sales within the set. With the eBay Tinker sale, two bidders put in what look like nuclear bids just above 5k -- the seller got lucky. Out of 17 bidders, the second underbidder only bid $2444... So where does the next PSA 4 Tinker sell tomorrow, if one existed? Probably $2500 at most.

On the Crawford, a nice example sold for $1375 back in March. Slightly lower technical grade, but almost as nice from a visual perspective.

REA had several very nice, high grade T215s in their last two auctions that barely cleared 1000 for non-HOF...SGC 60s range.

These two sales (Tinker/Crawford) look like outliers to me.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-22-2017, 12:20 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Interesting observations, guys. Thanks for your input. I guess Jobu is right, we will see what happens in REA (if there are any in the auction).

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-22-2017, 06:07 PM
pete ullman

I think there will be highs and lows in future t215 sales...people going for runs and sets will drive up prices for specific cards...Hofers will bring strong prices...but I think occasionally some may go a bit cheaper...like many other issues.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Dave Wilson

Does anyone know if there's any differences in population between type 1 and 2s?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Steve

There are certainly differences for individual players, but for the two types overall, they are roughly equal in population.

At various points in time, one was tougher than the other -- Type 2 carried a 20% premium in Erbe's 1982 guide. Today though, I wouldn't think that people would put a premium on one or the other. As previously mentioned, the Type 1 cards look more like a T206 with the brown name/team captions, so they have that going for them.

Cheers,
Steve