NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Just found this thread (normally only read the non-sports side), but since I was mentioned a couple of times, thought I would offer some information.

Marhoefer has been mentioned many times in this thread. Here is my known checklist:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Mar..._checklist.htm

Here is another link to my website listing a few automobile and racing sets:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Automobilecards.htm

This list NEEDS a significant amount of updating, but as one grows older, one realizes that time is one's most valuable asset!

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 09-19-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Just found this thread (normally only read the non-sports side), but since I was mentioned a couple of times, thought I would offer some information.

Marhoefer has been mentioned many times in this thread. Here is my known checklist:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Mar..._checklist.htm

Here is another link to my website listing a few automobile and racing sets:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Automobilecards.htm

This list NEEDS a significant amount of updating, but as one grows older, one realizes that time is one's most valuable asset!

Jon.
Great to have you join the thread, Jon. So much of what I know about various racing sets is because of your posts over on the non-sports board and your website.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-19-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Glad you were able to use my efforts.

Unfortunately, automobile/motorcycle racing is the red-headed step-child of the card collecting hobby.

The sports collectors shun us, as evidenced by the sections available on this forum (even cricket, but no racing)

And it doesn't really fit into non-sports, but the non-sports folks seem to tolerate us as it semi-fits due to automobile or motorcycle cards which are non-sports.

The amount of activity on this thread definitely shows an interest in the topic.

Maybe, in a perverse sense, it is a good thing for we collectors that there is no more interest. Can you imagine the cost of some of the cards if suddenly the baseball folks all started collecting racing??? Some of the auto racing cards are just plain RARE Some make the T-206 Wagner seem like a "common"! Have collected these things for 53 years. Have virtually all the USA printed prior to 1996 (seemed like a good time to just specialize on certain sets/drivers, and stay away from the artificially low production "collector" items). But still missing one of the Say No to Drugs set.

I also collect stamps, and a deceased friend who was a major stamp dealer had the best (opinion) quote about the scarcity of some of this stuff. His comment: "Jon, not only do you have to wait for someone to die to acquire some of these stamps; you need to waiting in the driveway with cash to negotiate with the heirs!".

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 09-20-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Glad you were able to use my efforts.

Unfortunately, automobile/motorcycle racing is the red-headed step-child of the card collecting hobby.

The sports collectors shun us, as evidenced by the sections available on this forum (even cricket, but no racing)

And it doesn't really fit into non-sports, but the non-sports folks seem to tolerate us as it semi-fits due to automobile or motorcycle cards which are non-sports.

The amount of activity on this thread definitely shows an interest in the topic.

Maybe, in a perverse sense, it is a good thing for we collectors that there is no more interest. Can you imagine the cost of some of the cards if suddenly the baseball folks all started collecting racing??? Some of the auto racing cards are just plain RARE Some make the T-206 Wagner seem like a "common"! Have collected these things for 53 years. Have virtually all the USA printed prior to 1996 (seemed like a good time to just specialize on certain sets/drivers, and stay away from the artificially low production "collector" items). But still missing one of the Say No to Drugs set.

I also collect stamps, and a deceased friend who was a major stamp dealer had the best (opinion) quote about the scarcity of some of this stuff. His comment: "Jon, not only do you have to wait for someone to die to acquire some of these stamps; you need to waiting in the driveway with cash to negotiate with the heirs!".

Jon.
Good post Jon. I have written often on here that one of the reasons I like collecting racing that there are only a few cards that individually sell for over $500; there aren't any $10,000+ cards. I love the obscure and the impossible to find, even if a card is only worth $100-200.

On the whole, I love non-sports cards or cards outside the big four sports. There is nothing at all wrong with collecting T206 or '33 Goudey, but how many times can a person see the same Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth card listed for sale or at auction?

I know baseball will always be king when it comes to cards, but I could never compete price-wise when it comes to acquiring extreme rarities. With racing cards, I can.

I actually see parallels between racing cards and wrestling cards. This board has some of that niche's top collectors posting on here, and even some extreme rarities of huge stars can be had at prices within reach of collectors. That genre of the hobby really seems to have taken off in recent years, as people are starting to appreciate what is rare and what isn't. Same thing for racing. Unless you actually follow the '72 STP set, who would know that the Lorenzen with car card is a virtual impossibility to find.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-20-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I don't remember if I posted this publicly or just in a PM with a couple board members. But when I won the auction for my Lorenzen with car card, I met the seller in person, since he only lived 30 miles from me. He also offered me a Lorenzen portrait card. I had lost the auction for the portrait card he was selling, but he said he had another one.

When I met the seller, he told me that he had won an automobile lot at an estate auction that included one Lorenzen with car card and 12 of the Lorenzen portrait cards. I agreed to pay $450 for the portrait card, and my heart kind of sank when he told me how many of them he had found. The seller did not have any idea what the cards were and initially thought they were worthless garbage after being unable to find any information online.

The Lorenzen portrait card used to be very tough to find as well, but with the addition of 12 new copies into the hobby all at once, anyone willing to pay the buy it now price for that card on eBay can have one. I know the same thing happens a couple times a year with 100-year old baseball cards, but it is always amazing when such a "find" of rare cards occurs.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Default STP set

I have posted in other areas, but still in wonder as to why there is no Paula Murphy card in the STP set.

Rather than post all of the "evidence" why there should be, I will allow those who might have an interest to discover this on their own.

Jon.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Kin K.

Jon,

I echo Eddie's sentiment and am also thrilled to have you as part of the thread. I have seen your posts on the non-sports forum and have read many of them repeatedly. I've also visited your site a couple of times.

I'm (very slowly) working on the T36 and know that you have completed it. I'm excited to learn anything from you about the set that I can, over time.

For those interested, I have picked up another T36 since my last post. For anyone interested, click here!

Have a great weekend, everyone!
-kin
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry