NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default Rare Cards of Sudanese Players

Posted By: David McDonald

We got sucked in by a goy troll.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

A GOY troll?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I think that it is great that Alan and other collectors focus on players of Jewish ancestory. I have a few extra cards of Ed Abbaticchio for the same reason as he was one of the first Italians to play pro baseball (he also played on the first pro football team in Latrobe, PA).

As for the original post...it exhibits the same level of cowardice as racial slurs scribbled on the walls of a public sh%&@er.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

What about rare cards of Mormon players?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

Sorry it's Boxing, but .....

Leach Cross (aka Dr. Louis C. Wallach, DDS, "The Fighting Dentist").
As the back bio states: "New York Hebrew who met all the good lightweights of the world and seldom took the short end."

Old 06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm part Norwegian. There aren't many Norwegian baseball players, but there are better cards of Norwegians Knute Rockne and skater Sonja Henie (below).

Few Norwegians are blonde (Swedes and to a less extent Danes are blonde), but Sonja looks about as Nordic as one can look in the photo.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm really upset that no one has taken up the cause of one-eyed, left handed, albino, midget Eskimos.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

Uh, that's Inuit.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I tend to think the original post probably was intended to be a light-hearted parody and was not anti-Semitic. That said, I can understand why people might question whether it was more than that, and the original author should explain himself. What disturbs me more than the original post are the posters who are mocking those who have dared to question the possibility that the remark was anti-Semitic (the "Jewish community," as if it were some monolithic entity). You bet your anatomy some Jewish people are hyper-vigilant, and if anyone thinks anti-Semitism is just some ancient phenomenon, think again. I have no doubt I will be ridiculed for this post and I really don't care. This is reminiscent of the thread where someone referred to Dmitri Young as "boy"; the poster did not mean it in a rascist way but when I pointed out that it could be misinterpreted because of its connotations, I got body slammed by all the cool people who thought I was overreacting. So all you hip, cool, what-me-worry, above the fray folks, be my guest. (Edited for typos)

Old 06-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I have got to agree with you there, David. That is one heckofa picture!

Edited to add:

Certainly it is true that some non-Jews (and some Jews) do not like Jewish people. So what?

Wait, I know. Lets try whining about it and calling them names like anti-Semite. Yes, that worked when we were 5 years old. Get a grip. Not everyone likes fat people, thin people, Catholics, popular people, wealthy people, poor people. Swedish, alchemists, worshipers of the sun, hockey players, etc.

Further edited to add:

I betcha that there are even some people who don't like Gil. Although I really can't imagine that.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Gil,

Im sorry but "so what" attitudes like the one you just expressed are exactly the reason why racism and prejudice continue in this country and elsewhere. Its also the reason why posts like this one keep going and going and going.

"Hey, the Muslims hate the Jews, 'so what' if a few thousand people get blown to bits every year." "Hey, Pakistan hates India, 'so what' if they nuke each other to oblivian, doesnt affect me."

Its simply not alright to hate someone because of their religion, their race, their ancestry, or any other characteristic.

Peter - nicely stated.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

It's also not alright to walk around with a chip on your shoulder. I'm a member of a group that has a history of persecution (against that is)but I'm not so hyper-sensitive that I think that every joking comment is antagonistic toward me. Throwing around terms like "anti-semite" is a catch all that must be used responsibly. Otherwise, it belittles true cases of racial and religious bigotry.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Inuit is a tribe, just like Lakota is tribe. Eskimo does a pretty good job of covering any native north of the artic circle just like Native American covers anyone that is of indiginous decent of NA, which also covers the Eskimos.

This thread really needs to be locked down.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I fully disagree with your statement Josh.

It is alright to hate someone because of their religion, their race, their ancestry, or any other characteristic.

Feelings, preferences, likes and dislikes, even when extreme are ok. Actions and in some cases inaction are potentially wrong. For anyone who thinks the laws of this country should be even more restrictive, I wish you well, but I do not agree.

If you are speaking of morals or simple good judgement, I will agree that most hatred is an error. It is counterproductive, and otherwise disadvantageous from virtually all respects.

However, this forum has seen enough on this subject, in my estimation. And after viewing a rebuttal of these statements, if deemed warranted, I will not participate in further posts in this thread.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Hey, "so what" if Osama Bin Laden and his buddies hate America. Gil, in case you did not realize it, 6 million Jews were murdered in our (or that of our parents or grandparents at a minimum) lifetimes for nothing other than being Jewish. And if you pick up a history book, you will realize that is not an isolated incident.

It is hard to believe that in 2006 people who presumably do not consider themselves anti-semitic or racist are arguing on the other side of this one. It just amplifies the point that these sorts of things still need to be brought out and to our attention.
JimB

Peter,
I agree with you completely.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I agree completely with Gil. I also believe this thread has run its course.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

In what possible sense is it "OK" to hate someone because of their religion, ethnicity, or skin color? None is suggesting that anyone's private thoughts can or should be regulated, but to suggest that it's "OK" is to me morally repugnant.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

wow, this thread really is telling.

James - If you were referring to me, I am anything but hyper-sensitive and do not walk around with a chip on my shoulder - I made no judgments about this thread originally other than to say how it could be interpreted and inviting Mark to respond. He has not which leads me to believe that his post was not innocent or well-intentioned.

Gil/Todd - You are free to hold any opinion you wish - whether similar to my own or not. However, Im just speechless over the lack of thought/reason that seems to have gone into those opinions.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

josh, i agree with you 100%.

gil, are you kidding???

"It is alright to hate someone because of their religion, their race, their ancestry, or any other characteristic."

i hope you don't teach that to your kids or anyone else's.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

A Randy Newman song from the eary 80's comes to mind here. Newman wasn't dissing short people anymore than "All in the Family" promoted racism. It was was exposing the prejudices that people have and allowing us, through laugher, to look at ourselves and how we judge people. That is what the song (and I believe the initial thread here) is about and nothing more. Have all you folks forgotten about laughing at ourselves and our prejudices?
Perspective people, perspective. Life is short; eat your dessert first!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Not sure what the score is but I don't feel this thread is detrimental to the welfare of the board, yet. When I feel it becomes that way then it will be locked down. For a reference these kinds of threads get to run about 2.5 to 3 days, historically....but I reserve the right to change my mind . I do think the original post/comment was more of a joke than some wild fetched scheme or majorly racist remark...I do think it was a back handed swipe at the collecting habits of a few on the board but still not as offensive as other things in daily life (that doesn't make it completely right and I am not saying that)... .....regards

Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Invariably these types of discussions devolve into claims of moral outrage and implied superiority, often sprinkled with notions of "us against them", persecution and self-righteousness. This one is no different.

Please go back and read this thread through. A rather unfunny attempt at parody was posted. More than a day and a half goes by and JoAnn remarks that it appears to be a parody of people who collect cards of Jewish players. More than 24 hours after the intial post, Josh "thinks" she may be onto something, and that the remark might be anti-semetic. No outrage, just basically puzzlement. Explanations are offered by others, but the ball has begun rolling and the poster is demanded to appear and explain himself. A vigil is kept--so many hours have passed and no response, never mind that nobody apeared bothered about the damn thing for two days. Break out the tar and feathers. Those who find it overblown are reminded of how we need to be more sensitive, and, to the extent we disagree with a certain point of view, we are told our opinions are devoid of intelligent thought. All of this on a flippin baseball card forum!!!! What happened to the "Show me your e92 Nadja's" or other threads that unite, not divide us here?

I misspoke when I said I agreed "completely" with Gil, since I loathe speaking in absolutes or overbroad generalities, and since I cannot presume to know precisley what he meant or intended. I do not think it is OK to hate someone based on skin color, etc., in some moral or objectified sense. I do agree with Gil that such hatred is not morally right and is counterproductive--read the entire post, knee-jerks. It also may not be acted upon or taught or others, as, again, such would be morally wrong and counterproductive.

It is OK, in my view, to have thoughts of hatred for certain classes of people without feeling the need to conclude that you are a hopeless loser who needs to be straightened out by the enlightened and usually self-proclaimed thought police. It is a recognition of one's flaws, in my view, and does not mean that one should act upon it, promote it and try not to change. Right now, I have a serious dislike of certain middle easterners. I know it is wrong and irrational, I would never espouse or act upon it and would come to their defense if I saw them (or anyone else) being treated unjustly. I am not proud of my feelings nor do I fully understand them, but I know I am a decent person who does not need to be lectured. I am working on it, and that's OK.

I regret if my opinions in this thread offend anyone, but I will only say that once. I am what I am, I believe what I believe, and I'm moving forward, not backward.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Mine is now the 72nd post (I didn't want to be completely left out), and this has nothing to do with vintage card collecting, or even baseball. We should put this to bed, although the sheer length of the thread has become somewhat humorous in and of itself.
How about starting a baseball debate, such as whether or not my beloved Chicago Cubs should be kicked out of Major League baseball for not fielding a championship team in 100 years, come 2008?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I second that motion.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

"...It is alright to hate someone because of their religion, their race, their ancestry, or any other characteristic."

Gil, you're doing a FINE job defending your point of view... Thanks!

Leon, please DELETE this thread once and for all!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

You're taking that quote out of context. I take him to mean that it's prefectly LEGAL to hate people, and it is. Nobody is arguing that it's good, or ok to hate or be prejudiced. Gil certainly isn't and it's not right to characterize his posts as such. He's arguing against knee jerk censorship. This thread has become very shrill, but I hope Leon doesn't delete it. We are who we are, afterall, and this forum is a record of our thoughts, for good and bad.

--Chad

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"I'm sure we all agree that we ought to love one another and I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that."

NATIONAL BROTHERHOOD WEEK
(Lyrics by Tom Lehrer)

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks.
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clarke are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise,
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It's National Everyone-smile-at-one-another-hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

I realize that I indicated that I would not revisit this subject, however, it appears to me that from your response to my input, I must be alone in the belief that hatred due to the characteristics of specific individuals is not only justified, it is warranted. As some of you indicated, my point of view must not be well thought out. It is my contention that your point of view is not well thought out.

Please feel free to be so enraged right now that you are no longer capable of thought nor reading, and begin drafting your tirade of rebuttal without hearing me out (again).

I fully know that the good book says that one should love his enemies, and turn the other cheek. Well, I have found that when dealing with bullies an approach alternate to hoping that they will soon grow tired of hitting you, is to let them know that they have been in a battle (you will not always win, but others will be easaier prey for the bullies).

And persons with the following characteristics I currently hate, solely based on those characteristics, and I plan to continue to hate, are summarized below. This list is no where near complete.

Bullies who view the US Postal System as an excellent vehicle to distribute loose Anthrax.
Bullies who are proven pedophiles.
The same applies to drug dealers, prostitutes and others whose primary function in our society is harmful to the society's general well being.
Bullies who use our airplanes to crash into our buildings.
This list is long (and it does not differ from that of many of you who pretend to not hate) .

Id like to tell you more about myself, how I raised my children and address other curiousities which were voiced, but I really do not think that anyone cares. If you do, please e-mail me.

Chad was correct in his assessment. My thoughts were primarily focused on the legality and the continual erosion of my rights. But I also do not contend that I am hate free.

I appreciate those who already have thought this thru and have reached whatever conclusion. I always applaud opposing thought out opinions.

Its Only Gil

Old 06-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Im sorry, but hating someone because they crash planes into our buildings isnt exactly like hating someone because they are Jewish.

Further, those very people you hate crashed those planes into our buildings for no other reason than they believe America is a bully and they hate Americans.

So I guess by your logic the 9/11 terrorist were justified in their hatred and actions as well - for they were merely letting us know that we were in for a fight.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: V117Collector

Freaky Friday!

Old 06-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Go4It Josh! Twist my statements to create whatever comedy routine pleases you. I too will sit back and enjoy your creations.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Please tell me how I twisted your words:

"I must be alone in the belief that hatred due to the characteristics of specific individuals is not only justified, it is warranted."

"I have found that when dealing with bullies an approach alternate to hoping that they will soon grow tired of hitting you, is to let them know that they have been in a battle"

"And persons with the following characteristics I currently hate, solely based on those characteristics, and I plan to continue to hate, are summarized below. This list is no where near complete."

"Bullies who use our airplanes to crash into our buildings."

I have not twisted anything - Ive made an analogy using your logic - just from the opposite point of view.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator

i thought this was dead and buried too.

gil, i don't think any of us are questioning your legal right to hate someone. we are questioning your moral and ethic makeup which would lead you to express those feeling in a public forum.

in my book, it is not ok to hate someone for no other reason than his/her nationality, religon, ethnic background, hair color, etc.....

i do not think josh twisted your words, go back and re-read them yourself.

and gil, many times after reading your cryptic posts i find myself thinking...."i want to party with that guy!"

this time you articulated your feelings (at least well enough for me to somewhat understand them) and i think you are off-base. all any of us asked was for this marcus to come back and explain the intent of his thread. he still has not, and i'm not sure why anyone is defending that type of troll.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Of course it is illegal in this country to "hate" someone. Due to bogus "hate crime" legislation, the state gets to judge the intents of your heart in the commission(sp?) of a crime. If they judge that you have committed a "thought" crime in addition to another crime, your penalty is harsher. Never mind this is seperate and unequal and "protected" groups get all the benefits. Nevertheless, it can be illegal to "hate" someone.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

God hated Esau AND chose the Jews as His people. How does that fit into all of this?

Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Josh, I am at a loss as to how my statements can be extrapolated to the following conclusion:

So I guess by your logic the 9/11 terrorist were justified in their hatred and actions as well - for they were merely letting us know that we were in for a fight.

There is no evidence which establishes that motivation as defense against a bully anymore than there is evidence that their motivation was our support of Israel.

In this game, guessing is deadly.

And Andy: I never had intent to defend Marcus. The conclusion which I drew was that it is impossible to draw a conclusion of his motivation based on the words which he typed.

And I assure you that characteristics such as nationality, religon, ethnic background, hair color, financial status, etc..... have no meaning to me, while characteristics such as sexual preferences, questionable activities and the like could indeed make a significant difference regarding my feelings toward an individual.

And James, it certainly does reap a more significant punishment if you commit a crime which can be related to hate. But the key there is that you have commited a crime.

Why don't we all just let this drop? I do not think that there is real controversy here. Then again, it is kinda fun!

And as far as airing my hatred for the world to see: I do not believe that my deep dark secret is now out of the bag. I actually believe that we all hate those who can and may harm us severely at any time.

Esau = asuy

Old 06-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

It is illegal to assault someone or kill them or whatever. Doing so out of racial or other animus is an enhancement to the penalties. You can hate whoever you want, you just can't kick their asses because of it.

Gil: I used to hate lots of people: Palestinians, white supremacists, my opposing counsels in hard-fought cases. Then I figured it out. Hating someone, even your sworn enemy, coarsens, degrades and lowers you to the level of an animal. Hatred leads to irrational personal decisions and bad choices in public policy. It inevitably destroys justice and morality leaving in its place only an ever-escalating chain of violence. It dehumanizes the subject of the hatred, ultimately justifying the most heinous, barbarous acts against them. If I hate you, I cannot engage in any kind of dialogue with you under any circumstances because I have already defined you as anathema to my existence. Instead, I must do anything possible to destroy you. If the Allies hated the Axis countries, they would have had no choice other than to wipe them from the face of the earth, not seek their surrender and re-emergence into the community of nations. How does hating them help? And if they hate us and we hate them, how can we ever expect to reach any kind of end to the violence, other than by annihilating them and everyone who sympathizes with them? No, your path leads nowhere good.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

OK, finally a baseball connection.....

Lifetime stats for Walter Esau Beall:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/beallwa01.shtml

Old 06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Gil,

I wish you'd simply be frank, but I got it now... You believe noone else is a threat to your way of life but terrorists (neos, militia etc), lesbians and gay men... Or perhaps you're post ain't clear.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Adam, I know you to be right. However, I visualize my daughters being thirty years younger than they are, and a pedophile moving into our area. A clear and present danger to young daughters. Hurray for daddies everywhere (and mommies too).

Old 06-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

"It is illegal to assault someone or kill them or whatever. Doing so out of racial or other animus is an enhancement to the penalties. You can hate whoever you want, you just can't kick their asses because of it."

I fail to see how that isn't even close. It is illegal to hate someone when it is COUPLED with a violent act. The penalties are harsher because it is also a "thought crime" as well. It is unequal because some groups are protected, while others aren't. On the 11 o'clock news last night I saw a video where a young African-American man committed what could be construed as Aggravated Assault on a young White male during a basketball game. Nothing was mentioned of it being a "hate" crime, just an assault. If the tables were turned, it would have been automatically deemed a "hate" crime. Could'nt all crime be deemed as such? Why must we legislate thoughts or give tougher penalties for presumed intent? As for this thread, I know the original poster must be sitting back in his easy chair with a huge grin over all the fuss and knee-jerk reactions and assumptions he created.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

i guess ozzie guillen is now visiting the vintage board...

Old 06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

James,

Im not a criminal lawyer, but there has to be evidence of intent based on race etc. before something becomes a hate crime. A crime against someone of a different color or religion isnt enough - however, if you do it in a white hood (and by hood I mean hat, not ones place of residence), it might be.

Further, and one of the criminal lawyers can correct me if Im wrong, but I believe if there is evidence that a white person was assaulted due to the color of their skin, it too could be deemed a hate crime.

Finally, what Adam was trying to explain is that you cannot be convicted simply for hating someone - that is not illegal. You are convicted of the crime (ie the assault, etc). Once convicted, the sentencing takes into account any aggravating factors - one of which is a hate based crime. Thus, you might get 20 years instead of 10 years but youre going to jail for the crime itself either way.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Josh,

Thanks for the explanation, and I fully understand what both yourself and Adam are saying. Since I've been married and ESPECIALLY since my wife is having our first next week BOTH my verbal and written communication skills have been lacking as far as intent I KNOW what I mean, unfortunately no one else, ESPECIALLY MY MOTHER IN LAW knows what I'm trying to get across.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

No problem James - I know what having a baby does to one's mind Congrats in advance.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately Mother-in-laws ability to understand is at its peak when you first get married, if my experience is typical.

And as far as hate crimes including extra punishment for the thought element, it has been precedented by having premeditated murder (for example) yielding a higher penalty than impulsive murder. So if based on hate, a crime is considered at least partially premeditated. I think.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

They are not necessarily crimes according to the laws of this country, but there are some very disturbing thoughts held by some of the participants of this thread. I hope they do not act upon them.
JimB

Old 06-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have had several requests to lock this thread and do feel at this point it is time. Any other thoughts can be taken to private emails...thanks for playing....regards ...moderator dude...