NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Can't do a thread like this w/o mentioning boxers. Some of the absolute friendliest, nicest down to earth guys you will ever hope to meet. I've been to a few HOF related events and some other times too, so I've met quite a few. Some highlights:

--Jeff Chandler: another HOFer, Joltin' Jeff came to my table at a HOF show. We had a nice conversation and he signed a card for me. Actually thanked me for remembering who he was afterwards. This is a multi-division champion and HOFer who thought people might not remember him.
Adam, one of the best books I have read in recent years was Tris Dixon's amazing book "The Road to Nowhere: A Journey Through Boxing's Wastelands." The premise of the book is that Dixon spent several months criss-crossing the country on Greyhound buses and staying in bus terminals/fleabag motels in search of as many forgotten boxing champions or cult heroes as he could find. The premise is pretty much "Glory of Their Times" for boxers instead of baseball players.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Nowhere-.../dp/190962652X

Dixon tracked down over 40 former boxers, many of whom have since passed away. He saw lots of really sad sights; boxers who now suffered from dementia and had nothing left to show for their careers. He phoned Jake LaMotta and told LaMotta that he wanted to talk about his career. When LaMotta asked how much he was going to pay, Dixon stated nothing. The phone line then went dead.

Iran Barkley shook down Dixon for $10 after a photo was taken. But Dixon was not upset, since it clearly appeared that Barkley could use the $10. Dixon bought a $20 t-shirt for Matthew Saad Muhammad, only to have Muhammad literally sell the shirt off his back for $15 because "you can't eat a t-shirt."

Some of the boxers were moved to tears that anyone even remembered their career or wanted to talked about it. Jeff Chandler could not believe a white guy walked though one of North Philadelphia's most violent ghettos and knocked on his door to talk about his boxing career.

Dixon found a listing for a "Dwight Qawi" in the Camden, N.J., phone book and called the number. Qawi answered the phone and said he would be "right there" when Dixon told him he wanted to talk about his boxing career. Qawi then became agitated when Dixon asked too many questions and snapped "We ain't doing my life story."

Dixon called former light-heavyweight champion Harold Johnson to set up a meeting. Johnson said on the phone that he would be thrilled to talk about his career, then forgot he had ever talked to Dixon in the 45-minute span it took Dixon to arrive at Johnson's apartment. Dixon stayed in contact with Johnson several times after that initial meeting, and the boxer never remembered any of the prior conversations. Dixon would then tell Johnson that he was just a fan who wanted to know how one of his favorite boxers was doing these days.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Read it some time ago. It was as you reported. Try "In This Corner" by Peter Heller. The real boxing analog to The Glory of Their Times because he interviews guys who were fighting in the teens through the 1970s

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-04-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:13 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I've been to a lot of nascar races but I'm not an autograph person
especially when it requires waiting in a long line.

It was 2001 at Dover Delaware the first nascar race after 9/11
my wife and I were walking through the area where all the souvenir
trailers are and Rusty Wallace was signing autographs at his so I stopped
to take a couple of pictures.

There was a long line and some how he found out that a woman in the
back of the line was the wife of a New York City firefighter so he had
someone go get her and bring her into the trailer. He gave her a hug and
thanked her and if I remember correctly I think he signed a few things
from the trailer that he gave her besides whatever she brought to get
signed.

img112.jpg

img113.jpg

img114.jpg
Old 02-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Read it some time ago. It was as you reported. Try "In This Corner" by Peter Heller. The real boxing analog to The Glory of Their Times because he interviews guys who were fighting in the teens through the 1970s
I am familiar with the "in This Corner...," book, but have not pulled the trigger on buying it.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Chris

Now I know the rest of the story behind these figures. Also check out the BBB press pin.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]vblue2.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vblue1.jpg (74.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg vblue3.jpg (78.5 KB, 108 views)