NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Michael Skiles

Default 1962 Jell-O Cards

Some of my fellow Post Cereal/Jell-O card collectors have been wondering if anyone has a complete set of 1962 Jell-O cards. We are also trying to find out how many complete sets may be in existence. We have compiled a list of the toughest cards in the set. If anyone out there has any sets, please post.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
Some of my fellow Post Cereal/Jell-O card collectors have been wondering if anyone has a complete set of 1962 Jell-O cards. We are also trying to find out how many complete sets may be in existence. We have compiled a list of the toughest cards in the set. If anyone out there has any sets, please post.
My guess is that there are not too many complete sets of 62 Jell-O out there.....there are probably more complete runs of 62 Post (all variations included) and 61 Post (again w/all variations) than there are 62 Jell-O complete sets(w/o variations). I am nearly complete on the full run 61 and 62 Post sets, about half way on the 63 Jell-O and about 60% on the 62 Post Canadian set. However, with the 62 Jello-O set, I have never even considered starting this set as the cards are so tough to locate (due to either cost and/or availability).

Please let us know how many complete 62 Jell-O sets you know of and if there are any completed with all variations also.....
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Update

I have completed a 61 Post Cereal Baseball Master Set, in 62 I need 18 cards to complete and in 63 I need 28 cards to complete my master sets. I have a 62 Canadian Baseball set and I am 39 cards short of a complete set.

For football, I am working on a master set of 62 US. I need 5 cards for my set and a lot for a master set. I have a 62 Canadian football set and need 13 cards to complete the plus 8 cards for a master set. I have a complete 63 Canadian football set and am working on the master set, 20 cards to complete.

As for the Jell-O sets, I know what you are saying about the 62 set. I currently have 117 of the cards. For my 63 Jell-O set I need 27 cards.

I have all of the newer Post sets for the 90's and have almost a complete run of the Canadian Jell-O cards from 81 through 2000 including intact boxes of Jell-o and Cereal.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Mike E

Quote:
I have completed a 61 Post Cereal Baseball Master Set, in 62 I need 18 cards to complete and in 63 I need 28 cards to complete my master sets. I have a 62 Canadian Baseball set and I am 39 cards short of a complete set.

For football, I am working on a master set of 62 US. I need 5 cards for my set and a lot for a master set. I have a 62 Canadian football set and need 13 cards to complete the plus 8 cards for a master set. I have a complete 63 Canadian football set and am working on the master set, 20 cards to complete.

As for the Jell-O sets, I know what you are saying about the 62 set. I currently have 117 of the cards. For my 63 Jell-O set I need 27 cards.

I have all of the newer Post sets for the 90's and have almost a complete run of the Canadian Jell-O cards from 81 through 2000 including intact boxes of Jell-o and Cereal.
I am curious how you are defining “master set.” In 61 for example, is that all the cards from the company and 1 of each available from boxes, or one of each player from each combo of boxes? E.g. Ryne Duren 1 each from Grape-Nuts Flakes, Post Toasties, and Raisin Bran?
I have found these interesting for years, and have 61,62, and 63 Post baseball smaller definition master sets.

Last edited by 62corvette; 02-19-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Normally the master set would include printed variations like Frank Robinson (with or without red stripes on cap), the Minnesota vs. Minneapolis printings, and some would even consider the cut from box differently from the perforated sheets. Even the ones that have different colored stat boxes (Koufax?) and birthdates.

I don't think full boxes with one of each card is what they're talking about.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Mike E

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Normally the master set would include printed variations like Frank Robinson (with or without red stripes on cap), the Minnesota vs. Minneapolis printings, and some would even consider the cut from box differently from the perforated sheets. Even the ones that have different colored stat boxes (Koufax?) and birthdates.

I don't think full boxes with one of each card is what they're talking about.
Thanks, I realize that the definition of a master set is a little foggy, and that there are serious collectors (like Dan Mabey) who are pursuing true master sets. That is why I asked him for his definition.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62corvette View Post
Thanks, I realize that the definition of a master set is a little foggy, and that there are serious collectors (like Dan Mabey) who are pursuing true master sets. That is why I asked him for his definition.
My definition of a true master set would be the same as Dan's, a copy of each card from each of the available products. I originally just collected the image cropping variations, as well as the other variations, before realizing I was realistically close to being able to complete the "master" sets for 61-62 Post sets. The 63 Post/Jell-O sets and the 62 Post Candian I am working to complete just the 1-200 basic set.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Master Sets

A master set consists of a card for each player from each box that they were on, for example: Gene Woodling is on 4 boxes in the 1962 set.

Grape Nut Flakes 12oz
Top 3 10oz
Oat Flakes 15oz
SC 9oz

The Top 3 and Oat Flakes cards are very similar and the scan may not show it but his face is a slightly darker reddish tint as well as his hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 Post Woodling.jpg (8.9 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Michael, is Dan Mabey among the "we"? I seem to recall him making a plea on here for research material on the magnificent 1962 JELL-O set in preparation for a book. I for one am very interested in buying his book. In fact, I have a few morsels to contribute if Dan is interested. Would you happen to know how to reach Mr. Mabey? Thanks for your help in advance.

----- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Michael, is Dan Mabey among the "we"? I seem to recall him making a plea on here for research material on the magnificent 1962 JELL-O set in preparation for a book. I for one am very interested in buying his book. In fact, I have a few morsels to contribute if Dan is interested. Would you happen to know how to reach Mr. Mabey? Thanks for your help in advance.

----- Brian Powell
He is a member here...his ID is keepmeposted
Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Mike E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

----- Brian Powell
His book on 62’s is not cheap, but very much worth while for guys like us.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62corvette View Post
I don't think he's updating his books but he posts on here sometimes.

Last edited by toppcat; 02-20-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Michael Skiles

Default 62 Jello

I have all of Dan's books. He is not the one I am referring to. There is a group of us that got together at the National in Chicago. We had hoped that Dan would meet us there but, he was too busy. I have written a piece on the 63 Jell-O comparing the hard cards in that set with the hard cards in the Post Cereal set. (It was General Foods intent that cards from either, combined could make a set) Once I proof it, I was thinking of sending it to Rich Mueller of Sports Collector's Daily. We have collected quite a bit of data on the 62 Jello set. We know which players are on pudding boxes and which are on regular Jello. However there are still some players we have not been able to ascertain which boxes they were on. I started this thread to see if we could finish that and perhaps identify how many full sets are in existence.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Mike Reid

One of my prized possessions. You don’t see the complete boxes very often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 184EED52-E275-42EF-9D40-F65E86589947.jpg (20.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Mike Reid

Here’s one from 63.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4377020-9F19-443A-993F-29D6E44BED01.jpg (20.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Ken Marks

I would certainly agree that a Post Cereal Master set, as discussed above, is comprised of one card from each each cereal flavor/size that a player appeared on. However I would include a couple of caveats.

1) There are a few players where Post made changes to the narrative at some point in the production run on certain card panels. The Adcock/Adock and Cepeda cards in the 62 BB set are examples of this and in that case you would need (for example) both versions of Joe Adcock (Adcock and Adock) for each of the 10 oz. Grape Nuts, 16 oz Grape Nuts, and the Post Ten Tray since both versions appeared on those panels. (Narrative differences of cards such as Cash, Gentile, and Hanson did not occur on the same cereal boxes, so all those variations are captured by simply getting a card from each cereal flavor they appeared on.)

2) In 1962 for both baseball and football, Post put out two players on two different large Raisen Bran panels. There are discernible cropping differences in each of the two cards for all four players on those BB and FB panels ... and a master set should include both versions of each player.

3) Again in 1962, Post printed panels on two types of the 12 oz. Post Toasties packages (thus creating the "white backs"). While likely fewer collectors would agree, I believe a master set should include both versions of each of those 28 players for each of the sports.

4) Cards from the individual Alpha Bits variety packages (Post Tens and Treat Packs) each are different for most years and a master set should include both versions of these cards.

I so totally agree that the definition of a Master Set can vary and there is not a universally agreed definition. So am not claiming the above is the sole way it should be viewed. I would say though that in discussion with Dan Mabey over the years, believe he agrees (along with other major collectors such as Dave Worley and Fred McKie). This is a good discussion and would love to hear more thoughts on the definition. Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Master Sets

Ken's points are well taken. I agree with all of them. For Jell-O master sets, there are some differences that I have noted. I will scan and post them and add detail at that time.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Michael Skiles

Default 63 Jello

As promised here are a couple of scans of some Jello cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63 Jello One.jpg (75.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Second scan

Some more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63 Jello Two.jpg (74.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Scans

As you can see from the previous 2 scans, the cards of each player are different. The Jose Pagan card is from 6oz Jello. You will note that the statistics box is a much paler yellow than the others. All of the others are from 3oz Jello boxes. It is difficult to say which box the cards might be from without having full boxes to compare to. I will use the Joe Koppe cards as an example. This is pure speculation based on Dan Mabey's description of the rotogravure printing process. In his explanation the front of the cereal boxes dominate the color schemes. I am using that assumption for the Jello boxes. The Koppe with the bluish background I labeled as 3oz Orange Jello. The Purplish background Koppe I labeled as 3oz Blackberry. The front of the Orange Jello would have Oranges on the front. You can see this in the full box that was posted here by BaseballCrazy62. The Blackberry box would have Blackberrys on the front thus causing the mix to be darker making the background purplish instead of bluish. Again this all pure speculation.