NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default T210 Series 8 checklist question

Posted By: Jason Carota

According to my 2007 SCD and Lipset Encyclopedia, there is a Series 8 card of "Owen" who played for Birmingham. The card I have of "Owen" is clearly printed as "Ower":

[linked image]

Is there a variation with the name "Owen?"

Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

My copy of The Sports Collectors Bible shows Ower of Birmingham. I think they got it right.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

My guess is that SCD copied the typo in Lew's book. The card is Ower.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks for the replies, Bill and Jay.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I agree with Bill and Jay.

When someone asks me about what books or guides are helpful, I encourage them to get the newest Standard Catalog, Mr. Lipset's 3 Encyclopedias, Bert Sugar's Sports Collector's Bible, and Mr. Burdick's American Card Catalog. The response I get is why would they need the old stuff, the last 2, or the last 3. And this thread shows a reason why.

If a fellow has one white border tobacco card, a T206, then he has ONE. Once he accumulates a couple of dozen, then he's likely to have one for each major league team, and some minor leaguers; at that point an alphabetical ordering makes sense to me, for simplicity's sake. Once an accumulation of T206s grows to 400 or so, then what seems sensible to me is to bunch them by team. That is how Bert Sugar lists them in the Sports Collector's Bible. He did it that way 'cause that's how the old guys grouped them. And when you see a set or near set grouped that way it becomes obvious that an alphabetical ordering is helpful for finding a single card, but that a team ordering is much more appealing. Within the teams I like to sort them by series, so the evolution of the poses and uniform types becomes apparent; "Cubs" across the jersey came before "Chicago" down the front. I think that the target group of folks who might most benefit from what I've said won't see this site... and most of the folks on this site care not about the red border Old Mill cards, so even they won't look at this thread. 'tis a shame.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

"When someone asks me about what books or guides are helpful, I encourage them to get the newest Standard Catalog, Mr. Lipset's 3 Encyclopedias, Bert Sugar's Sports Collector's Bible, and Mr. Burdick's American Card Catalog. The response I get is why would they need the old stuff, the last 2, or the last 3. And this thread shows a reason why. "

I agree but with a caveat-the Sugar books used their own version of ACC numbering which starts deviating from Burdick's system in the mid 1950's or thereabouts. Otherwise, the Sports Collectors Bible is a fine reference with many listings not easily found elsewhere. I also recommend that if someone starts to dig deep into the esoteric sets, that past issues of the SCD "big book" are useful as many older sets get dropped as newer ones get added. An big Becket Almanac is also useful. A good non-sport reference such as Chris Benjamin's is useful too as there are baseball subjects in many non sport sets.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the posts, Frank and Dave. I recently picked up the Lipset encyclopedia, and I plan on purchasing a copy of the ACC soon.

Do either the ACC or Sports Collectors Bible list the first names of the T210 players? As I am just starting to work on this set, I would like to find out some more info about the players. Finding first names would be a great place to start, as I have had difficulty finding any info.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

I have several suggestions for you --you might want to start with the Society for American Baseball Research ( SABR). They maintain a Minor League Database which is very good. Some time ago we published the first names of most of the T210 Series 6 players in this forum( check our archives). If you are looking for first names of specific players from the T210 series collectively the forum members always seem to be able to help if you post here. It always seems to make the card more enjoyable when you see a first name and think this might have been their 1910 15 minutes of fame.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Mr. Sugar's Bible lists 210s in series, by team. Only last names. But it is neat and helpful to see the players bunched by team.

The ACC only has two lines for T210s...

T210 - BB Players, Old Mill red bordered photos...... .30
_______8 numbered series. (563 known)

The ACC isn't much for information on a particular card. A fellow could go for a few months without disturbing the book from the shelf. But then you might want to see what all American Caramel was distrubuting contemporaneously with the E90-1s, and you can look at Mr. Burdick's listing of E cards and get an idea. That information isn't found in the other books. The ACC is useful for card identification, sometimes, as well as putting a set in historical perspective.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Bill:

I've visited the SABR site many times, yet I never noticed the Minor League DB. After visiting, I managed to acquire the first names for almost all (3 exceptions) of my T210's. Thanks!

Frank:

Thanks for the book info.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

According to my 2007 SCD and Lipset Encyclopedia, there is a Series 8 card of "Owen" who played for Birmingham. The card I have of "Owen" is clearly printed as "Ower":

[linked image]

Is there a variation with the name "Owen?"

Does your OWER have a period before and after his name? Like ".OWER." or is it OWER, Birmingham??

Thanks,
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Default Rephrase

Ok, let me rephrase the question. Can anyone provide a scan of a T210 Ower?
I've searched everywhere and except for a lot pict on REA, which is too small, I can't find anything.

tia,
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Default Still Looking.

Bump.