NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2021, 08:09 PM
Kin K.

Eddie,

Which of these cards did you pick up. I remember seeing these on eBay and just couldn't go strong at the time. I just wanted a type card myself.

I haven't been on N54 much but am once again shifting my focus back toward the vintage Indy 500 stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings in my inability to focus. I've still been slowly picking up some of the vintage cards and I assume have been bidding against some other members.

Hope all is well!
-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I picked up a type card tonight from an extremely rare racing game dating to either 1937 or 1938. I had never even seen an example of the cards before, but a seller listed 46 different cards in individual auctions from what was obviously a board game. The game contains driver cards from all the stars of the day and many of the past Indianapolis 500 winners.

I occasionally do eBay searches of the some of the early Indy winners, and had never seen even seen a driver type card from the game prior to the past few days. The cards are intriguing, since the that era is such a black hole of racing cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...p2047675.l2557

I mostly struck out trying to find additional information on the game via a Google search. I could not find even a single past sale of the game or any of the driver cards. Surprisingly, the only additional information I was able to find through Google came via a Beckett checklist for the game that shows 48 different cards.

https://www.beckett.com/racing/1937/...-indy-500-game
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 08-16-2021, 03:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post
Eddie,

Which of these cards did you pick up. I remember seeing these on eBay and just couldn't go strong at the time. I just wanted a type card myself.

I haven't been on N54 much but am once again shifting my focus back toward the vintage Indy 500 stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings in my inability to focus. I've still been slowly picking up some of the vintage cards and I assume have been bidding against some other members.

Hope all is well!
-kin
I picked up Frank Lockhart. I wanted a 500 winner as my type card. Lockhart is interesting story, having won the Indy 500 and setting a land speed record before dying on another land speed record attempt (the video is on YouTube).

I know it is not vintage, but I have been following the Topps Formula 1 releases of the past year. Many of the auction prices, especially for Hamilton and Verstappen, are mind blowing to me. I have not picked up any of those cards yet, but I will. Even prices of early Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher cards from the 1980s and '90s have exploded over the past year.

I picked up a Mulford T227 card, which I have wanted for a while, recently from a board member. I have also started working on a T36 basic set. I currently at 10/25 cards on that.

Happy to see you are still around and still collecting racing.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-16-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Kin K.

I haven't gotten much into the F! because honestly, I just don't find the racing interesting. I bought a Lewis Hamilton refractor on COMC, so I might have it by 2025.

I'm in the Montgomery Club, so I also have a box of the F1 Sapphire. I may open it, or if prices rise I might sell it. Not really sure.

Congrats on the T227 Mulford. I was able to get one last year and will probably pick up more if I happen to see them.

We should chat on the T36 cards. I am at 69/100 on the master set and have at least a dozen multiples. Maybe I have one or two you need.

I'm definitely still around. Like my actual collecting, I have trouble with focus on sites. I used to write, but now I am mostly on YouTube. I've really neglected Net54 and TCDB over the last 2-3 years but am starting to get back to it.

Hopefully I stay focused this time. I've discovered that I just don't care much for current sports or cards, so hopefully I've gotten to the point I can achieve focus.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I picked up Frank Lockhart. I wanted a 500 winner as my type card. Lockhart is interesting story, having won the Indy 500 and setting a land speed record before dying on another land speed record attempt (the video is on YouTube).

I know it is not vintage, but I have been following the Topps Formula 1 releases of the past year. Many of the auction prices, especially for Hamilton and Verstappen, are mind blowing to me. I have not picked up any of those cards yet, but I will. Even prices of early Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher cards from the 1980s and '90s have exploded over the past year.

I picked up a Mulford T227 card, which I have wanted for a while, recently from a board member. I have also started working on a T36 basic set. I currently at 10/25 cards on that.

Happy to see you are still around and still collecting racing.

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 08-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post
I haven't gotten much into the F! because honestly, I just don't find the racing interesting. I bought a Lewis Hamilton refractor on COMC, so I might have it by 2025.

I'm in the Montgomery Club, so I also have a box of the F1 Sapphire. I may open it, or if prices rise I might sell it. Not really sure.

Congrats on the T227 Mulford. I was able to get one last year and will probably pick up more if I happen to see them.

We should chat on the T36 cards. I am at 69/100 on the master set and have at least a dozen multiples. Maybe I have one or two you need.

I'm definitely still around. Like my actual collecting, I have trouble with focus on sites. I used to write, but now I am mostly on YouTube. I've really neglected Net54 and TCDB over the last 2-3 years but am starting to get back to it.

Hopefully I stay focused this time. I've discovered that I just don't care much for current sports or cards, so hopefully I've gotten to the point I can achieve focus.

-kin
You're not wrong about the excitement level of F1, but I have started to get into what is out there historically for the all-time greats of the series. I am not much of a modern collector, but I do think the Topps Chrome/Sapphire cards are really nice. I think there is upside possibility with Lewis Hamilton cards, especially if he does get an eighth championship. I also think the same about some of the F2 autograph cards that can be had for very little.

I was mistaken earlier. I am actually at 11/25 on the T36 set. I am just putting together a set of 25 drivers in G/VG condition. The drivers I have so far are Chevrolet, Christie, DePalma, Dingley, Fournier, Janatzy, Michener, Nazzaro, Oldfield, Robertson and Szisz

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-17-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Kin K.

My spares might be on the lower end. My set building method is getting one of each card (so long as the price is right) and then upgrading later. Actually just got a couple in yesterday that were upgrades.

With them not coming available that often, I had to make some adjustments to what I'm doing in order to keep adding to the collection.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:48 PM
Bob C.

Any of you racing enthusiasts ever do anything with collecting midget racers? Back in 1936 various papers around the country printed what were called Sports Stamps in them that included pictures and short bios of various sports athletes of the day. One paper, the Los Angeles Examiner, included midget race car drivers as part of their Sports Stamps series. Wondered if anyone else had ever seen or collected these.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Any of you racing enthusiasts ever do anything with collecting midget racers? Back in 1936 various papers around the country printed what were called Sports Stamps in them that included pictures and short bios of various sports athletes of the day. One paper, the Los Angeles Examiner, included midget race car drivers as part of their Sports Stamps series. Wondered if anyone else had ever seen or collected these.
I am not familiar with the Los Angeles Examiner Sports Stamps you mentioned, but I do like Midget racing. I attended several Midget shows during USAC's swing through Pennsylvania earlier this month.

Pre World War II, many of the top Midget drivers in the country progressed to big cars and eventually made it to Indy.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 PM
Kin K.

I've not heard of them either, but would be interested to learn. There's a chance that some Indianapolis drivers might be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post