NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-04-2018, 12:16 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Hostess Master Checklist

I've searched through the net54 archives and wasn't able to find anything. Can someone share a link to a master Hostess checklist if one exists? In particular, I'm looking for information on panel variations. It seems that the L-shaped panels were printed on Cup Cakes boxes but I'm wondering if there was an L-shaped panel variation for every panel in every year or only certain panels in certain years? For example, if there was a L-panel, I have always found the straight panel equivalent but there are some straight panels I have never seen an L-panel for.

Also, it is well documented that the individually wrapped Twinkies had black bars/bold print on the back but I have seen next to nothing documented regarding the individually wrapped Suzy-Q cards which also have a black bar on back but came on a much larger card stock. As an identifier, the black bar is much further away from the player's name and stats than on a Twinkies card. Does a checklist of the Suzy-Qs exist? The only one I have as an example is a 1977 Rick Monday.

Last edited by 4reals; 04-04-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Rick Monday example: Twinkies (left), Suzy Q (right).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
I've searched through the net54 archives and wasn't able to find anything. Can someone share a link to a master Hostess checklist if one exists? In particular, I'm looking for information on panel variations. It seems that the L-shaped panels were printed on Cup Cakes boxes but I'm wondering if there was an L-shaped panel variation for every panel in every year or only certain panels in certain years? For example, if there was a L-panel, I have always found the straight panel equivalent but there are some straight panels I have never seen an L-panel for.

Also, it is well documented that the individually wrapped Twinkies had black bars/bold print on the back but I have seen next to nothing documented regarding the individually wrapped Suzy-Q cards which also have a black bar on back but came on a much larger card stock. As an identifier, the black bar is much further away from the player's name and stats than on a Twinkies card. Does a checklist of the Suzy-Qs exist? The only one I have as an example is a 1977 Rick Monday.
Joe, I do not know about a master checklist existing, but I have learned something already from your posts. For years, I have been trying to understand with 77s why I had some cards stained just as Twinkies cards very often are, but were missing the black bars that the Twinkies cards have. Suzy-Q cards would explain this. Is there a way you can post a picture of the back of these two cards also?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Hostess Master Checklist

Here’s one for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381574866838

It seems the Suzy Q panels may have only been released in 1977.

Last edited by 4reals; 04-04-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 AM
gr*g.zamp.ino

Gotta say, the 2018 Suzy Qs are basically Devil Dogs under the Hostess brand..nothing like the 1970s-80's versions which had a deep, moist texture and taste...the two pack was my favorite from the college dorm vending machine!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Here’s one for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381574866838

It seems the Suzy Q panels may have only been released in 1977.

Thank you Joe, this is no doubt what I have run across with some(Suzy-Q?) cards appearing to be Twinkies but cut too close and not appearing to have the black bar.

My SCD VBC mentions that the cards were found not only on Twinkies, but on Hostess cupcakes also. It mentions that the numbering was as follows: 1-30 and 111-150 are Twinkies panels and 31-135 are Cupcake panels. So an overlap would appear to be from 111 to 135.

However, there is no mention of Suzy-Q in the VBC. I did find an image of a complete box of Suzy Qs and there are no black bars present.

http://theyountcollector.blogspot.co...-full-box.html

Still none of this explains why the two Monday cards have the bars in different spots.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Mark

I've been battling the 1977 Hostess set since it originally came out. The problem is the individual cards. There are six different formats in which they were released. Some cards were issued in multiple formats base on the product (Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Cupcakes, Sno Balls etc).

My master collection is close to complete, missing some of the extra wide panels from the high number cards.

You can see the frustration in this thread
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...s+case+hostess

That being said, the L shaped panels are not for every panel. Only selected ones. I'll have to check what I have when I get home but I have the run of them from 1976. I haven't tried the later years. Off the top of my head I would say there are maybe a dozen panels that come L shaped. All of the L shaped are also available in straight panels.

I have not noticed either a premium or a markdown for the L Shaped panels. Set collectors hate them because they break up the symmetry.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:33 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzman View Post
Gotta say, the 2018 Suzy Qs are basically Devil Dogs under the Hostess brand..nothing like the 1970s-80's versions which had a deep, moist texture and taste...the two pack was my favorite from the college dorm vending machine!
Lol!!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Try being out here in California. All of the great stuff I grew up eating, like Yodels and Ring Dings, have completely different names in the supermarket. Things like Ho-Ho's and Ding Dongs and lord knows what else. I'm like, "WTF is going on???!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Hostess

Also some came with what i call brown backs. Lettering was brown as i recall. They are mentioned in the catalogs but psa does not recognize them.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
My SCD VBC mentions that the cards were found not only on Twinkies, but on Hostess cupcakes also. It mentions that the numbering was as follows: 1-30 and 111-150 are Twinkies panels and 31-135 are Cupcake panels. So an overlap would appear to be from 111 to 135.
This number outline is very helpful, thank you. Perhaps they were Cupcakes as the SCD says and not Suzy Q's. Not sure where the Suzy Q thing started but when I purchased my Rick Monday variation it is what was in the title like the one Probstein is selling.

Edit: But is the #s 31-135 for cupcakes from 1977? That wouldn't make sense for the Monday card because it's number 30.

Edit #2: Here's a thought...maybe BOTH of my Monday cards are Twinkies. Maybe there were packages wrapped with a single twinkie and packages wrapped with two? The stains on the one def look like chocolate though.

Last edited by 4reals; 04-05-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The brown backs are seemingly random and they are tough. I basically stumbled across mine.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-07-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
This number outline is very helpful, thank you. Perhaps they were Cupcakes as the SCD says and not Suzy Q's. Not sure where the Suzy Q thing started but when I purchased my Rick Monday variation it is what was in the title like the one Probstein is selling.

Edit: But is the #s 31-135 for cupcakes from 1977? That wouldn't make sense for the Monday card because it's number 30.

Edit #2: Here's a thought...maybe BOTH of my Monday cards are Twinkies. Maybe there were packages wrapped with a single twinkie and packages wrapped with two? The stains on the one def look like chocolate though.
I am still confused also about what is what with the 77s.

I recently bought a lot advertised as Twinkies, but I do not feel they are Twinkies, but Cupcakes. The cards from the lot all fall within the # range of 32-132, which matches what the SCD mentions about the Cupcake cards. Attached are the backs of 3 different Lou Brock cards ....all cards are the same width. The first is the back of the regular Hostess card. The second card is not a Hostess or Twinkies card (at least according to the #) but has the black bar visible on bottom edge, and staining on card. The final back appears to be the Cupcake lot...the bar is present, but the font size on the back is significantly smaller than the Twinkies or Hostess font.

So what is this Brock card...could it be a Cupcake with a different font, or from a whole other product?

So, your Monday card would not be a Cupcake card as it likely does not exist in a Cupcake version(based on the # ranges). It still does not match the back of the Suzy-Q cards present on the complete box....possibly a 5th product? (1. Hostess, 2. Twinkies, 3. Cupcakes, 4. Suzy-Q, 5. ????). As you mention, it could be a Twinkie product wrapped differently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (68.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (68.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 04-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Jay T.

The Bold Type cards are Twinkies for 1977, or to put it more simply, they had or have black bars on them.

From numbers 135-150, the only cards that exist are cards with the bars farther away from the cards. Because of this, when they are cut to size they are harder to find. Not exactly sure what product they were in, but I do Know that it wasn't widely distributed. If you find cards that are bold type from 135-150, those are the Twinkie cards and they have or had bars on them.

I also know that some of the cards from 1977 were included in Vending Machines as well. These are the ones which are vertical shaped. Often you can find strips of these with cards being placed vertically.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Here are the fronts and backs of 3 77 Hostess Brocks for comparison. There may be other differences but I frankly got tired of looking for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77 hostess back.jpg (75.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 77 hostess front.jpg (73.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:45 PM

I just found some more scans, these have printers marks on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77 Twinkie backs x 5.jpg (74.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 77 twinkie front x 5.jpg (73.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:08 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Interesting, thanks for the input thusfar.