NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-01-2023, 07:13 PM
Scott

Default Opinons on this listing. would you buy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234839560272

curious. My friend says its ridiculous and overpriced
Old 01-01-2023, 07:29 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Framing looks of the period... Not sure of actual bill's worth however, not sure if the actual story means much. To me depends on the bill's value...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:41 PM
Doug Goodman

I agree that the bill contains the actual 'value' but I think the 'story' is pretty darn cool.

https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lots...-27.12.20-ebth

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-01-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:40 PM
Bob C.

It is an interesting, and odd item. As a true sports related collectible though, can't see much value at all. The framing and writing gives the dollar bill its provenance as to being somewhat related to baseball history, but I've never heard of anyone who valued and collected currency as part of a sports bet. Now if you had the dollar bill signed by a player or some other significant individual from or otherwise related to that World Series, now you're talking a completely different story.

As others have stated, the value depends on what the dollar bill itself would be worth, plus maybe the value of the frame that someone may be interested in. Personally, unless there is some intrinsic, hidden extra value in the dollar bill itself as a currency collectible, I couldn't see paying more than say $30-$40 (if even that) for something like this. Others may have a higher value due to the oddity and/or baseball related connection, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more. I could see an antique store listing it at maybe $50-$100 as a retail price, but don't expect anyone will be interested at even the minimum bid/price being asked on Ebay.

And by the way, based on a quick search online, the value of the dollar bill itself looks to be not so high either. I know this is not the exact same bill as in the item being sold, but doubt the there's going to be a huge, expected price difference.

https://oldmoneyprices.com/1918-1-bl...round%20%24125.

Last edited by BobC; 01-01-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It is an interesting, and odd item. As a true sports related collectible though, can't see much value at all. The framing and writing gives the dollar bill its provenance as to being somewhat related to baseball history, but I've never heard of anyone who valued and collected currency as part of a sports bet. Now if you had the dollar bill signed by a player or some other significant individual from or otherwise related to that World Series, now you're talking a completely different story.

As others have stated, the value depends on what the dollar bill itself would be worth, plus maybe the value of the frame that someone may be interested in. Personally, unless there is some intrinsic, hidden extra value in the dollar bill itself as a currency collectible, I couldn't see paying more than say $30-$40 (if even that) for something like this. Others may have a higher value due to the oddity and/or baseball related connection, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more. I could see an antique store listing it at maybe $50-$100 as a retail price, but don't expect anyone will be interested at even the minimum bid/price being asked on Ebay.

And by the way, based on a quick search online, the value of the dollar bill itself looks to be not so high either. I know this is not the exact same bill as in the item being sold, but doubt the there's going to be a huge, expected price difference.

https://oldmoneyprices.com/1918-1-bl...round%20%24125.

+1 agree well said

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-02-2023, 06:32 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234839560272

curious. My friend says its ridiculous and overpriced
I believe he is a member of this forum why dont you ask him......

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 01-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Rob

How does one know it's over priced? Can you show us some comps?

Last edited by Fballguy; 01-02-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

NO, but think about it...in line with the other replies above.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmm! Really, asking a question like that for something that is pretty clearly a one-of-a-kind item? So, tell us all, how do you expect to find comps for something there likely isn't another one of?

I'm going out on a limb then and assuming your question was kind of a slightly sarcastic/joking comment directed at others who would even try to put a value on something like this. But because an item like this is so unique and will probably have no comps, I think that is exactly why the OP would pose such a question on this forum, looking for help and a possible answer. Of course, some cynics and naysayers could also assume that maybe the OP is party to the sale and coming on to a site like this to maybe drum up interest and bring it to people's attention, thereby helping to sell it for what is being asked for it.

I simply assumed the OP was honestly looking at the item and raised the value question, because they probably already looked and found there weren't any comps to look at, and simply used my personal thinking and logic to express what my own guess/feeling would be as to the item's value. i was merely trying to be helpful and respond to the OP's question. What are you doing?
Old 01-02-2023, 02:25 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm! Really, asking a question like that for something that is pretty clearly a one-of-a-kind item? So, tell us all, how do you expect to find comps for something there likely isn't another one of?

I'm going out on a limb then and assuming your question was kind of a slightly sarcastic/joking comment directed at others who would even try to put a value on something like this. But because an item like this is so unique and will probably have no comps, I think that is exactly why the OP would pose such a question on this forum, looking for help and a possible answer. Of course, some cynics and naysayers could also assume that maybe the OP is party to the sale and coming on to a site like this to maybe drum up interest and bring it to people's attention, thereby helping to sell it for what is being asked for it.

I simply assumed the OP was honestly looking at the item and raised the value question, because they probably already looked and found there weren't any comps to look at, and simply used my personal thinking and logic to express what my own guess/feeling would be as to the item's value. i was merely trying to be helpful and respond to the OP's question. What are you doing?
Ummm Bob...Too much caffeine today buddy?

I was replying to the OP who said his friend called it over priced. But thanks for reinforcing my point.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Ummm Bob...Too much caffeine today buddy?

I was replying to the OP who said his friend called it over priced. But thanks for reinforcing my point.
My apologies then for taking your post as it was written. I wasn't sure if you were trying to make fun of the situation or question, or actually serious about looking for comps. Asking about comps for something that is pretty much unique doesn't really make any sense.

All someone can tell from written exchanges on a forum such as this is what you can make of the words that are written. Use of emojis, punctuation, capitalization, and such, can help, but you still can't see a person's demeanor or body language, or hear the inflection in their voice, when just reading something online. So thank you for coming back and explaining what you actually meant by your post. But in my own defense, just look at the OP's response to your post before mine. It seems he was a little confused as to your question and meaning as well, and more or less was likely taking it the same way I did. Glad to hear you are of about the same opinion as pretty much the rest of us as to the lack of value this item likely has. Hope you had a wonderful New Years.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:15 PM
pete ullman

i would not buy this, personally. As has been stated the value is in the value of the dollar bill...the rest is a leap of sorts.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:16 PM

Assuming the bill is not glued down, it's $200-250 for it without the back story.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Assuming the bill is not glued down, it's $200-250 for it without the back story.
Scott,

Is that for just the bill itself? I am no currency expert, by any means, but in my very quick online search I came across the earlier link I found and posted with commentary that a bill from around then would be worth maybe $40 or so in used condition. I know the bill in question is from the NY Federal Reserve, is that, or some other factor, the reason this particular bill would/could be worth so much more than expected? Am curious to find out.

Regardless, is still way less than what was being asked on Ebay.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Scott

Thanks all.

I feel its an odd piece, and along with most of you I feel there is little value outside the bill.

Even if Cobb or someone bet the bill, the leap of faith would be huge. But, at least there would be more value
Old 01-02-2023, 05:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If the bet/money won was from the next World Series, 1919, then that would have been quite an interesting topic.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:31 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say that I'm sure that this item will find a buyer.
It only takes one...
Old 01-04-2023, 06:21 PM
Gary

It looks like the same piece sold for $195 2 years ago

https://www.ebth.com/items/12089440-...-baseball-note
Old 01-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Jim

Well thats a fairly reliable comp
Old 01-05-2023, 05:54 AM
qualitycards

Not sure of the value, but would make a neat display piece as is
Old 01-07-2023, 12:33 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

The seller is a great guy and a member on the forum. Why don’t you reach out to him and leave EBay / PayPal fees out of the equation to better work something out.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:56 PM
Scott Russell

Unless the two named parties were someone people care about today it's worth the collectible value of the dollar, to me anyway.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions