NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Brock

Default Really! Bat grading is stupid

This is what is wrong with this hobby. Here this bat sold couple months ago($1,700), it was graded a PSA 7 and was side written 4-21-32.

Now it shows up again as a PSA 8.5 and in the listing the side written is only shown as 4-21..

http://www.cleansweepauctions.com/it...tem=0000354108

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...-LOT31448.aspx
Old 05-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Well, I certainly would like to know how the same graders raised this bat 1.5 points! Anyone here feel like asking John?

Ken
Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

The numerical system is laughable to begin with. What more do you need than visible side-writing with his name and the date received? Subtracting points for a game used bat showing game use never made sense to me.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Its all BS.Just another way of graders making money. Will never have my bats graded
Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Matt

Interesting, I was expecting to see some restoration that may have raised the grade. Whether a 7 or 8.5, If you want a Lindstrom bat, isn't about the best you can get.. It was returned to the factory by him ( I assume it shows up in his bat orders, I didn't look).

Ok so the bat is beat to hell and ugly, but it is what it is.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 PM
N@te

Whoever won it from clean sweep got a pretty good deal. I'm def diggin the bat...

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM

The Lindstrom bat was originally offered by Art Jaffe of Left Field Collectibles. By originally, I mean I had discussed buying the bat from Art back in 2007. I still have the photos he sent me. The email is dated May 1, 2007.

Unfortunately I never put the funds together to buy it and someone else ended up getting it. In a strange twist of events, on the exact same day I found out I missed this early block letter Lindstrom I was offered a signature model version from the mid-30s. It is still in my collection to this day. Tough bat.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
The Lindstrom bat was originally offered by Art Jaffe of Left Field Collectibles. By originally, I mean I had discussed buying the bat from Art back in 2007. I still have the photos he sent me. The email is dated May 1, 2007.

Unfortunately I never put the funds together to buy it and someone else ended up getting it. In a strange twist of events, on the exact same day I found out I missed this early block letter Lindstrom I was offered a signature model version from the mid-30s. It is still in my collection to this day. Tough bat.
We're not questioning whether the bat is real or not. The matter is how can it jump 1.5 in grade. And also why leave out the whole sidewritten date in the auction listing(probably because they want to consider it a rookie era bat instead of a 32 example).
Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
We're not questioning whether the bat is real or not. The matter is how can it jump 1.5 in grade. And also why leave out the whole sidewritten date in the auction listing(probably because they want to consider it a rookie era bat instead of a 32 example).
Oh, my bad. Since you could have contacted either Grey Flannel or JT with this question in order to actually get an answer I assumed you had other motives. Especially since your thread title doesn't even mention the bat in question and instead appears to be a thinly veiled attempt to discredit JT and/or the grading process all in one fell swoop.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Brock

Quote:
Oh, my bad. Since you could have contacted either Grey Flannel or JT with this question in order to actually get an answer I assumed you had other motives. Especially since your thread title doesn't even mention the bat in question and instead appears to be a thinly veiled attempt to discredit JT and/or the grading process all in one fell swoop.
You're something else Tim. I love how you always defend the people who authenticate bats. I'm not discrediting JT or anything, simply posting how a bat jumps in grades. And I did message grey flannel and they said their get back to me next week after the holiday and I sent john a message yesterday for another question and heard nothing back.

Tim, I'm also curious what your thoughts were on the Black Betsy bat that sold in rea last month. The one that had no factors besides the color of the bat to joe jackson. Yet PSA considered it a game used joe jackson bat.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You're something else Tim. I love how you always defend the people who authenticate bats. I'm not discrediting JT or anything, simply posting how a bat jumps in grades. And I did message grey flannel and they said their get back to me next week after the holiday and I sent john a message yesterday for another question and heard nothing back.

Tim, I'm also curious what your thoughts were on the Black Betsy bat that sold in rea last month. The one that had no factors besides the color of the bat to joe jackson. Yet PSA considered it a game used joe jackson bat.
Where did I defend JT? Point that out to me please.

Added: And you say you aren't discrediting JT, but yet you felt it necessary to start a thread about it on GUU? Even though you have absolutely no REAL information to add to it?

Last edited by bat_master; 05-23-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 PM

Regarding the REA Jackson bat...did you not read the extensive release about that bat? I got an email all about it on April 21.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Brock

Quote:
Where did I defend JT? Point that out to me please.

Added: And you say you aren't discrediting JT, but yet you felt it necessary to start a thread about it on GUU? Even though you have absolutely no REAL information to add to it?
Becuse people on GUU actually have talked about bat grading before. So maybe some collectors would like to see how grades change. And the information I add is, the bat changed 1.5 grades in less than 6 months.

Last edited by yanks12025; 05-23-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Brock

Quote:
Regarding the REA Jackson bat...did you not read the extensive release about that bat? I got an email all about it on April 21.
I did read that. But it's still not enough proof/evidence that it's Joe jackson bat. Several players used black Betsy back then.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I did read that. But it's still not enough proof/evidence that it's Joe jackson bat. Several players used black Betsy back then.
When you say "Black Betsy" are you referring to the J13 model? I just want to be clear.

You had said that all it had was the same color. Are you now saying that it was both the same finish and model as Joe Jackson's preferred model, the J13?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Brock

Quote:
When you say "Black Betsy" are you referring to the J13 model? I just want to be clear.

You had said that all it had was the same color. Are you now saying that it was both the same finish and model as Joe Jackson's preferred model, the J13?
So you don't think it's possible that several players could order the same model? Specially considering we don't have factory records from that time. Really???? Hahahahaha

So I guess the blank barrel bat that I own that is 36 inches long, weight over 38oz, hickory with a large knob. So my bat must be a ruth gamer?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
So you don't think it's possible that several players could order the same model? Specially considering we don't have factory records from that time. Really???? Hahahahaha

So I guess the blank barrel bat that I own that is 36 inches long, weight over 38oz, hickory with a large knob. So my bat must be a ruth gamer?
Just because it has a large knob doesn't make it a Ruth model bat. You of all people should know that.

Regarding the Jackson bat, I'm simply going off of what you've said. You said it was only the 'color' that was the same. From what I've read, not only was the finish the same, but the model was Jackson's J13, and the length and weight were within his specs. Outside of that, I'm not the authenticator for PSA so again...why not pose the questions to JT himself?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Brock

Quote:
Just because it has a large knob doesn't make it a Ruth model bat. You of all people should know that.

Regarding the Jackson bat, I'm simply going off of what you've said. You said it was only the 'color' that was the same. From what I've read, not only was the finish the same, but the model was Jackson's J13, and the length and weight were within his specs. Outside of that, I'm not the authenticator for PSA so again...why not pose the questions to JT himself?
Because someone has already posed those questions to him(haul of same). Pretty sure the bat only selling for $55,000, proves many people didn't feel comfortable with it.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Because someone has already posed those questions to him(haul of same). Pretty sure the bat only selling for $55,000, proves many people didn't feel comfortable with it.
Yeah...ONLY $55,000. Clearly there are some issues.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Brock

Compared to others that sold for $500,000+, then yes $55,000 really ain't that much.

Last edited by yanks12025; 05-23-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Rob

I actually think the whole grading industry is something we could have done without.