NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Tweet Journalism

There are numerous ways to justify the internet that are positive.

1. Defrauding baseball card collectors

2. Facilitating one click purchasing of stuff you don't really want from Amazon

just to name a couple, but what really bothers me has nothing to do with the hobby.

The internet journalist

Click on a link and what do you get.

A very brief "article" (should be called an articlette)

Embedded in the articlette is invariably one, or frequently more than one, copied and pasted tweet, which is the basis if the whole link.

Either above or below the tweet the contents of the tweet is regurgitated word for word in the text of the articlette, making what looks like a very short articlette an even shorter articlette.

The articlette often adds exactly zero information that you didn't derive from the headline that caused you to open the link in the first place.

The articlette, no matter how short, usually includes at least one misspelled word or glaring grammatical error.

And then at the bottom there is a thumbnail photo of the dufus who wrote it with a paragraph containing information about which idiots hired him as a journalist to write the articlette.

And although dufus is spelled correctly in the preceding sentence, it was rejected by my spellcheck, that was no doubt created by another dufus.

.....and so it goes.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-10-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 AM
Dave

So and so said so and so on (insert social media platform here), is the bane of my IPhone News Feed.

Along with headlines such as "Internet reacts too........"

and

Such and such celebrity throws shade on such and such other celebrity.

I blame Buzzfeed, mostly.

Crappy thing is that Buzzfeed, for a time, actually had a decent news gathering organization, until they mostly abandoned it for gossipy crap, because that's where all the easy money is.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

The internet journalist

Click on a link and what do you get.

A very brief "article" (should be called an articlette)

Embedded in the articlette is invariably one, or frequently more than one, copied and pasted tweet, which is the basis if the whole link.

Either above or below the tweet the contents of the tweet is regurgitated word for word in the text of the articlette, making what looks like a very short articlette an even shorter articlette.

The articlette often adds exactly zero information that you didn't derive from the headline that caused you to open the link in the first place.

The articlette, no matter how short, usually includes at least one misspelled word or glaring grammatical error.

And then at the bottom there is a thumbnail photo of the dufus who wrote it with a paragraph containing information about which idiots hired him as a journalist to write the articlette.

And although dufus is spelled correctly in the preceding paragraph, it was rejected by my spellcheck, that was no doubt created by another dufus.

.....and so it goes.
A single sentence does not necessarily a paragraph make. I agree with the premise though I don't 'tweet', 'instagram' or participate in any of the other so-meds.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
A single sentence does not necessarily a paragraph make. I agree with the premise though I don't 'tweet', 'instagram' or participate in any of the other so-meds.
I agree and have changed the word paragraph to the word sentence in the preceding sentence, rather than be sentenced by the Net54 grammar police for a post that implicates grammatical errors in tweet journalism.

To be clear many of my posts are double-spaced for ease of reading and the double-spacing has nothing to do with grammatical construction of paragraphs.

A suspended sentence is therefore .............................

requested.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Anything you can do while you poop, besides poop, is not to be taken seriously. Here's a fun analogy puzzle. Find the best analogy:

Tweets/Journalism
___/___

My entry:

Tweet/Journalism
Pig Latin/Latin

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Anything you can do while you poop, besides poop, is not to be taken seriously. Here's a fun analogy puzzle. Find the best analogy:

Tweets/Journalism
___/___

My entry:

Tweet/Journalism
Pig Latin/Latin

Granted that pig Latin contains the same content (even though that content is not in Latin), tweet journalism merely requires copy & paste skills, therefore Pig Latin is far more complex, beyond the capability of the majority of tweet journalists. My puzzle answer would therefore be

fleeting unsubstantiated thought/cold, hard news???

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.