NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Default EBay strategy? Or, "why can't Johnny sell a card?"

So I am confused as to this sales model -- seller has x card on eBay for a set price/obo (and not a museum priced seller, either). Zero offers and 28 days later, the card is relisted for almost twice the first price. If it didn't sell at the lower price, why list it at a much higher price? Is there a legit strategy at work here?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
So I am confused as to this sales model -- seller has x card on eBay for a set price/obo (and not a museum priced seller, either). Zero offers and 28 days later, the card is relisted for almost twice the first price. If it didn't sell at the lower price, why list it at a much higher price? Is there a legit strategy at work here?
Yes. Some people always offer 50%. Now if that happens he will get full price.

You'd be surprised at how often raising the BIN price works.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Yes. Some people always offer 50%. Now if that happens he will get full price.

You'd be surprised at how often raising the BIN price works.
+1.

I've done that before (maybe not twice the price, but definitely higher). I've listed a card low and had no interest, then next month raise it and get offers. I think people like to feel like they're getting a deal by submitting an offer.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 10-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

Quote:
there are ebay seller who list their graded cards at 2.5 time the vcp avg --so when you offer HALF price you are over-paying by 25% (10 basis points)

I have seen hundreds of items get no bid at 100 and the relist as buyitnow for 125 then sell. I think it is more the NORM to raise or relist for same ---reductions being less frequent
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

You don't have to wait for me to raise my prices, just feel free to overpay if you want it.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Mike

Did this with a lawn mower once. Put it in my front lawn by the road for $ 10, nobody wanted it. Raised the price to $ 25 and it sold that day.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 PM

The lawnmower example makes more sense - at 10 it might be seen as inoperable by a passerby, but at 25 there might be an implication that it actually works. How that works with a 1930s card with paper loss though (the card here) escapes me.
Should've taken a marketing class at some point I guess.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:44 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Just as the mower sold so did a 1965 Mustang that I had in the late 70's. I had painted it, replaced bushing in the 4 speed shifter and listed it for $2500 . I received one call and they never showed up to see it. I told my buddy that got me into restoring Mustangs and he said I had it priced too low. I raised it to $3500, the phone rang off the hook and sold it to the first person to view it, for $3500.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

There is really no rhyme or reason to the ebay game in my opinion. With that being said, I agree with most posters here. Sometimes the lower you price it , the more unattractive the item becomes. The buyer does like to feel like they are getting a item of value.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=insidethewrapper;1711586]Did this with a lawn mower once. Put it in my front lawn by the road for $ 10, nobody wanted it. Raised the price to $ 25 and it sold that day.[/QUOTE}

A friend once told me a story that is a slight variation of this theme. I believe it was a set of tires that they had on the lawn with a free sign. They just sat there, no one wanted them. They finally decided to put a sign up for them for $25, and the tires were almost instantly stolen.

Brian
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Jason Greco

I've actually been doing a bit of tracking on this, and BO's regularly pull a higher price than the same card (grade/backing) as a card which is auctioned. Straight BIN also pulls a higher price, but I assume the seller is willing to sit and wait to get the higher price.

There are, of course, exceptions.
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Eric Perry

Fascinating glimpse into the quirks of human behavior...
Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Paul S

There's a famous story about a jewelry store that was having trouble selling a particular kind of jewelry (I think it was turquoise but could have it wrong). The owner was going on vacation and left a handwritten note for the store clerk to put the jewelry on sale at half the price. The store clerk misread the writing on the note and doubled the price of the jewelry. When the owner returned from vacation, all the jewelry had sold out.

This never happens to me, though

Last edited by pbspelly; 10-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Archive

[QUOTE=brianp-beme;1711704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Did this with a lawn mower once. Put it in my front lawn by the road for $ 10, nobody wanted it. Raised the price to $ 25 and it sold that day.[/QUOTE}

A friend once told me a story that is a slight variation of this theme. I believe it was a set of tires that they had on the lawn with a free sign. They just sat there, no one wanted them. They finally decided to put a sign up for them for $25, and the tires were almost instantly stolen.

Brian
Oh yes, this works well. People would rather steal from a stranger than accept a free gift.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
When I was in the auction business, more than once I forgot to take something off of my site which was for sale in the auction (of course the auction ruled)...then it would go for more in the auction than on my site. I have gotten emails asking if they could pay the price on my site AFTER the auction in which they won it ....Human nature is a funny thing. An auction format HAS to be cheaper than a straight saie, right?

Last edited by Leon; 10-22-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:25 PM

I like this one. It's been listed 4 times at $99.99 OBO with free shipping. Now it is $0.99 OBO with $99.99 shipping. SMH.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Banned

Maybe a seller will list an item they’re really not interested in selling. They list it because it’s popular and will bring more customers to their eBay store? So they list the item at what seems like a ridiculous price?

Not exactly what you’re talking about but I wonder if this is going on sometimes when I see overpriced auctions.