NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Dan Brown

Default Giants VS Cardinals

Who writes this stuff? Hollywood or Baseball Gods? Well done San Francisco!!

Last edited by deebro041; 10-22-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Dan Brown

delete
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Mikeknapp

Look at my nails, look at my beard, watch me play the Bongos on the other players heads, Oh please watch me dance, watch me make an ass of myself...If I have to watch Brian Wilson pander for more screen time I think I'll puke.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Dan Brown

Sorry I posted on the wrong forum!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Ken McMillan

Any day the Cards lose is a good day!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Look at my nails, look at my beard, watch me play the Bongos on the other players heads, Oh please watch me dance, watch me make an ass of myself...If I have to watch Brian Wilson pander for more screen time I think I'll puke.
Wasn't Brian Wilson the brains behind the Beach Boys before he blew his mind on LSD? Wait... maybe we are talking about the same person.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Alan U

Should be a good WS, hope the giants can hang with the tigers big bats.

Hunter Pence really needs to lose his beard
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM

congrats to the giants, hated to see my cards lose but they didnt deserve to win after laying down like it was over after game 4. Its like they thought the giants would quit.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Barry Sloate

What do you say about a team that faces six elimination games in the first two rounds and wins all of them? That's unprecedented....and I'm a lifelong Giants fan (since 1962) and I've never seen a group as clutch as these guys. The last three games against St. Louis weren't really even close.

Should be a great World Series.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Brock

I think giants beat tigers easily. Tigers could barely beat a yankee team that hit .188(talking about scores of games).

Last edited by yanks12025; 10-23-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
Should be a good WS, hope the giants can hang with the tigers big bats.

Hunter Pence really needs to lose his beard
Pence is not your prototypical ball player in all ways: swinging the bat, running, throwing. But he seems to be able to put it all together.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM

Why is Zito starting and not Bumgarner?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 AM

Too bad the Cardinals didn't win. It's bad enough that MLB expanded to 10 playoff teams. Just missed having the teams with the 11th and 12th best records play each other in the World Series. Looking forward to the 16 team playoff in the future...
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I think giants beat tigers easily. Tigers could barely beat a yankee team that hit .188(talking about scores of games).
Barely beat? Tigers swept the yanks....
Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Cain is a flat out machine...

Verlander has been fantastic this postseason, but he was pretty off in his previous two postseason attempts.. Lets see if he keeps it up. If he continues to be fantastic then I think Detroit gets it. They have a lot of power in the middle order..

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Barely beat? Tigers swept the yanks....
That's why I said score!!! Tigers beat us 6-4, 3-0(should have been 1-0 but ump blew a easy call) and 2-1 with final game being the only blow out. If the Yankee team even had hit alittle they would have easily taken the first three games. In game 1 they loaded the bases THREE times and didn't score once. Another team in that same spot would have scored runs and won that game. Game two they left more men on base and didn't get hits with runners in scoring position.

Game three Verlander had nothing(he even said it) and left pitches right over the plate, yet Yankee hitters did nothing but pop them up. When going good they normally kill the pitches he had thrown them.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
That's why I said score!!! Tigers beat us 6-4, 3-0(should have been 1-0 but ump blew a easy call) and 2-1 with final game being the only blow out. If the Yankee team even had hit alittle they would have easily taken the first three games. In game 1 they loaded the bases THREE times and didn't score once. Another team in that same spot would have scored runs and won that game. Game two they left more men on base and didn't get hits with runners in scoring position.

Game three Verlander had nothing(he even said it) and left pitches right over the plate, yet Yankee hitters did nothing but pop them up. When going good they normally kill the pitches he had thrown them.
Verlanders comment was made about the 9th and he let one hang and gave up a HR. Also, the Yankees starting pitching was fantastic even if the bats sucked. Cabrera and Fielder have had a sub-par post-season, but neither stay cold very long. The timing factor will be more of a hinderance for them, hopefully its a good series.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Verlanders comment was made about the 9th and he let one hang and gave up a HR. Also, the Yankees starting pitching was fantastic even if the bats sucked. Cabrera and Fielder have had a sub-par post-season, but neither stay cold very long. The timing factor will be more of a hinderance for them, hopefully its a good series.
Also, you certainly can't disparage the heart that the Giants showed during their series, but I don't think they would have scored nearly as many runs as they did if the Card's defense hadn't fallen apart (particularly in game 7).
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Verlander said at the end of the game he had nothing after the 4th inning and was just throwing balls in.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Dan Carson

Default Wild Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv View Post
Too bad the Cardinals didn't win. It's bad enough that MLB expanded to 10 playoff teams. Just missed having the teams with the 11th and 12th best records play each other in the World Series. Looking forward to the 16 team playoff in the future...
Seems to me the Cards were a wild card team the last two years?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Buying a team capable of winning a lot of games over a long season isn't enough to get through the playoffs, where it generally takes something more (heart, passion, whatever you want to call it). The Braves didn't have it during their run, and the Yankees don't have it now.

So say 'Hello' to the Tigers and Giants - the best playoff teams this year in their respective leagues. I doubt either of these teams could care less what any of us have to say about their 'poor' play, or the sub-par play of the other playoff teams they had to beat to get to the World Series.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Cain is a flat out machine...

Verlander has been fantastic this postseason, but he was pretty off in his previous two postseason attempts.. Lets see if he keeps it up. If he continues to be fantastic then I think Detroit gets it. They have a lot of power in the middle order..
Cain a flat out machine? Let's not get crazy. He had a good year, but he definitely overachieved. He slowed down as the year moved forward as was expected. Verlander is a machine. Watch both pitchers and you'll figure this out very quickly.

Cain pitched a paltry 5 2/3's innings with 4 k's in game 7...not great stats by any means. He's been a consistent pitcher for the past few years, but just emerged this year as the Giant's guy....He's good, but far from great.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM
D.B. Cooper

How did Cain overachieve? He's had an era under 2.90 and a whip under 1.09 for 3 out of the past 4 years. He has much better winning percentage this year for the simple reason that they're scoring more runs for him. Those first few post Bonds offensives were pretty anemic.

He also had 3 starts and pitched 20 and 1/3 innings during the 2010 playoffs without giving up a single earned run.

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks

Last edited by Anthony S.; 10-23-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM

I think the key to this Series, is which Lincecum shows up. The one from the last four years or the one from this year.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Why is Zito starting and not Bumgarner?

1) The Giants have won the last 13 games Zito started.
2) In 9 post season games he has an ERA of 2.96.
3) Zito is coming off one of the best games of his career and Bumgarner has stunk his last two playoff starts.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
How did Cain overachieve? He's had an era under 2.90 and a whip under 1.09 for 3 out of the past 4 years. He has much better winning percentage this year for the simple reason that they're scoring more runs for him. Those first few post Bonds offensives were pretty anemic.

He also had 3 starts and pitched 20 and 1/3 innings during the 2010 playoffs without giving up a single earned run.
Maybe it's just me, but I am unbiased when it comes to any player...I just don't see elite when I see Cain pitch.

He had his best overall year this year...therefore I believe he overachieved. Maybe he's going to be better from this year moving forward, but he was never great, but more of a good pitcher. You can say what you want about wins and losses and run support, but Felix never gets run support and he's considered elite. Until this year, no one would really think of comparing Cain with Felix...I still don't. Cain was more of a 6 inning, 5-7 strikeout kinda guy until this year. He has career numbers of 85-78 in the win loss column...run support or not, the Giants haven't been a bad team since he's been there. He's never deserved to be a #1 guy until this year....hence the overachieve label.

Edited to add: Anthony, I just noticed you're from San Francisco...your post makes a lot more sense now. And good luck to the Giants...should be a great series.

Last edited by freakhappy; 10-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Dan Brown

I like to see the results of players in the World Series who used to play in the opposing league. Fielder vs Scutaro!!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I think the key to this Series, is which Lincecum shows up. The one from the last four years or the one from this year.
I pull for him as he is a local guy. I watched him in high school and college. His 2012 numbers are a continuation of the struggles that began the last half of 2011.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I pull for him as he is a local guy. I watched him in high school and college. His 2012 numbers are a continuation of the struggles that began the last half of 2011.
Tim didn't struggle during the 2nd half of 2011. He had a 2.31 era after the all-star break last year. He struggled (big time) in August of 2010, but straightened things out in September and on into the post season that year.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 10-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Giants and Cain

I'm still drying off after last night! This has been by far the most resiliant team I've ever rooted for. To respond to other comments, people who've watched baseball in this timezone and in this town know Cain has been a rock ever since he came up at age 20. He suffered through 2 years of the worst run support in baseball.. stayed mentally tough, focused and never wavered. There are some guys who are far better than their stats show (Cain) and rise to the occasion at the right time, and some guys aided by great run support and the freedom of consistantly pitching from ahead, who aren't necessarily as good as their stats say. Cain is much more than a 6 inning guy. Until the latter part of this year, he and the rest of this staff had been consitantly going deep into games, and he's got a nice streak of 200+ inning years. The whole starting staff hit a bump in the road toward the end of the year and into this postseason, but I think their best performances are ahead. Either way, it's still fun to see them still fly under the national radar, winning games the right way and as a team. Star power doesn't win (Angels, Dodgers, Yanks, Marlins, others prove that). I'm psyched for a great series and can't wait to be at the yard to see Zito's 85 MPH guts and guile up against Verlander's 99 MPH gas. They may not get to Verlander, but as always with this team, no one will play scared or intimidated.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
Tim didn't struggle during the 2nd half of 2011. He had a 2.31 era after the all-star break last year. He struggled (big time) in August of 2010, but straightening things out in September and on into the post season that year.
He also came in 6th for the Cy Young Award last year. Every pitcher should struggle like that.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I am unbiased when it comes to any player...I just don't see elite when I see Cain pitch.

He had his best overall year this year...therefore I believe he overachieved. Maybe he's going to be better from this year moving forward, but he was never great, but more of a good pitcher. You can say what you want about wins and losses and run support, but Felix never gets run support and he's considered elite. Until this year, no one would really think of comparing Cain with Felix...I still don't. Cain was more of a 6 inning, 5-7 strikeout kinda guy until this year. He has career numbers of 85-78 in the win loss column...run support or not, the Giants haven't been a bad team since he's been there. He's never deserved to be a #1 guy until this year....hence the overachieve label.

Edited to add: Anthony, I just noticed you're from San Francisco...your post makes a lot more sense now. And good luck to the Giants...should be a great series.
The Giants haven't had a bad team since he's been there? He came up in 2005. His first four years the Giants were:

2005 75-87
2006 76-85
2007 71-91 last in the NL West
2008 70-92 last in the NL West

His record over those 4 years was 30-43. He was also ages 20-23 during those years.

Since then (starting in 2009) he's 55-35. Over the same time period Lincecum is 54-46.

The Giants have had the worst or close to the worst offense in each of these past 4 years. in 2011 Cain had 21 starts in which he allowed 2 runs or less. He only got 12 wins, because the Giants couldn't score (especially after Posey broke his ankle in early May).

Cain was the Giants #1 starter, statistically, in 2007, 2010, and 2012. During two of the three years he wasn't the Giants #1 starter, he was the Giants #2 starter, and the Giants #1 starter (Lincecum) won 2 Cy Young awards. One thing Cain has been over the past 4 years is extremely consistent. This year wasn't an aberration, and his stats bear that out.

Is he is good as Verlander or Hernandez? No. Is he a damn good pitcher who has been a damn good pitcher for quite a while, yes. And he'll take the ball 32-34 times a year, as he's done every year for 7 straight years, and you'll never find a dead hooker in the trunk of his car.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 10-23-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I'm still drying off after last night! This has been by far the most resiliant team I've ever rooted for. To respond to other comments, people who've watched baseball in this timezone and in this town know Cain has been a rock ever since he came up at age 20. He suffered through 2 years of the worst run support in baseball.. stayed mentally tough, focused and never wavered. There are some guys who are far better than their stats show (Cain) and rise to the occasion at the right time, and some guys aided by great run support and the freedom of consistantly pitching from ahead, who aren't necessarily as good as their stats say. Cain is much more than a 6 inning guy. Until the latter part of this year, he and the rest of this staff had been consitantly going deep into games, and he's got a nice streak of 200+ inning years. The whole starting staff hit a bump in the road toward the end of the year and into this postseason, but I think their best performances are ahead. Either way, it's still fun to see them still fly under the national radar, winning games the right way and as a team. Star power doesn't win (Angels, Dodgers, Yanks, Marlins, others prove that). I'm psyched for a great series and can't wait to be at the yard to see Zito's 85 MPH guts and guile up against Verlander's 99 MPH gas. They may not get to Verlander, but as always with this team, no one will play scared or intimidated.
Gotta love you 'frisco guys...God love ya!

Funny how you mention that star power doesn't win...but how many World Series do the star powered Yankees have? Sometimes being excited about your team making the World Series takes you out of reality. I'm excited for the Tigers and the Giants and it should make for a great series, but I think even the Giants are suprised they made it this far...did you see Pence's interview after the game? He was amazed at what happened...like most people are. I have a good feeling the Tigers aren't going to be so forgiving like the Red's and Cardinals were.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Cain was the Giants #1 starter, statistically, in 2007, 2010, and 2012. During two of the three years he wasn't the Giants #1 starter, he was the Giants #2 starter, and the Giants #1 starter (Lincecum) won 2 Cy Young awards. One thing Cain has been over the past 4 years is extremely consistent. This year wasn't an aberration, and his stats bear that out.

Is he is good as Verlander or Hernandez? No. Is he a damn good pitcher who has been a damn good pitcher for quite a while, yes. And he'll take the ball 32-34 times a year, as he's done every year for 7 straight years, and you'll never find a dead hooker in the trunk of his car.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Pence is not your prototypical ball player in all ways: swinging the bat, running, throwing. But he seems to be able to put it all together.
Don't get me wrong, I like Hunter Pence as a ballplayer, he just needs to lose his beard. He's been on my fantasy team for many years, those wild eyes when he's batting makes him fun to watch.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Mike C@.v3

Don't get me wrong, I know Cain has been consistent but other than the first half of this year, I don't see him being a dominating, great pitcher. He definitely came down the second half to his normal self.

Someone mentioned that he is more than a six inning pitcher and I agree that he has this year. Look at his last four playoff starts...dude can't make it past 6 innings. He's far from elite...

E.T.A: I'd take a dead hooker over Cain anyday...

Last edited by freakhappy; 10-23-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Someone mentioned that he is more than a six inning pitcher and I agree that he has this year. Look at his last four playoff starts...dude can't make it past 6 innings. He's far from elite...

Cain has averaged over 6 innings per start in each of his 7 full seasons as a starter and just short of 7 innings per starting each of the past 3. From about 2008 on Bochy began routinely letting Cain, Lincecum.. and into this year Bumgarner and Vogelsong go deep and work their way out of late inning (7th or 8th) jams. As the season wore on, and the staff's performance hit a rut in late summer, Bochy's deleloped a much quicker hook. That's what you saw last night. Cain would've and very well could've finished that inning, and I have no doubt could've thrown 130 pitches as he's done many times before. He can't force his manager to keep him in the game though. Don't forget he's won a game 5 and a game 7 so far this postseason.. and had a 0.00 ERA in 21 postseason innings in 2010.

To your point about "star power".. you'd can't disagree that the Paul O'Neill, Scott Brossius, Jimmy Leyritz (and homegrown stars Jeter, Riveria, Posada) Yankees did a hell of a lot better than the trade/free agent All Star teams they assembled starting around 2002, 2003, 2004, and on... adding the Sheffields, Texieras and A-Rods haven't really paid off as hoped. I'm sure they'll enjoy eating $20 million of A-Rods contract while he plays for someone else next year.. or next FIVE YEARS! Definitely seems worth having that star power to me?!? Mets have had a lot of stars over the past 20 years also.. how many championships did they win with Mo Vaughn though? I'll take the Giants' 2010 and 2012 cast of characters over those stiffs any day.

This isn't unknowing "Frisco" fans getting over excited. I played baseball my entire life, I've watched baseball my entire life, had season tickets the better part of a decade living about 3 blocks from the ballpark, and I think I know the game pretty well. My excitemet for this team is well justified and I'm fully on board because they can win in a variety of ways with a variety of characters and all the while making due with the fewest homeruns in the league. Give me clean fielding, successful surprise bunts (see Zito), butcher plays, timely gap to gap hitting, and a solid starting staff and bullpen over a power dependent lineup with 3-4 modern day Rob Deers that hit .220 with 30 bombs to a short porch in right (please set Curtis Granderson free). This SF team's got incredible heart (like St Louis last year) and kept playing when down 0-2 and 1-3 in their two series rather than laying down, and that's why they're playing Wednesday.

Last edited by itjclarke; 10-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Giants are blessed with five really good starting pitchers- Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Zito, and Lincecum- all of whom are capable of big games but also some poor ones. Lincecum is the biggest question mark- dreadful first half of the season, greatly improved second half, some really fine middle relief in the post season, one pretty bad start- so he might be best used in key situations in a relief role. He seems to excel throwing 2-3 innings in middle relief, and they already have four starters.

I think Giants are in the catbird seat. Expect them to lose three of the first four, then win the last three for the championship.

Last edited by barrysloate; 10-24-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Cain has averaged over 6 innings per start in each of his 7 full seasons as a starter and just short of 7 innings per starting each of the past 3. From about 2008 on Bochy began routinely letting Cain, Lincecum.. and into this year Bumgarner and Vogelsong go deep and work their way out of late inning (7th or 8th) jams. As the season wore on, and the staff's performance hit a rut in late summer, Bochy's deleloped a much quicker hook. That's what you saw last night. Cain would've and very well could've finished that inning, and I have no doubt could've thrown 130 pitches as he's done many times before. He can't force his manager to keep him in the game though. Don't forget he's won a game 5 and a game 7 so far this postseason.. and had a 0.00 ERA in 21 postseason innings in 2010.

To your point about "star power".. you'd can't disagree that the Paul O'Neill, Scott Brossius, Jimmy Leyritz (and homegrown stars Jeter, Riveria, Posada) Yankees did a hell of a lot better than the trade/free agent All Star teams they assembled starting around 2002, 2003, 2004, and on... adding the Sheffields, Texieras and A-Rods haven't really paid off as hoped. I'm sure they'll enjoy eating $20 million of A-Rods contract while he plays for someone else next year.. or next FIVE YEARS! Definitely seems worth having that star power to me?!? Mets have had a lot of stars over the past 20 years also.. how many championships did they win with Mo Vaughn though? I'll take the Giants' 2010 and 2012 cast of characters over those stiffs any day.

This isn't unknowing "Frisco" fans getting over excited. I played baseball my entire life, I've watched baseball my entire life, had season tickets the better part of a decade living about 3 blocks from the ballpark, and I think I know the game pretty well. My excitemet for this team is well justified and I'm fully on board because they can win in a variety of ways with a variety of characters and all the while making due with the fewest homeruns in the league. Give me clean fielding, successful surprise bunts (see Zito), butcher plays, timely gap to gap hitting, and a solid starting staff and bullpen over a power dependent lineup with 3-4 modern day Rob Deers that hit .220 with 30 bombs to a short porch in right (please set Curtis Granderson free). This SF team's got incredible heart (like St Louis last year) and kept playing when down 0-2 and 1-3 in their two series rather than laying down, and that's why they're playing Wednesday.
Comparing the modern day 'frisco to the modern day Yankees is a joke...so we won't go there. I love the Giants this year and the way they have played, but like Anthony posted earlier, the Giants haven't had much to cheer about in recent years except their WS year. Barry's right, they have good pitching...deep pitching which I believe is key in baseball. Just hard to win without it. Their pitching has been great in the playoffs. We'll see how they matchup vs. one of the best offenses in the league.

Mentioning Zito in a sentence when describing good pitchers is a joke...a real funny joke. He's bad. Sure he's had a few good starts this postseason, but I'd be real worried on what's going to happen tonight...the REAL Zito will most likely show up.

Do you really think A-rod's contract will affect the Yankees that much? They will simply reload like they always do and be back next year. For knowing baseball you sure seem one-sided in your thinking.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know Cain has been consistent but other than the first half of this year, I don't see him being a dominating, great pitcher. He definitely came down the second half to his normal self.

Oh c'mon, ya he has been shaky this postseason but Cain is elite. IDK how you can possibly disagree with that. And 2nd half - in his last ten starts, only gave up over 2 runs once.. Not sure what you are seeing. Cain is money.

Who do you see as elite then right now?! Verlander? M. Price? Dead hookers?

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums

Last edited by sportscardpete; 10-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Comparing the modern day 'frisco to the modern day Yankees is a joke...so we won't go there. I love the Giants this year and the way they have played, but like Anthony posted earlier, the Giants haven't had much to cheer about in recent years except their WS year. Barry's right, they have good pitching...deep pitching which I believe is key in baseball. Just hard to win without it. Their pitching has been great in the playoffs. We'll see how they matchup vs. one of the best offenses in the league.
I didn't say we haven't had much to cheer about in recent years, I merely pointed out that we had a rough spell from 2005 to 2008. We've made the World Series 3 times in the past 11 years, and won at least 90 games 7 times since 2000 (tied for most in the NL along with the Braves and Cardinals), so we're doing something right.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 10-24-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Barry Sloate

No way I'm giving up on Zito just yet. He won 15 games this year, had a great outing against St. Louis....is it asking too much for him to have a couple of quality starts against Detroit?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
No way I'm giving up on Zito just yet. He won 15 games this year, had a great outing against St. Louis....is it asking too much for him to have a couple of quality starts against Detroit?
+1, I'll tell you what, if the Giants find a way to win game one and get Verlander out of the way for a while, Detroit's in trouble.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Mentioning Zito in a sentence when describing good pitchers is a joke...a real funny joke. He's bad. Sure he's had a few good starts this postseason, but I'd be real worried on what's going to happen tonight...the REAL Zito will most likely show up.

Do you really think A-rod's contract will affect the Yankees that much? They will simply reload like they always do and be back next year. For knowing baseball you sure seem one-sided in your thinking.
Huh? I never said that, nor did I say half the things you seem to be responding to. I said I can't wait to see Zito throwing his 85 MPH junk vs a guy who blows 99 MPH gas. Contrasting styles in any sport are fun to watch. Not sure where "one sided" comes from. I like my team, but I've watched every WS since I could turn on a TV, regardless of who's playing. That the Yanks are not affected by ARod's deal is a joke and why a lot of people hate them. I myself never hated them and actually rooted for them in several of their WS matchups since '96. I like them a little less now because of you.. But I'll get over it. I'm tiring of typing and reading.. I'm going to the ballpark now. Goodbye.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Huh? I never said that, nor did I say half the things you seem to be responding to. I said I can't wait to see Zito throwing his 85 MPH junk vs a guy who blows 99 MPH gas. Contrasting styles in any sport are fun to watch. Not sure where "one sided" comes from. I like my team, but I've watched every WS since I could turn on a TV, regardless of who's playing. That the Yanks are not affected by ARod's deal is a joke and why a lot of people hate them. I myself never hated them and actually rooted for them in several of their WS matchups since '96. I like them a little less now because of you.. But I'll get over it. I'm tiring of typing and reading.. I'm going to the ballpark now. Goodbye.
Take it easy, Ian. I'm not hating on your Giants, just stating my opinion mixed in with some facts. And as for you not liking the Yankees just because I respond on a thread just says a lot about you...damn sensitive people!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
One can hope, Barry. He's gonna have to hope Verlander comes down with a virus to win this one.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Barry Sloate

Nice HR by Sandoval on a tough pitch.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Brock

Go giants. lol
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Frank Wakefield

Sweet home run for a 4-0 lead..... Verlander is hittable.

I've been a Cardinal fan since seeing Mr. Musial play in 1963. But with the Cards out, I'm now an NL fan for the rest of the Series. Besides, the Cards' fine win last year was good enough to last me for a few years.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Mike C@.v3

The Tigers and Verlander just got the PANDA VIRUS!