NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2017, 06:22 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Need advice re: consign original art for popular baseball comic strip

One of my best friends, Mike Witte, an artist, co-created daily "Scroogy" comic strip with Tug McGraw for two years in mid-'70s, which was syndicated to over 50 top papers in U.S. The strip was collected in two popular books at the time. Mike went on to be a top illustrator for Vanity Fair, The New Yorker etc. (he's not really famous, however) and drew and appeared on air in recent World Series with his illustrations based on games, also has done portraits of stars for MLB and some at Hall Of Fame. He has all 600 of his original "Scroogy" panels, which are a good size (something like 8 x 16) and now wants to consign at least some of them, signed originals.

I have no idea what to tell him about best way to consign, whether as a few singles to judge interest, or in a group of 10 or 20 or 50 or for that matter the complete run....Also, what would possible bidding interest and value be? Here's one panel and one of the two books. Thanks for any tips.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Dave_Berg

I guess I would reach out to the comic/ comic art personnel at Heritage. I'm sure
They would be very helpful.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Pm sent
Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I guess I would reach out to the comic/ comic art personnel at Heritage. I'm sure
They would be very helpful.
+1 that was my first thought

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 11-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Greg Mitchell

So is consensus that this is not really a "baseball card/memorabilia" auction house type thing but more of a "comic" thing? Would not do well in the mainly baseball universe? Or what?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's cross genre-- fits into two areas. You just have to figure out if it will sell better in a sports memorabilia or comic auction. Heritage does both, so ask what they think.

Last edited by drcy; 11-29-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Paul

One thing to consider would be how Charlie Brown baseball strips do and where they are sold.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Original Peanuts art sells VERY well, but Peanuts is like the Babe Ruth or Elvis of cartoon art. Though, for this thread, a Peanuts with baseball content sells well in either sports or comic strip auctions.

Last edited by drcy; 11-29-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
One thing to consider would be how Charlie Brown baseball strips do and where they are sold.
And then realize if "Peanuts" is the Major Leagues, "Scroogie" is A ball.

Don't get me wrong it's cool, and being syndicated in 50 papers is more impressive than anything I've done, but 50 papers is nothing, especially in the 1970's, and I would say if you took a poll less than half the members here have heard of it. I haven't and I'm the perfect age and geographic location. If THIS group isn't familiar with it I don't like your chances with the general public, or even sports collectible enthusiasts.

I'd guess he'd do very well to get $100 per panel But hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something. The other problem is 600 panels at one time will depress them a LOT. Supply will far outstrip demand so even my $100 per would be very optimistic if he were to dump them all at once.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Like several other members here, I collect a wide array of items including art, comics and cards. I am familiar with Scroogie but doesn't necessarily warrant a place on any of my walls. You can always test the waters with the largest auction of all and try a few on ebay. Patience will payoff better than an all at once auction. I'd list a few at a time and maybe even consign them. My guess is 50-60 per panel. As mentioned above - I could be off so it's just a guess. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I've never heard of Scroogie before and at 38, the biggest thing I know about Tug McGraw is that he illegitimately fathered Tim McGraw the country singer (who wrote about him in "Live Like You Were Dying"). But I'll throw in some ideas:
1) Panels that depict teams or players should be sold individually or in small lots focusing on those teams/players. May not be applicable if none of the strips ever mentioned MLB.
2) Don't flood the market. Release slowly over years. Max lot size of 10.
3) Heritage or REA or Hake's Americana?
4) Trial balloon on eBay might be useful, but what if the first 5 you try to sell that way flop? Then selling at an auctionhouse will be even worse. If first option to get them is through auctionhouse and no realized eBay sales, flippers might battle for them.
5) Any auto'd by Tug? Those might sell at a premium.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 11-29-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I've never heard of Scroogie before and at 38, the biggest thing I know about Tug McGraw is that he illegitimately fathered Tim McGraw the country singer (who wrote about him in "Live Like You Were Dying"). But I'll throw in some ideas:
1) Panels that depict teams or players should be sold individually or in small lots focusing on those teams/players. May not be applicable if none of the strips ever mentioned MLB.
2) Don't flood the market. Release slowly over years. Max lot size of 10.
3) Heritage or REA or Hake's Americana?
4) Trial balloon on eBay might be useful, but what if the first 5 you try to sell that way flop? Then selling at an auctionhouse will be even worse. If first option to get them is through auctionhouse and no realized eBay sales, flippers might battle for them.
5) Any auto'd by Tug? Those might sell at a premium.
Those are good suggestions......Thanks for the assist.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:51 AM

I looked up Tug Mcgraw in Wikipedia and it mentions Scroogie, and indicates that actual teams and players were used in the strips, so the suggestion by Swarmee about grouping in that fashion seems like a good option.

Brian