NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 AM
C@rl P@rk

Default Anyone ever have PSA damage a card on review?

I recently submitted a pretty valuable card to PSA for review/reholder and it came back last night with clear damage on the card that was not there before. They slabbed it with the same grade but anyone looking at the card now could tell it never would've received that grade to begin with. I am really upset about this - I emailed PSA and cc'd Joe Orlando within minutes of opening the package. As I await my reply and stew about it, was curious if this ever happened to anyone else? I did see a post from a few years ago where the experience the person had wasn't great. Just curious if anyone else has gone through this, and how their experience went? It's a hot card right now and can't easily replace it at my budget so I'm hoping things work out.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Dave_Berg

Ouch, what a shame! Potential damage to a beautiful card is a possibility every time a card is handled , let alone cracked from a slab. Because of that, it's a risk I have yet to take. Contacting Joe seems the way to go. Please keep the thread up to date. Any pics of before n after?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 AM
C@rl P@rk

Thanks, Dave. I do have before and after pictures, which I don't want to post yet until things have run their course with PSA, but if you're interested, I can show you via email or PM. I'll definitely keep the board informed. I am assuming the lack of response so far speaks to the rare nature of this sort of thing happening, but this hurts to experience!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Pete Sycks

I once went for a cross over from SGC that didn't cross and when I got it back the case was half open and the card was sliding around in the case. I called up PSA and they paid for me to reslab it with SGC. It was a hassle. Luckily the card wasn't damaged

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 06-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Robert Williams

Matt Miller had them damage a VERY high grade 1960 Topps Hank Aaron during a review. When he confronted them about it, they made him whole, but they banned him from their message board and blocked him from future submissions. I'm not sure if he is a member here still or not, but you should ask him about it sometime.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 06-09-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:05 PM

That's the one I remember, too, Bob. Wonder whatever happened to Matt -- he was a cool dude, and had a really nice collection.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:20 PM
C@rl P@rk

Right on - that's the thread I read last night after I reached out to PSA. That was kind of a shocking read, but I wonder if any of the extra vitriol that Matt experienced had anything to do with his previously excellent relationship with Joe Orlando. I am hoping to be made whole somehow - what the definition of that is, I am unsure of, but my card is selling for twice what I paid for it a few years ago. There's no SMR as far as I can tell on this card either (at least not published), but those are often not reflective of the marketplace. I really just want my card back the way it was, but that's spilt milk and no point in dwelling on that aspect.

Anyway- still haven't heard anything from PSA...still stewing..
Old 06-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I had a '15 CJ Hofer with a case that was cracked. Sent it in for reholdering and in doing so they bent it. It was downgraded to a 3 from a 5, and they said since it was in a cracked holder it wasn't their fault.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Daryl

Default PSA Damage

I had a card damaged by PSA during grading, lucky for me it was a T206 common Knight portrait they contacted me and gave me the value that was listed in their price guide for a PSA 4 which I thought was fair also returned the card which had a corner bent over that was not there when submitted. I believe that was back in 2013.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Larry

Had a '70 Topps Reggie Jackson in NrMt-Mt graded a "5" because of a ding in a corner that it did not have when submitted. I just chalked it up to experience, and basically ceased submitting raw cards, choosing instead to buy the cards I wanted already graded.

Interesting post,

Larry
Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

This got me thinking, recently I sent in one of those low pop cards, thinking it had a shot at a 5, came back a three! Look at the lower left!

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Before

After

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Dan Bl@u

I had PSA damage a corner also...the same lower-left corner, actually. Sent it in raw, hoping for a 5.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

same sub, lower left again! I thought this card was a 6!

[IMG][/IMG]

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 06-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Dan Bl@u

Maybe that's why they put the raised "PSA" logo right over the bottom corners on the front and back - so it obscures the damage!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:39 AM
C@rl P@rk

FWIW, my damage is on the lower left corner also! Hmmm. EDIT: Though my damage on the lower left is on a horizontal card, so maybe not quite the same thing. Still...Hmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by KingFisk; 06-10-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: edit to explain card orientation
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Never got a final update. What happen? What was the result?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:12 PM
C@rl P@rk

Oh, here is the whole sordid tale.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1567782

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by KingFisk; 08-12-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I sent in a possibly pretty expensive card to be graded and it can back a 9 10s were being around 1700 to 2000. The card had a maroon piece of cloth in there and a little piece of plastic in the case sealed in with it. I contacted PSA explained and sent pics in. They told me to send it back for a reslab.

They send it back with the junk still in there!!! I said what just happened ? I paid for shipping and insurance again! And you didn’t reslab my card!
They said they reviewed the grade. And the feel it’s still a 9 and sent it back. They were only reviewing to see if the plastic in the case caused any damage to the surface of the card. How can you tell if it damaged the card or not if you didn’t open it?

By the way they have a lot of tens that look way worst then the 9 I won. Maybe I could put a purple sticker over the plastic in the case.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:12 PM
je.sse @rnot

It's never happened to me but I talked to a dealer at a show who submitted a bunch of 9s hoping for a bump. One came back in a 2 or 3 holder. Presumably it was cracked out because it was going to bump to a 10. They did make up the difference in value between the 9 and it's new holder.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 08-12-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 PM
D@n Pl@th

I just had a 76T Hank Aaron PSA 9 damaged during a re-holder. They made it right but it took more work than it should have to get it taken care of.

After that I submitted a high dollar SGC 7.5 for crossover with PSA min grade of 7. It should have crossed easily but didn’t. Besides the litany of other reasons that people speculate as to why PSA is tough on crossovers I wonder if the potential for damage is another. Downside to not crossing is making one (small) customer mad. Cross it and damage it in the process and you’ve got a big insurance claim.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:51 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Yes twice. On a 1960 Topps Mantle Nrmt-Mt Scratched the card looks like a thumb/finger nail, front center under center of the card put in 7 holder. Ugh was so upset.

62 Topps Mantle PSA 7 on a reholder dinged the top left corner. They put back in a 7 holder but the corner was now white on the wood border. Disgusted could'nt have in collection so sold.

Accepted no responsibility:-( Zero Accoutability Par For the Course. I get it it's a money making volume machine where customer service means very little to their bottom line. It's very scary for me to send them high end cards again.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-13-2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Many years I dropped a bunch of nice cards off at the old SGC headquarters in NJ. Included was a nice, clean OJ Duffy, which I had hopes for a decent grade. When I returned in a week later to pick them up, imagine my horror when I viewed my injured Duffy now with a severely bent left corners sitting in in a good/2 holder. The best SGC offered was some free grading when I really wanted some cash compensation. Still leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM
C@rl P@rk

The revival of this old thread is making me realize it's more common than I even thought at the time. And common thread still seems to be that the graders won't ever admit culpability outside of the compensation given. That's still the part that infuriated me the most.