NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

Default Wagner photo authentication

Came across this and don't see any markings to indicate when this was taken. It looks old but wanted to get other people's opinions on it

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I agree, it looks "old."

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-26-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Banned

If somebody offered this to you for $100 would you buy it
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

How big is it? What type of photo paper? Any story behind it, where it came from, who is selling it, etc? Something seems very familiar about the lettering of the writing on the back, but I'm not sure if that is a real concern or just paranoia that has my "spidey sense" tingling.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Joey, not based on the scan you are showing us, unless it's worth $100 to hang on your wall as a piece of art.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF1981 View Post
If somebody offered this to you for $100 would you buy it

I would counter with a lower amount. To me it's not worth $100 but what matters is what it's worth to you. Good luck either way.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:52 PM

No way that's a first generation photo. It might still be "old" but it looks 1930's-1950's old from the scan and those big white borders. If its worth $100 to you, go for it, but I doubt you turn a profit when it comes time to sell at that level.

Rhys
Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 AM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

its all WRONG!!

Albert
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I agree with the others, it's possible it's old but it doesn't look original. Not saying it isn't, that it looks different. A quick check with a black light would identify if it's a modern reprint. Thickness of the paper would also be indicative, as early 1900s photo paper is very thin, while 1950s and later (for examples) would be much thicker. 1800s albumen prints are identified as period in part because they are on super thin paper that isn't around anymore. That's why albumen prints were mounted to cardboard-- the paper is so thin and delicate it needs backing to survive. Very early 1900s standard photo paper is similarly thin, even when not mounted.

To me, the grey image versus the sepia borders comes across as odd. Also, I'm not sure of the date of the image, but photos from before 1910 rarely had white borders. For whatever reason, white borders seem to be a post 19-teens thing. If you look at the Pre-1910 George Grantham Bain photos, you will notice none of them have white borders-- aka, they're 'full bleed' (image to the edges).

The other thing with photos is you will occasionally come across an odd photo that is original. Anyone who comes across his first tintype will say, "What the heck is this thing?" Someone emailed me about black borders on a photo and wondered if that meant it was a later reprint. I said, while borders are usually white, they were sometimes black on originals. Vintage photos can have black borders instead of white. It's just that black borders stand out as odd as they're uncommon. Different can be an indication of it being a modern reprint or fake, but different can sometimes merely mean its different.

For a photo like that, in person examination is required to give a final 100% opinion (you can't apply a black light or microscope to a digital image of a photo posted on a chatboard-- or, rather, you can but it won't help), but it does have a few odd qualities about it strongly suggesting it may be a later second generation photo. And, if it is second generation, you definitely need in person examination to determine if it's a new old reprint. Even if it a a reprint, the age still effects value. As age is so important to many collectors, a 1930s reprint will be worth more than a 1980s reprint-- and, in fact, a 1930s reprint may have a reasonable value because it's from the 1930s. Technically speaking, the images on the N172 Old Judges are second generation, it's just they are vintage 1880s second generation photos (and baseball cards, which of course boosts the value), and obviously Old Judges have lots of value on the market. Age in and of itself heavily contributes to value.

But, to me, if it is a reprint it isn't worth $100, unless perhaps it is a really old reprint, say from the 1920s or 1930s. I'm not an appraiser, so that's strictly my personal opinion on value.

Last edited by drcy; 03-29-2014 at 12:35 PM.