NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Dan B

Default Cabinet Card Photo

http://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lo...x6_B7E46D18E9/

The link above is for a Cabinet Card going up for auction this week. The listing list the cabinet photo as being 1880's. I do not think this correct. I am not interested in the auction but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Does anyone have a clue on the team that could be represented? The "A" is an exact match to the Boston American's "A" on their jerseys from 1902. But without the "B" I do not think that is the correct team.

I checked with Craig Brown from the Threads of our Game website and he was stumped.

Interested to see if anyone here might have a clue.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Looks to be somewhere in the 1900-1910 time frame to me.

Possibly a minor league team in the New England area? The Taunton/Attleboro Angels were in the Atlantic Association in 1908. Possibly a college or semi pro team?

Tom C
Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 PM

The type of cabinet card nor the uniform are from the 1880’s. It’s an early 1900’s photo.

Rob M
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Some info on the photographer.
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thre...urnames.bellin

From a few other sources The address shown may have started around 1897, even though he was operating at other addresses in the 1880's.

The "A" to me isn't quite right, the left bottom curl on the Red Sox uniforms looks a bit thinner than on this one. The lace up collar lasted in Boston through 1909, so maybe later years had slightly different letters.(Photo is in the BPL)

The BA lasted through 1911 according to this. http://joyofsox.blogspot.com/2008/12...forms-and.html

Maybe a handed down 1910 or 1911 uniform?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Dan Bretta

Amherst College player?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Dan B

Default Not Amherst

I found there yearbooks on line and checked from 1882 through 1910. The Amherst "A" is different then the photo.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

It could be Attleboro, MA. Attleboro, the only Mass. town officially spelled 'boro' rather than 'borough' abuts the Mass/RI border and is a short hop from Providence, even back then. It could also possibly be Acushnet which is in Mass. and about 25 miles southeast of Providence. I would not guess Acushnet as there were two major cities, New Bedford and Fall River between it and Providence and they each had photo studios going back to the Civil War.

Amherst would not even be a consideration at it is over 100 miles away in Central Mass. and there are several cities and towns in that area that had photographers - Northampton, Chicopee, Holyoke and Springfield

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
It could be Attleboro, MA. Attleboro, the only Mass. town officially spelled 'boro' rather than 'borough' abuts the Mass/RI border and is a short hop from Providence, even back then. It could also possibly be Acushnet which is in Mass. and about 25 miles southeast of Providence. I would not guess Acushnet as there were two major cities, New Bedford and Fall River between it and Providence and they each had photo studios going back to the Civil War.

Amherst would not even be a consideration at it is over 100 miles away in Central Mass. and there are several cities and towns in that area that had photographers - Northampton, Chicopee, Holyoke and Springfield
There was an Attleboro Angels minor league team that played for just one season in 1908.

Tom C
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
There was an Attleboro Angels minor league team that played for just one season in 1908.

Tom C
I saw you mention that earlier. It would appear to make sense that it could be Attleboro, even possibly a high school player. Being originally from Mass. I though it would make sense to consider the towns in Mass. near Providence that begin with 'A' as there are none in RI. In RI there is an Albion which is a village of Lincoln, but probably not big enough for a team.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”