NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Likewise... I've sold about 45 - 50 autographed pieces on ebay. Most without a Cert or LOA of any kind. Have never had a return or any issues with ebay.

Last edited by perezfan; 10-31-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:32 PM

I've sold a number of autographs without COAs on eBay (I've also sold with COAs) and have never had any returned or rejected. Though I usually get my autographs from reliable sources (ala Mike Gutierrez Auctions, SCGaynor bulk lots), state that provenance and have had a good enough feedback to back that up. Again, with big clear images so the potential bidders can themselves judge.

Last edited by drc; 10-31-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Richard Simon

I am interested in the Colossal prices realized list. Should be a good read.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-06-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I just went and looked at it again. It's hilarious.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Well, they are just trying to keep it affordable for the average Joe. That's why they don't bother with any of those over-rated services that the big auction houses use... they just drive up prices beyond the means of the average collector.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Mike

Who is/are the name/s behind this auction group ? The items look like a joke, but it isn't funny.

COLOSSAL AUCTIONS
AuctionZip Auctioneer ID # 27123
COLOSSAL AUCTIONS
4396 DIXIE HIGHWAY
WATERFORD, MI 48329

Phone: 248-461-6170
Email: COLOSSALAUCTIONS@GMAIL.COM
Web:

[Add this auctioneer to your favorites.]

35 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS MICHIGAN'S PREMIERE SPORTS CARD AND COLLECTIBLES DEALER. 3 TIME SPONSOR OF THE NATIONAL SPORTS COLLECTORS CONVENTION. PROMOTER OF OVER 300 SPORTS CARD AND COLLECTIBLES SHOWS.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there is another related point that is important, and that anything that gets a psa or jsa cert cannot be booted off of ebay, even if it is obviously fake. And that is just as concerning as anything else.

I have seen both a jsa and psa certed 8 x 10 signed joe louis photograph, (400 dollar plus items), both totally bogus, that wouldnt get taken off of ebay because they have a coa from an ebay pre-approved authenticator. i could show them my joe louis signature study all day long and go point by point and ebay isn't going to do anything.

that's a big problem too. so even more problematic than items requiring jsa or psa to sell on ebay are items that are jsa or psa but fake but can't be taken off ebay. ebay is a terribly flawed system.
that is disgusting and most likely happening more than anyone would like to admit with many other items at these 2 respected companies.

They really need to go back and correct many of the mistakes past and present when they blatently know they have messed up. Infact all authenticators should practice this policy, but sadly no one does....
Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Case in point.

http://www.fighttoys.com/Firpononauthentic.htm

If it ever goes to ebay, good luck getting it off. And I heard but can't confirm that all the authenticators at JSA look at each item and they all have to pass it for it to pass. What is going on? When you click on the link, the firpo on the bottom left (circa 1958) is one i obtained myself from a friend who lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina, so it's directly from Firpo's stomping grounds. Show us your exemplars you used to authenticate this item, Mr. Spence. I want to see your Firpo signatures. Please discontinue boxing.

When I first saw this Firpo, I figured it had to be an April Fools joke, or a Halloween prank. But it has a valid JSA cert, which is equivalent to getting a passport and visa, ready to travel the world.

It's insulting to people who study boxing signatures and it would look the same to baseball collectors as calling the following Babe Ruth "authentic." When i see this Firpo, that's what I see, the boxing equivalent to this Ruth ball. Why do they bother with boxing?

I don't know. They don't seem to have the phone number of someone who can figure out this Luis Firpo, which ends up going to auction. And they aren't autographs on the fence in my opinion, not questionables that could go either way. They are obviously no good, but how can you get this through to Spence so he can understand the gravity and width, depth, and breadth of the situation?

Now if Morales name were in place of Spence, all the guys would pile on and say "yeah, get him!" (That's fine, I don't have a problem with that), but evidently JSA is above reproach. The third rail of autograph authentication? Why is it so sacrosanct to ignore the criticism and NOT hold these guys feet to the fire and demand explanations when they authenticate like this, and instead just make excuses for them? (My favorite is that "hey they just make a few mistakes like anybody else. They authenticate a lot of autographs. If you only knew how many autographs they cert.") Maybe they should do a little less then.

That's attitude seems fine if you don't collect boxing, but if they start doing this to YOUR favorite sport, then you might think different.

They don't even make excuses for themselves. They just say nothing and hope it goes away?

This is all my opinion, and if people want to use JSA, more power to you. I think people are scared to say anything about the top two authentication outfits because they think they need their certs to sell.

(I didn't make the ruth ball, it came off the internet, looks like the sig is computer generated.)

Travis Roste
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthfake.jpg (45.7 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 11-07-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The difference is that 99 - 100% of Morales' stuff is bad. No one in their right mind (on this board) would buy a piece that he's authenticated.

What you presented represents a tiny fraction of what PSA and Spence have authenticated. Most would estimate that they are right 95% of the time (give or take a few percentage points). Granted that 5% potential error rate represents a large number of items. And I am sure you are all over this 5% segment, as you have an apparent "axe to grind".

But to answer your question, the outrage you're seeking doesn't occur- because the vast majority of PSA/Spence authentications are correct. There is a massive difference between 5% (PSA/Spence) and 100% (Morales).

Nobody is above reproach... Spence's Firpo authentication is awful. No argument there. But for you to compare the two outfits in the same breath is preposterous. Best of luck with this interesting mission
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Case in point.

http://www.fighttoys.com/Firpononauthentic.htm

If it ever goes to ebay, good luck getting it off. And I heard but can't confirm that all the authenticators at JSA look at each item and they all have to pass it for it to pass. What is going on? When you click on the link, the firpo on the bottom left (circa 1958) is one i obtained myself from a friend who lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina, so it's directly from Firpo's stomping grounds. Show us your exemplars you used to authenticate this item, Mr. Spence. I want to see your Firpo signatures. Please discontinue boxing.

When I first saw this Firpo, I figured it had to be an April Fools joke, or a Halloween prank. But it has a valid JSA cert, which is equivalent to getting a passport and visa, ready to travel the world.

It's insulting to people who study boxing signatures and it would look the same to baseball collectors as calling the following Babe Ruth "authentic." When i see this Firpo, that's what I see, the boxing equivalent to this Ruth ball. Why do they bother with boxing?

I don't know. They don't seem to have the phone number of someone who can figure out this Luis Firpo, which ends up going to auction. And they aren't autographs on the fence in my opinion, not questionables that could go either way. They are obviously no good, but how can you get this through to Spence so he can understand the gravity and width, depth, and breadth of the situation?

Now if Morales name were in place of Spence, all the guys would pile on and say "yeah, get him!" (That's fine, I don't have a problem with that), but evidently JSA is above reproach. The third rail of autograph authentication? Why is it so sacrosanct to ignore the criticism and NOT hold these guys feet to the fire and demand explanations when they authenticate like this, and instead just make excuses for them? (My favorite is that "hey they just make a few mistakes like anybody else. They authenticate a lot of autographs. If you only knew how many autographs they cert.") Maybe they should do a little less then.

That's attitude seems fine if you don't collect boxing, but if they start doing this to YOUR favorite sport, then you might think different.

They don't even make excuses for themselves. They just say nothing and hope it goes away?

This is all my opinion, and if people want to use JSA, more power to you. I think people are scared to say anything about the top two authentication outfits because they think they need their certs to sell.

(I didn't make the ruth ball, it came off the internet, looks like the sig is computer generated.)

Travis Roste
Travis, as if your JSA example isn't bad enough, I just spotted this PSA slabbed HORRIBLE Nolan Ryan on eBay this morning. This is so far off, it's not even funny. Please note the inscription "5 K K's"??. This would insinuate that Ryan signed this 1979 Topps card after he struck out his 5000th batter in 1989. This signature does not look like a Ryan signature from any era, and especially one signed post 1989. Ryan would never have written the inscription that way; he would have used "5,000 K's". Give me a break! I saved the photo just to remind myself how far off authenticators can sometimes be.

Another example: JSA signed off on this clubhouse signed Ryan ball that is in a current auction.
Another mistake on a very common signature. BTW, this ball was actually signed by one of the Angels bat boys during the 1970's, which was a pretty common practice back then.

Both are examples of pretty bad detective work, IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan PSA certified bogus autograph.jpg (58.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan clubhose signed ball with inscription.jpg (65.3 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-08-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Who is/are the name/s behind this auction group ? The items look like a joke, but it isn't funny.

COLOSSAL AUCTIONS
AuctionZip Auctioneer ID # 27123
COLOSSAL AUCTIONS
4396 DIXIE HIGHWAY
WATERFORD, MI 48329

Phone: 248-461-6170
Email: COLOSSALAUCTIONS@GMAIL.COM
Web:

[Add this auctioneer to your favorites.]

35 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS MICHIGAN'S PREMIERE SPORTS CARD AND COLLECTIBLES DEALER. 3 TIME SPONSOR OF THE NATIONAL SPORTS COLLECTORS CONVENTION. PROMOTER OF OVER 300 SPORTS CARD AND COLLECTIBLES SHOWS.
See my posts on page 4.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The difference is that 99 - 100% of Morales' stuff is bad. No one in their right mind (on this board) would buy a piece that he's authenticated.

What you presented represents a tiny fraction of what PSA and Spence have authenticated. Most would estimate that they are right 95% of the time (give or take a few percentage points). Granted that 5% potential error rate represents a large number of items. And I am sure you are all over this 5% segment, as you have an apparent "axe to grind".

But to answer your question, the outrage you're seeking doesn't occur- because the vast majority of PSA/Spence authentications are correct. There is a massive difference between 5% (PSA/Spence) and 100% (Morales).

Nobody is above reproach... Spence's Firpo authentication is awful. No argument there. But for you to compare the two outfits in the same breath is preposterous. Best of luck with this interesting mission

I am not comparing the two in the same breath, i am just pointing out the hypocrisy. Should I not have shown the Firpo? Is showing the Firpo an axe to grind and nothing else? Maybe they should be RESPONSIBLE for their authentications. Novel idea I know.

You admit that no one here will buy a morales piece, so morales isnt that big of a problem, is he? You wouldnt have known about the firpo authentication if i hadnt shown it, and if you thought it was a cool autograph, might have even bought it based on spences opinion. THAT'S the problem.

People buy all the time with a spence loa trusting it is good because it is signed off by spence. If no morales piece is ever good in your mind, you will never buy one. Morales can never harm you.

What I am trying to say is that people are buying COA's, not autographs, and if what spence is doing to boxing is the best he can do, then in my opinion we are all in trouble, because people are buying his coa's by the peck and bushel, and Morales doesn't have anything to do with that.

Everytime there is criticism of spence, people bring up morales, and they keep saying "well, at least he isn't THIS guy." That's the fools argument that is brought up every time spence is put on the hot seat to explain and be responsible for his authentications. Morales is put out there to get him off the hook again.

I noticed another member say that jsa and psa are the closest thing we have to reputable authenticators. Notice he didnt say they were reputable authenticators, he said "closest thing we have to reputable". Even he didnt believe they were reputable. That's a problem. Shouldn't we have an authentication outfit that is reputable, not "the closest thing we have to reputable?" it's their opinion when they make an opinion on authenticity, it's not their fact. you can believe them or not, or you can believe me or not. it's up to people to decide whether what i say holds water in my opinion, or what they do and say holds water.

Everyone has an opinion as to whether psa or jsa is reputable. but if someone brings up an opinion that questions their authentications, all of the sudden it is "Morales" just like "THIRD BASE" on the abbot and costello baseball routine.

Last edited by travrosty; 11-07-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned

What I find interesting is that it seems to be okay by many if jsa or psa makes horrendous mistakes, (not tough mistakes, that could go either way, but simple, glaring, obvious errors), it seems to be okay as long as they didnt TRY to make the mistake.

As long as they tried to do it right, then its fine. why?

If a towing company tows your car by mistake, it's okay as long as they didn't try to do it on purpose? Wouldn't you be mad if the towing order said red lamborghini and you drive a silver vw beetle?

I don't get it. If you bought a 30,000 signed letter by a certain hall of famer, and they got it wrong but they "tried", do you feel better now? Is it worth more now because they tried? No, it's still worth zero.

Think of a mythical authentication company.

They cert 100 babe ruth baseballs, get 50 wrong, for an error rate of 50% on Ruth.

They then cert a stack of 9900 Josh Hamilton signed photos that took place at a signing session with photo proof, and a representative present with documentation. (no brainer). Error rate 0%.

They then claim they certed 10,000 autographs that week, and if 50 were found wrong, then they had a weekly error rate of only .5 percent, so come get your Babe Ruth ball certed with us because we get 99.5% of our autographs right!

If they have a 5% error rate, and if some autographs are no brainers (which many, many are) that doesn't require an expert authenticator, or they are certed from signing sessions "in the presence" (0% error rate,) then the error rate for the others is higher to even it out at the 5%, now isn't it? And a so called error rate of 5% doesn't take into account the autographs that were good that they called bad, because no one tries to sell them one ebay or elsewhere with the rejection letter, do they? Those are the hidden errors so you can take the 5% and practically double it.

The tough ones are much higher than the 5%. We all know it. BUT THE TOUGH ONES ARE THE REASON A LOT OF US SEND IT IN, because we don't know!

Firpo isn't particularly tough!

All I want to see is the Firpo exemplar he compared that one to, to make his "authentic" decision. Show the exemplar, go ahead. Me and the guys with 20, 30, 40 years experience each can't find an exemplar anything close to that and we do boxing 24/7/365 for our entire lives. Spence can't call a boxing guy?

But good thing this is a mythical company, because in real life it is all gumdrops and lollipops.

People can send their autographs in to psa or spence if they want and that's their choice, I advise people to do what they want to do. They can trust who they want. But the system is broken in my opinion.

But people keep defending a system that is broken because they want the certs, because it is the certs that sell. Someday collectors might have the certs displayed on the wall that represent autographs, proudly looking at a cert that shows that an autograph of Al Hbrosky is out there somewhere and it is "authentic".

I am not against 3rd party authentication, just the way it is being done now, but I am against the status quo, so I have an axe to grind? A lot of people want silence to reign supreme. Chirp, chirp goes the crickets.

I once gave a `15-20 point reform post with suggestions that I know the companies saw, and 3 years later, NONE implemented. Guess my suggestions, all built on responsibility, transparency, and accuracy, check and balances, and a customers bill of rights is just too radical.

Last edited by travrosty; 11-07-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Maybe they should be RESPONSIBLE for their authentications. Novel idea I know.
How would you suggest an authenticator take responsibility for this or any other mistake when it's discovered after-the-fact? I'm not meaning that to be an attack, but a genuine question. Of course, ideally the mistake would be caught in-house before the LOA was printed up in the first place. Failing that, if the person paying for the authentication discovered the mistake, I suppose they could get their money back (though I'm sure most would just keep the LOA and pass it on down the line). But when a mistake is discovered two or three links down the chain of custody, what can an authenticator do at that point?

I'm thinking in particular of a situation Richard Simon posted about recently in which an item was brought to his attention that he had previously passed, but now revised his opinion on. Much to his credit, he contacted the current owner and encouraged them to go back up the chain and get his money back from whoever he bought it from, but the current owner declined to do so. In a situation like that, I'm not sure what else the authenticator could do to "be responsible." He can't break into the guy's house and destroy the fraudulent item, he can't force the guy to tear up the LOA, he can't even force the current owner to disclose the identity of the next buyer so that he can let them know the situation. It seems like once the LOA goes back with the item, the authenticator's hands are tied unless the owner notices the mistake (in which case, why is he having it authenticated in the first place).

Again, not an attack on anybody, authenticator or otherwise. Also, this question is presented with the understanding that mistakes do happen, so answers like "they shouldn't ever make mistakes in the first place" aren't particularly helpful.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

being responsible means owning up to the mistake (never saw them ever do that yet), then put procedures in place to tighten up that area of authentication they are having problems with (never saw them do that with boxing either). then refund money whenever and wherever possible.

The problem is that it is not just an occasional mistake that exasperates me. We can all make mistakes. But it is the level of mistake that is made.

That firpo mistake could NEVER, EVER be made by anybody i know that i consider to really know boxing. Can't be done. Impossible, not possible.

So what is going on? That's the question. The question is, show the exemplar you used to prove it was a mistake. Because if you don't have an exemplar that looks anything like the bogus Firpo autograph, then the question becomes, "How did you authenticate it without an exemplar. i cant answer that and I am not accusing him of not using exemplars, but I really would like to see that funky firpo exemplar he must have used if people hold him to his word that he uses exemplars. that's all.

If you type in the firpo cert number, it STILL COMES UP AS A VALID FIRPO AUTOGRAPH.

That is not taking responsibility. it should read "Luis Firpo- cert cancelled, call customer service.

THAT is taking responsibility.

We showed the george chuvalo that was called a julio cesar chavez by psa a long time ago, and it STILL shows up in their database as a George Chuvalo.

Some companies databases show bad Joe Louis' that stgill show up as Joe Louis, the bad Muhammad Ali's show up as Ali, the bad Max Schmeling, Marciano, etc. list goes on and on and on and on and on.

WHy? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Last edited by travrosty; 11-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

They can admit it, they can say they were wrong, they can cancel the cert in their database. they can refund money for the authentication, they can refund money for the bad item. It's whoever gets stuck with it last that is out the money. Write a check if it was your opinion that gave the buyer confidence to buy it only to find out it is not real. They cash checks, try writing one out.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
If you type in the firpo cert number, it STILL COMES UP AS A VALID FIRPO AUTOGRAPH.
Have you or someone you know contacted JSA about this mistake and shown them the exemplars you posted here?

Again, not trying to question whether you're right. I'm just wondering what their response, if any, was.

The suggestion that the cert be invalidated on the website certainly sounds like a reasonable suggestion if the signature can be shown to be a forgery. As far as writing checks though, I would assume they have some fine print limiting their indemnity to the fees charged for the service, not the value of the item itself. If that is the case though, who would they make the check out to? The person who submitted the item originally, or the one who has it now? Is there a policy/process in place with any of the major groups for rectifying mistakes? (whether it actually works or not)

Here's a suggestion: What if there were a sort of "bounty" in place for authenticated items that were proven to be faulty? Something like 1) show us the proof that the sig is not authentic 2) send in the cert card, loa or whatever 3) the authenticator either sends back the cert/letter with their own proof (copy of exemplars, etc) or cancels out the cert and sends back a check for the original authentication fees (regardless of whether the current owner was the one who submitted it or not)

Any other ideas?

I really don't think that "refund the money for the bad item" would ever really be a possibility unless the value of the item was less than the cert fees. If it were, someone would pick up the aforementioned Firpo auto, flip it to a friend for $1million, then claim a refund on the $1million. Even if they're backed by cert insurance or something, the insurance company's lawyers would never allow a loophole like that.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
They can admit it, they can say they were wrong, they can cancel the cert in their database. they can refund money for the authentication, they can refund money for the bad item. It's whoever gets stuck with it last that is out the money. Write a check if it was your opinion that gave the buyer confidence to buy it only to find out it is not real. They cash checks, try writing one out.
It would be great if these top authenticators would do this. They think they above reproach, but they are wrong. If the whack jobs that are ANL are interested in a fix, they ought to go back to their rising son Christopher Moral Less and get him to fix his exemplar files too, don't you think.....or is he just a scammer himself? Agree whole heartedly that JSA and PSA should do better at correcting their horrendous mistakes. I have stated in the past, if they don't get better, they will go the way of The GAI Global Bird. They’re almost there, but Moral Ass has jumped the shark so far he is above repair.

What makes me laugh like hell, is when industry giants like Muellar & Koschall say that "they have never seen Morales work” to judge if he is a walking boob or not? Or “good for Chris”, like he’s magical Chris Kringel or something. They are sticking up for a guy who has rarely got an autograph right. He has never had Mickey Mantle correct. I bet dollars to donunts more people are looking to buy Mantle than Gropo the robot or whoever that boxing guy is?

I have an idea....how about checking it out and knowing your industry completely as you state you do (Muellar & Koschal), instead of being skirt boys and skirting the issue? Or they love to use the same line Fryingpangiani used to use..."someone stole my certs or they are fake certs". LOLOLOLOLOLOL

The whole industry is a laughing joke and will continue to be so until guys like Moral Less is in jail or at least done with his rubber stamping everything fake as genuine. Maybe he should admit his mistakes? JSA & PSA need to tighten up their business model too or they will falter and go out of business, but there is little comparison to the 2 issues. Both are bad. When ANL and their wack job band of 3 get on board they might actually have some credibility, until then not so much

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 11-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Now on eBay

Several autographs from the Colossal Auction have started to appear on eBay. One seller has two or three supposed Satchel Paige cuts and a Ty Cobb. How can you provide a quick link to an auction? I don't know how to do it, otherwise I would have provided it for those that care to look...
Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Several autographs from the Colossal Auction have started to appear on eBay. One seller has two or three supposed Satchel Paige cuts and a Ty Cobb. How can you provide a quick link to an auction? I don't know how to do it, otherwise I would have provided it for those that care to look...
You mean this one, Scott:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ty-Cobb-Sign...item2c6094f609

Col-1.jpg

Col-2.jpg

Col-3.jpg
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
And this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Satchel-Paig...item2c60954828

Col-4.jpg

Col-5.jpg

Col-6.jpg
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Jimmy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lou-Gehrig-S...item2c6094e7b3

'Colossal' Gehrig - $950.00
Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Christopher Williams

And this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Satchel-Paig...item2c60950da1

Col-7.jpg

Col-8.jpg

Col-9.jpg
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Wayne Walker

Gehrig on ebay already sold. 950 is a great price for a legit Gehrig, but not for this one.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Gehrig on ebay already sold. 950 is a great price for a legit Gehrig, but not for this one.
What a shame....
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Hi Chris,
Thanks for providing the links to these!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

All have been removed.

I talked to Colossal, the sports arm is run by Rick Behar, Sandy Lane, and a Myron something. Any sound familiar? The nice girl I talked to knew very little about the sports section of the company.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Jimmy

Please excuse my ignorance, but how could the sold Gehrig be removed?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Jimmy

A quick google search links Rick Behar to a store by the name of 'SportsCard Central' and eBay's 'americard' ... a personal facebook page too for those that fancy social networks.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...erid=americard
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but how could the sold Gehrig be removed?
My understanding is that an auction can be "voided" even after it's been completed.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Hi Chris,
Thanks for providing the links to these!
You're welcome, Scott. The stuff was easy to find.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
My understanding is that an auction can be "voided" even after it's been completed.
It indeed can, and does happen after the fact. The buyer is releived of all responsibility to pay (and the seller cannot re-list the item).
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post
A quick google search links Rick Behar to a store by the name of 'SportsCard Central' and eBay's 'americard' ... a personal facebook page too for those that fancy social networks.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...erid=americard
It's interesting that their Ebay seller account doesn't include those Ty Cobb and Satchel Paige cut autographs. If they are so confident that their vintage autographs are authentic, then why don't they list them under their Ebay account?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
It would be great if these top authenticators would do this. They think they above reproach, but they are wrong. If the whack jobs that are ANL are interested in a fix, they ought to go back to their rising son Christopher Moral Less and get him to fix his exemplar files too, don't you think.....or is he just a scammer himself? Agree whole heartedly that JSA and PSA should do better at correcting their horrendous mistakes. I have stated in the past, if they don't get better, they will go the way of The GAI Global Bird. They’re almost there, but Moral Ass has jumped the shark so far he is above repair.

What makes me laugh like hell, is when industry giants like Muellar & Koschall say that "they have never seen Morales work” to judge if he is a walking boob or not? Or “good for Chris”, like he’s magical Chris Kringel or something. They are sticking up for a guy who has rarely got an autograph right. He has never had Mickey Mantle correct. I bet dollars to donunts more people are looking to buy Mantle than Gropo the robot or whoever that boxing guy is?

I have an idea....how about checking it out and knowing your industry completely as you state you do (Muellar & Koschal), instead of being skirt boys and skirting the issue? Or they love to use the same line Fryingpangiani used to use..."someone stole my certs or they are fake certs". LOLOLOLOLOLOL

The whole industry is a laughing joke and will continue to be so until guys like Moral Less is in jail or at least done with his rubber stamping everything fake as genuine. Maybe he should admit his mistakes? JSA & PSA need to tighten up their business model too or they will falter and go out of business, but there is little comparison to the 2 issues. Both are bad. When ANL and their wack job band of 3 get on board they might actually have some credibility, until then not so much

One of the dumbest things i have ever heard.

It's not gropo the robot, it's luis firpo. you are practicing elitism.

Put the exact quotes where people defend morales. show me. Don't just talk in generalities.

you are right, there is little comparison to the two issues. what the huge comapnies are doing will drag down the hobby. Morales is a known quantity.
How many Morales autos do you own, how many psa or jsa? answer it.

'Tighten it up'. Really? That's all they need to do, tighten it up a bit?

Tighten up the lug nuts? The wheel fell off 9 miles ago and we have been sparking on the rims since then gouging up the asphalt. But hey, they are doing great, right? Just tighten it up a bit. How about a total revamp from the top down?

You really don't know what's going on do you? You can't see past Morales. As long as there is Morales, other companies can't anything wrong? Where do I defend Morales? go ahead and show me.

Why are you turning my post above into a mueller and koschal discussion? it was my post about these companies and Morales, not theirs. All the sudden mueller and koschal come up. what's that have to do with anything? I don't speak on ANL's behalf, not here or when i post on ANL. It's a place to go and blog. There is no ANL view on things. It's a blog, just like there is no net54 view on things. I see you have posted on ANL. Are you a skirt boy too? Or do you have your own independent views and voice. Just like me, just like Mueller, just like Koschal, just like anybody. Show me a specific quote. You don't have one.

Did you see my other thread about a Tom Sayers boxing autograph with LOA's written up then pulled by these companies because I guess you need exemplars to issue an LOA?

10 dollar mantle photos are a problem but not the big fish. Why do you need judgments from other people on morales? Everybody knows Morales and his work. Morales is used as a smokescreen to take the heat off of other entities.

Criticism for abc, xyz companies. "MORALES"!!!! Total up all questionable items you have seen from morales and put a $ amount on them. then do the same with abc, xyz.
Compare the two numbers, not even close.

gropo the robot (elitism) had nearly a 400 dollar bid. It didn't have a morales cert.

Last edited by travrosty; 11-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Maybe fudd would actually like to read autographalert instead of just bashing it.

http://www.autographalert.com/2007-1-6.html

looks like to me he takes a certain fde to task. About 80 percent down the page, titled 'following the authenticators".

how is that being a skirt boy, not commenting on this fde as you put it, when he clearly did.

apology accepted.

Last edited by travrosty; 11-09-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

Leaving the other points aside, this point
Quote:

Did you see my other thread about a Tom Sayers boxing autograph with LOA's written up then pulled by these companies because I guess you need exemplars to issue an LOA?
Is unfairly made. The comments you refer to were made well before the thread about the Sayers was started.

I was also somewhat amused by the link. The article about the churchill "rubber stamp" pictures a metal and wood typography block. NO rubber involved. (And no correction/addendum since 2007! That says a lot about attention the to detail of a whole lot of people)

If they're going to - and it appears rightly so in many cases- take people to task for issuing LOAs while making very basic errors........You know, the whole glass houses thing.

Steve B
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Leaving the other points aside, this point

Is unfairly made. The comments you refer to were made well before the thread about the Sayers was started.

I was also somewhat amused by the link. The article about the churchill "rubber stamp" pictures a metal and wood typography block. NO rubber involved. (And no correction/addendum since 2007! That says a lot about attention the to detail of a whole lot of people)

If they're going to - and it appears rightly so in many cases- take people to task for issuing LOAs while making very basic errors........You know, the whole glass houses thing.

Steve B
Steve - granted the term rubber stamp is an error, but the metal and wood block had the same purpose as a rubber stamp and I would not really take him to task for that misuse of the words rubber stamp. We all understand what he meant.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Did someone say "rubber stamped"?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have to share this one with you all.
As I've mentioned previously, one of the things I collect is the signatures of all no-hit pitchers.

A few months ago I purchased this supposedly signed 3 x 5 index card of Dwight "Doc" Gooden with a JSA sticker. The eBay scan was somewhat poor quality. When I received it in the mail I had to laugh as there is no question that this is a Gooden rubber stamped 3 x 5 from the mid 1980's.

How in the world did this ever get passed by JSA? LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dwight Gooden rubber stamp autograph JSA passed.JPG (58.2 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Autograph scandals. How odd.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Steve - granted the term rubber stamp is an error, but the metal and wood block had the same purpose as a rubber stamp and I would not really take him to task for that misuse of the words rubber stamp. We all understand what he meant.
I agree Richard. I was maybe a bit over the top on that one. The block was likely used to print some of the various "signed" form letters Churchill used.

My poorly made point was that everyone makes mistakes, sometimes they're minor, sometimes they're more obvious to someone more familiar with an object. I do think that how those mistakes are handled matters, and there's an appearance of unwillingness to correct a minor technical issue. (My wife and I "discuss" this somewhat regularly, if someone doesn't get the easy stuff right I have little faith in them getting the big stuff right.)

Sadly I have the feeling that the underlying argument is one of how to best correct problems. One group believes that the authentication industry as a whole is fatally flawed and that going after the biggest names is the best way to force some adjustments. The other side thinks the overall industry is needed and workable, and that the most productive path is eliminating those who are either totally incompetent or deliberately authenticating fakes.
I think both have their place.

I'd like to see LOAs changed to be more like the certs given for stamps. For those, you tell them what you believe the stamp is and the certs gives the correct identification, with a statement like "it is genuine, with a sealed tear 1mm from the left corner" or " it is genuine, reperforated on the right side" and less commonly, "we render no opinion" (For the card Scott shows it would call it a genuine rubber stamp of Goodens signature)
The stamp certs of course have their own problems and scandals, as well as incompetent expertisers.

I do have a question about how the larger companies work. Does the signer of the LOA actually do all the authenticating for a company like PSA/DNA? Or is it more like cards where there are multiple people working under supervision?

Steve B
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Richard Simon

Steve - I believe that no general public customer actually knows who authenticates anything that is submitted to PSA.
You can make educated guesses based on the item itself, but there are only multiple facsimile signatures at the bottom of their COA, and it is anyone's guess who actually examined the item.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-11-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedegu View Post
http://www.colossalauctions.net/Certification.html

This makes no sense whatsoever. The whole thing is goofy, but here's a sample-

"These authenticators may certify only 5% to 10% of all high end items that are submitted to them by customers. That means that on the other hand, between 90 to 95% of all high end items that are submitted to them are forgeries. Even if the odds were substancially lower, it would be highly unlikely that the large volume of items that pass through these authenticator's hands are forgeries. Surely these so called forgeries would have to be done on an assembly line by experts. There are not that many expert forgers around that could produce such a high volume of individual and unique forgeries anyway. It can't be that lucrative of a business nowadays, to forge items that wouldn't pass close examination, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe at one time in the past it was lucrative, but now there is a much better quality of reputable authentication services that can detect these forgeries."

I don't like the good-ol-boy autograph network with the big auction houses and alphabet soup companies, but pointing out the other guys' faults doesn't say anything about your own position.
Out of curiosity I clicked through to their "Certification and Authenticity" page, and aside from the many grammatical errors and laughable statements like "it can't be that lucrative of a business nowadays," I find it odd that in the 4 hours or so since the quote above was made, as of 5:28 PM CST, the percentages were changed in that paragraph to:

"These authenticators may only certify up to 20% of all high end items that are submitted to them by individuals. So in their mind, the other 80% are forgeries."

Are they re-writing their in-house CoA rant in response to postings on this board? Or is the timing of that re-write merely a coincidence? Makes me wonder what else changed in the meantime, but since that was the only paragraph quoted, I'll never know.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Richard Simon

These people at Colossal are very aware of this board.
After they removed their pictures from their last auction I wrote to them, under a pseudonym, requesting pictures of a few lots.
After figuring out that it was me, one of their principals started writing to me.
Along with other statements he has mentioned in his correspondence that he "gets a kick out of my blogger friends and finds them entertaining."
I guess that means you guys .
He also said that putting photos of his items on the internet drew too much negative attention.
Wonder what he meant by that?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Wayne Walker

It was very soon after this thread started that the photos started coming down. Seems it was a response to some of the obvious criticism that was being lobbed.

In the end, if you're going to pay 150 bucks for a Hughie Jennings autograph, why would you need a photo before doing so?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
"gets a kick out of my blogger friends and finds them entertaining." I guess that means you guys .
When will some people learn that posting on a message board is not the same as "blogging"?!?!? Some knuckleheads on another dubious site consistently refer to message board participants as "bloggers" as well.

Quote:
He also said that putting photos of his items on the internet drew too much negative attention.
With a defense like that, who needs a prosecution?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Richard Simon

Default Hey Poster Boys,,, get a real job.

This is now on the Colossal website:

"Many bloggers believe most everything is a forgery, and everyone is a forger or conspirator unless proven otherwise. Many of these same people, whom are collectors and sellers themselves, also believe everything they have is 100% authentic and everything you have is not. Some are independant authenticators who think they know everything and may have worked for some of these authentication companies or auction houses in the past. They consider themselves autograph experts and continuously disperage authenticators, sellers, and collectors alike. These bloggers are self proclaimed experts who regularly post on forums because they have nothing better to do. They don't have a real job.

But excuuse me, they don't like the term "Bloggers", they like to be called "Posters"....because they're so special. We'll just call them 'Poster Boys" for lack of a better term. These poster boys will try to do anything in their power to stir up controversy and discredit anyone who doesn't agree with there narrow minded way of thinking. On their forums, they will try to discredit, and refute everything written on this web page. Their attitude also helps perpetuate the status of the most well known authenticators, and the notion that if these well known authenticators authenticate anything it's got to be real, whether it is or not. It's like wrestling with an 800 pound gorilla, you can't win. So if you choose to use a 3rd party authenticator, consider their reputation, your options, and choose wisely."
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-11-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Christopher Williams

If "Colossal Auctions" are so confident that their vintage cut autographs are authentic, then why aren't they listing them under their Ebay account (Americard)?

What's the deal there, Colossal Auctions?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
If "Colossal Auctions" are so confident that their vintage cut autographs are authentic, then why aren't they listing them under their Ebay account (Americard)?

What's the deal there, Colossal Auctions?
I'm confused.

These guys are thieves - they are making a living stealing from people. They have the absolute stupidest website on the planet, and the most ridiculous authentication policies. Their strategy is all designed for theft...period. Rather than trying to get them to prove they are legit (which is impossible), why don't you guys actually do something about them?

Seriously, you are all into collecting vintage autographs and I guess preserving the integrity of the autograph-collecting hobby - so go get him nailed. That's really the only solution to this.

Isn't there some procedure that leads to the authorities tossing them in jail?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
This is now on the Colossal website:

"Many bloggers believe most everything is a forgery, and everyone is a forger or conspirator unless proven otherwise. Many of these same people, whom are collectors and sellers themselves, also believe everything they have is 100% authentic and everything you have is not. Some are independant authenticators who think they know everything and may have worked for some of these authentication companies or auction houses in the past. They consider themselves autograph experts and continuously disperage authenticators, sellers, and collectors alike. These bloggers are self proclaimed experts who regularly post on forums because they have nothing better to do. They don't have a real job.

But excuuse me, they don't like the term "Bloggers", they like to be called "Posters"....because they're so special. We'll just call them 'Poster Boys" for lack of a better term. These poster boys will try to do anything in their power to stir up controversy and discredit anyone who doesn't agree with there narrow minded way of thinking. On their forums, they will try to discredit, and refute everything written on this web page. Their attitude also helps perpetuate the status of the most well known authenticators, and the notion that if these well known authenticators authenticate anything it's got to be real, whether it is or not. It's like wrestling with an 800 pound gorilla, you can't win. So if you choose to use a 3rd party authenticator, consider their reputation, your options, and choose wisely."
If is funny to watch them scramble around, trying to cover all the bases so that no potential buyer will have any doubts or hesitations. In the long run this will only hurt their cause, though, as it will make potential buyers ask the question, "Who are these 'bloggers' and where do they discuss this stuff?" As these potential buyers are alerted to the fact that other experts do exist in the field, they will seek more knowledge and hopefully discover the truth about these crooks.

Of course, after reading this logic, they may remove those last couple paragraphs now...

Last edited by CW; 11-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.