NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Brandon

Default Ebay Seller's Remorse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'm always looking for the next good deal as i'm sure you probably do the same....I recently picked up this Ted Williams Pennant for $59(Buy it now) and paid for it yesterday. Today I found out she refunded me my money because her husband was angry at her for listing it at a cheap price. The pennant will be relisted at a much higher price soon but I will not be bidding Has this happened to you and does it happen frequently? Is there anything that can be done? I'm glad for the refund but still irratated
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Rick P

Call ebay...they should be able to help enforce the sale if she has told you in writing that the pennant wasn't already sold when you bought it.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Robert Williams

I recently sold a Pop 1 card with none grading higher for only $3. Meanwhile they are selling for $30-$50 BIN's with regularity. Was I upset I pratically gave mine away for peanuts? You betcha....did I go through with the sale? Of course.....it is only the right thing to do....I would neg the seller and complain to Ebay.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Jim VB

Brandon,

Normally, I'd agree that you should neg the seller that backed out. For a second though, I'll argue the other side.

Looks like the seller is a newbie, who may have marital problems if you were able to force the sale. Could you try? Sure. Is it worth it? I don't know. She may have enough problems to deal with.

With a feedback score of only 18, if you neg her, she can just close her account and open a new one.

Tough call. This could go either way.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Jeff

Cut her some slack, it's good karma.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Not worth it

Yeah you could try to force it but the seller could just say they shipped it and, ooops, it didn't arrive. It's not worth the hassle. I'm sure we all have nabbed enough good deals to not worry about the few that get away.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It's at least a $400 - $500 pennant. If she sold it without the husband's consent, I would cut her some slack.

We all like to get great deals, but not at the expense of someone who doesn't know any better (especially when they have an angry spouse to answer to...)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 PM

I forgot a 0 once and listed a photo on ebay for $25 that should have been $250. It sold right away of course and never for a second did I consider not going through with the sale. It was my mistake and needed to live with it.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Brandon,

Normally, I'd agree that you should neg the seller that backed out. For a second though, I'll argue the other side.

Looks like the seller is a newbie, who may have marital problems if you were able to force the sale. Could you try? Sure. Is it worth it? I don't know. She may have enough problems to deal with.

With a feedback score of only 18, if you neg her, she can just close her account and open a new one.

Tough call. This could go either way.
This account was opened on June 18th, 2000...I wouldn't really call her a newbie even though she has only 18 feedbacks in 10 years. I'd be willing to bet this isn't her only account.... someone probably got to her and she sold it at a higher price off ebay.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Sean Brennan

I won a Harpo and Groucho Marx costume on Ebay a week before Halloween. The buyer said they had $400 into the costumes (and they were really nice). I won it for $5 Immediatly after paying for it I get this email:

Hello! Thanks for buying these costumes. I do, however, have some bad news. I pulled everything out of the attic this morning from storage for shipping and half of this stuff has been eaten (the silk mainly) by rats. It is also covered in rat feces and urine. What a sad loss! I have refunded 100% of your money (includes shipping) and deeply apologize for the inconvenience. Regards, Molly

I replied:
Thanks,
I ll have to remember that brilliant story the next time I sell something too cheap on ebay!
Guess Ill try for a Zeppo costume instead
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM

The auction ended. She's not even saying she made a mistake to sell it because it was sentimental to her husband and can't part with it but because the final price was not to his satisfaction. Guess what? That's how ebay works, or at least it used to until all the BINs. There are some unusual cases where I would let a seller off the hook but this is not it.

Contractional obligation to sell trumps seller's error or domestic dispute. It is wrong not to sell it to you. I would offer the seller a hardy negative, at the very least.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I won something cheap one time and the guy emailed that he just spilled grape juice all over it. LOL. I was gonna say, I don't care I still want it! But I would have just gotten another excuse like, I threw it out after the juice spilled on it, then the garbageman came! Like I said, it's hard to win in these cases.

I remember listing a ticket stub I had and after it sold I couldn't find it for a few days! I had the scan on my computer for some time so I didn't need to get it out to scan it. After initially looking for it I told the buyer I was having trouble locating it. i'm sure he thought I was lying, but it did turn up. just saying that sometimes there are legitimate reasons that sound like lies too.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

I recently finished a transaction that must have seemed like that. I sold a postcard through my Ebay store and couldn't find it. Seriously, it was just plain gone. So I pulled the listings, refunded, and sent an apology and a promise to send the card when I found it. About a year later I find the stack of postcards at the bottom of a box of stuff the bottom batch of stuff was stuff for sale, the top of the box was stuff to sort. DOH!

Contacted her and sent the card. Nice to surprise someone and make them happy at the same time.

Steve B
Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Brandon

Thanks for all your replies; I don't find good deals all that often so I was pretty pleased to get this one, or so I thought. She actually wasn't able to refund me all my money(she still owes me $2.50) so maybe she needs the money from the pennant more than I do? I did send her an email expressing my displeasure but tried to be civil about it. Thanks again for your responses. Regards, Brandon
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 PM
T0NY @

Brandon sorry you had to experience this. My opinion is that they should fulfill the deal. Newbie or not....
Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Jon Canfield

I might be in a similar position with a different seller. I just won a card on eBay a few minutes ago for $10.50 (this was a non-reserve auction). Before I could send payment, I received an email from the seller that said "I WILL TAKE $40.00 FOR THIS CARD." I've emailed the the seller back stating that their email confused me as I just won the auction for $10.50. Let's see what happens before I out the seller.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Jim D

Ive had this happen a few times over the years on ebay.... I usually get "i'm not selling my item for that!" i remind them that is what reserves are for...too bad.... I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE AN ITEM, after informing the seller as such.

Tell her too bad, it is a contract.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Suspicious

I am sure that is it is possible that the story that she told about her husband is true. However, knowing eBay, it is more likely that someone e-mailed her that 1) they would pay her significantly more or 2) alerted her that she basically gave the pennant away dirt cheap. You could have asked her how much more she wanted to complete the sale with you instead of re-listing the item. That might have outed her true intentions.

I would definitely send a copy of the e-mail to eBay for review and see what they say. Good luck, sorry you didn't get the deal that you thought you were getting.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

MEARS may have got hold of it.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSD View Post
MEARS may have got hold of it.
Why do you say that?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Barry Blumenfeld

Pete Maravich debacle.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Brandon

Pennant resold on ebay yesterday for $209 buy it now....still a good deal and hopefully if it was anyone on this board they actually follow through and ship your pennant.

Last edited by gashousegang_1; 11-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSD View Post
Pete Maravich debacle.
I don't always follow what's going on in the auction biz..can you tell me what the Pete Maravich debacle was about?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=38999
Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Thanks for the link...very discouraging.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Johnny S

With 9.50 shipping I would leave a neg for sure
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

I was bummed also.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 PM

The big problem is that eBay turns people who never thought about being retailers into retailers. I have had several transactions where I won something and it was clear that someone had come to them after the fact and offered more and made a series of excuses. If this women had said that her husband didn't want her to sell it, maybe. But the fact that they planned on selling it later and hoped to get more, if it was me, I would have contacted eBay about this. Now all you can do is leave negative feedback and your decision should be based on the the reason for cancellation was monies, you paid and the funds had to be returned to you and you were involved in a binding contract.

DanC
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Jim D

i agree, Neg her.... the fact she returned your money then instantly listed it for more money is low and dishonest on her part!

I hope no one on this forum seen this thread and bought the pennant when it was re-listed as that too would make them disrespectful and IMO a douche!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

I would have contacted her before she tried to sell it again to let it be known that this isn't fair and there are steps that you can take as a buyer to do your best to make her go through with the transaction. After all, it's not like she is trying to sell a $10,000 for $1. Ebay gives all the power to the buyer in the fact that she can't do anything as far as negative feedback toward her and I honestly think she deserves it.

Interesting story at Mears.

Larry
Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM

It figures its always something you really want too. "My kid just broke it" "too cheap, no sale" a couple crappy excuses I've gotten.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I recently sold a Pop 1 card with none grading higher for only $3. Meanwhile they are selling for $30-$50 BIN's with regularity. Was I upset I pratically gave mine away for peanuts? You betcha....did I go through with the sale? Of course.....it is only the right thing to do....I would neg the seller and complain to Ebay.
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but wanted to weigh in on this issue. I just had the same conversation with my wife today about doing the right thing.

To the original poster, it stinks but you did the right thing.