NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Wayne Walker

Default Colossal Auctions?

http://www.colossalauctions.net/contact.html

Some pretty crazy stuff there, especially on the bottom of the page in the "future lots" section. Anyone heard of them? This doesn't look as blatantly bad as Coaches, but the sheer number of high-end and rare stuff is raising a lot of red flags for me.

Opinions?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Garbage.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Bombjack,
There is also an eBay seller selling a supposed Christy Mathewson check cut with a Colossal Auctions COA. Mathewson sigs must be falling out of trees!! As David stated, just more crap Most of these signatures look like they were signed with the same fountain pen.
Here is what the Mathewson check cut on eBay looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christy Mathewson Collosal Auctions check cut eBay.jpg (30.1 KB, 780 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Barry Sloate

Did you see lot #40, the 1932 Yankees signed team ball? The ball shows significant wear, yet somehow every signature is a gem mint 10 out of 10. Crap.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

OMG!!! Roaches by another name!! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, THIS AIN'T NO DUCK!!!! Better you DUCK from this auction! The only sig I saw missing is from the Messiah himself!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Their "return policy":

Colossal Auctions certification is all you'll need to ensure the authenticity of your item.

We will issue a COA if applicable, and stand behind every autograph sold. Our money

back guarantee entitles the winning bidder to receive a full refund of the purchase price, after meeting certain criteria. First, a written statement must be submitted by a reputable forensic examiner, stating the reasons why he did not wish to render an opinion as to the authenticity of the submitted item. Next we reserve the right to challenge the findings by submitting the same autograph to another independent third party forensic examiner.

If the forensic examiner we chose agrees that the item is uncertifiable, we will issue the winning bidder a full refund.

If the forensic examiner we chose deems the autograph as genuine, contrary to your examiner, and issues a COA

to that effect, we will accept his opinion as validation that the autograph is genuine. In that case, at our discretion, we will not offer a refund. However, we will offer the new COA free of charge with no fees incurred for the additional authentication service provided. Another option would be to consign it in our next scheduled auction.

We assume no liability on any loss allegedly sustained resulting from a differing opinion by any other independent third party authenticator on any autograph that is deemed genuine by any other third party authenticator.

Translated: Only an absolute moron would bid in their auctions.

EDITED TO ADD that since Coaches Corner seems to be making money and nobody has stepped up to stop them, why should anybody be surprised that others would try to emulate their business model?

Last edited by benjulmag; 10-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
OMG!!! Roaches by another name!! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, THIS AIN'T NO DUCK!!!! Better you DUCK from this auction! The only sig I saw missing is from the Messiah himself!
This also looks strangely like the inventory of Mr. Pris*o....
Hmmm..........................
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Wayne Walker

Scott-I saw that Mathewson on ebay, which brought me to the Collossal website. Now that I am home and can look at some of the lots more closely, I have to agree that the whole thing is laughable (though that is where I was leaning from the get-go).

A look at the Ed Plank check (yeah, ED PLANK, you see that auto everyday) shows an auto that is not only much darker than any of the other writing on the check, but that has ink blots indicating that is was drawn slowly. Akin to that is the Honus Wagner postcard, which was clearly drawn slowly.

There is also a Frank Chance (among numerous other Christmas cards), multiple Mathewsons and Ansons, as well as about 20 Ruth autos, all with no third party authentication. Whatever you think of PSA/DNA and/or JSA, there is clearly an advantage to selling with these certs, especially so with autos as rare as these. Why don't any of these have said certs? These people are clearly emulating Coaches Corner.

My name is Wayne Walker, by the way.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Pete Sycks

After laughing at the scans of the 32 Yankees ball I thought "maybe there's a Ruth / Gehrig auto bat" and to my dismay surprise surprise there was one. How do auction houses like this not go to jail?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Scott

Total Garbage again. Prob from the same consignors as coaches
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Scott-I saw that Mathewson on ebay, which brought me to the Collossal website. Now that I am home and can look at some of the lots more closely, I have to agree that the whole thing is laughable (though that is where I was leaning from the get-go).

A look at the Ed Plank check (yeah, ED PLANK, you see that auto everyday) shows an auto that is not only much darker than any of the other writing on the check, but that has ink blots indicating that is was drawn slowly. Akin to that is the Honus Wagner postcard, which was clearly drawn slowly.

There is also a Frank Chance (among numerous other Christmas cards), multiple Mathewsons and Ansons, as well as about 20 Ruth autos, all with no third party authentication. Whatever you think of PSA/DNA and/or JSA, there is clearly an advantage to selling with these certs, especially so with autos as rare as these. Why don't any of these have said certs? These people are clearly emulating Coaches Corner.

My name is Wayne Walker, by the way.
Hi Wayne,
Nice to know your real name so I don't have to call you Bombjack!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Scott

I wish I could see closeup scan of some of the crap, esp the Plank check. It just shows small pics of items to me.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I wish I could see closeup scan of some of the crap, esp the Plank check. It just shows small pics of items to me.
Hmmm, I went there to see if I could post the check here, but it seems that all of the auto photos have been removed (at least temporarily).

Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Hmmm, I went there to see if I could post the check here, but it seems that all of the auto photos have been removed (at least temporarily).
Here is a quote from the website:
"We will email you scans of lots you may be interested in bidding on."

Wow!! What a way to run an auction.
Why not just say "we are afraid to show scans of our items due to all the criticism we are getting, so if you care to bid, sucka, then just let us know."
I cannot even find any company address for Colossal Auctions on the website.
Oops, there is an address on the auctions page, sorry about that and thanks to Rob Lifson for pointing that out to me.
And those refund on autographs terms are just too funny, reads like Larry David wrote them.
"you can get a forensic, or anyone, to examine the autograph we just sold you, but if your authenticator does not like it, we can send it to our choice of forensic (who could that be??) and if that forensic says it is good than our forensic wins."
I think this auction site should emulate some other auction sites and also start selling jewelry, shirts, tube socks and other quality items.
Unreal.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-25-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
These people are clearly emulating Coaches Corner.
Colossal Coaches Corner!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Here is a quote from the website:
"We will email you scans of lots you may be interested in bidding on."

Wow!! What a way to run an auction.
Why not just say "we are afraid to show scans of our items due to all the criticism we are getting, so if you care to bid, sucka, then just let us know."
I cannot even find any company address for Colossal Auctions on the website.
And those refund on autographs terms are just too funny, reads like Larry David wrote them.
Unreal.
Wow, they really did take down the auto photos, but the photos of non-auto stuff have stayed up. That sure instills confidence, no?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
This also looks strangely like the inventory of Mr. Pris*o....
Hmmm..........................
I agree, Scott. I was just looking at the Christy Mathewson cut on their home page and that's the first thing that came to mind.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Barry Sloate

What their return policy really says is don't expect to ever actually get a refund, because no matter what your forensic expert says, we will find one who will say it's good. And once that happens, you are SOOL.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
What their return policy really says is don't expect to ever actually get a refund, because no matter what your forensic expert says, we will find one who will say it's good. And once that happens, you are SOOL.
So Barry, what you're saying is, don't make a COLOSSAL mistake, right?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Yep...run the other way as fast as possible!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Wow, you can't even see the descriptions of the autographed stuff. What a bizarre marketing scheme.

Was Mathewson ever the cashier of a bank? If not why was he signing as cashier?

Steve B
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Rich Klein

Default And on items which are legit (Cards)

In many cases; just a little description would help their prices. I looked at that lot of the 61 Fleers which were PSA graded. Nothing wrong with adding a little text as to the player's name and the grade. I did not see any qualifiers, but in either case, legit grading company, legit cards. Add some detail and make yourself some money

Rich
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Wow, you can't even see the descriptions of the autographed stuff. What a bizarre marketing scheme.

Steve B
"Mathewson" signed as cashier because that is the only old check that they could find when Matty had his private signing session.
FYI - He still holds the line on his pricing. $12 for flats, $20 for baseballs.
Matty does not believe in overcharging for his autograph.
This business and website is one of the stranger things in this hobby/business and that is saying something.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-25-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
"Mathewson" signed as cashier because that is the only old check that they could find when Matty had his private signing session.
FYI - He still holds the line on his pricing. $12 for flats, $20 for baseballs.
Matty does not believe in overcharging for his autograph.
Still every bit the Christian Gentleman...

Tom C
Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Wayne Walker

Here is a link to the prices from their last auction. Ruth and Mathewson autos for under 400 bucks! Hughie Jennings for 150! Anson and Plank for 300 each! "J. Collins and J. Kelly" lot for 225 total!

Unreal prices for according autographs. What an interesting website.

http://www.colossalauctions.net/Past-auction.html

Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Steve B

Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I am still waiting to bid on a Mathewson signed checkers piece
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Bombjack,
There is also an eBay seller selling a supposed Christy Mathewson check cut with a Colossal Auctions COA. Mathewson sigs must be falling out of trees!! As David stated, just more crap Most of these signatures look like they were signed with the same fountain pen.
Here is what the Mathewson check cut on eBay looks like:
This Mathewson has been removed from ebay.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Dave

They're like a shyer, more coy version of Coach's Corner.

Maybe we'll show you a blurry photo of a bad autograph.........and maybe we won't. How bad do you want it?

I had several dates like this in High School. They never ended well.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
I am still waiting to bid on a Mathewson signed checkers piece
Max,
You have to ask for these things when you want them. They just don't appear out of thin air .
Send a letter to Colossal and I bet you can have one in a few days .
Matty was also a poker player, I am going to write to Colossal now and ask for a Matty signed Ace of Hearts.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-26-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Tony N.

Default Colossal

Hauls of Shame just posted a new thread on the new auction house.

Tony
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Type their address into Google Maps.

4396 Dixie Hwy
Waterford, MI 48329

The place is called Colossal Closeouts and is pretty much a thrift store in a strip mall.

Edited to add:

Colossal Closeouts is now open at 4396 Dixie Hwy. in the retail center on the northwest corner of Dixie and Sashabaw in Waterford Township, adjacent to Papa Romano’s and Rite-Aid.

The store purchases closeouts and liquidations of high-quality merchandise including new Holloway brand jackets, golf shirts, sport pants, bags, hoodies, sweats, stadium blankets and more at low prices.

Colossal also sells jewelry, brand name petites, plus sizes, military wear, Michigan colleges apparel and trendy fashion accessories for men, women, teens and young adults.

The store is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays.

For more information, call 248-461-6170.

From: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...4133674977.txt

And don't forget to check out their ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/ColossalCloseouts

Last edited by sylbry; 10-27-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
Type their address into Google Maps.

4396 Dixie Hwy
Waterford, MI 48329

The place is called Colossal Closeouts and is pretty much a thrift store in a strip mall.

Edited to add:

Colossal Closeouts is now open at 4396 Dixie Hwy. in the retail center on the northwest corner of Dixie and Sashabaw in Waterford Township, adjacent to Papa Romano’s and Rite-Aid.

The store purchases closeouts and liquidations of high-quality merchandise including new Holloway brand jackets, golf shirts, sport pants, bags, hoodies, sweats, stadium blankets and more at low prices.

Colossal also sells jewelry, brand name petites, plus sizes, military wear, Michigan colleges apparel and trendy fashion accessories for men, women, teens and young adults.

The store is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays.

For more information, call 248-461-6170.

From: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...4133674977.txt

And don't forget to check out their ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/ColossalCloseouts
Sweet!! That's who I want to buy my vintage Matty, Babe and Lou Gehrig signed items from. Some company that specializes in blowing out cheezy unsellable merchandise. Give me a ****ing break!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

From another web search on Colossal Auctions:

35 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS MICHIGAN'S PREMIERE SPORTS CARD AND COLLECTIBLES DEALER. 3 TIME SPONSOR OF THE NATIONAL SPORTS COLLECTORS CONVENTION. PROMOTER OF OVER 300 SPORTS CARD AND COLLECTIBLES SHOWS.

Reverse phone lookup brings you to a Barbara J Fisher. Any one heard of her?

This person appears to be involved as well.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sports..._edit_sections

Rick Behar is the owner.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmdzs5z/sportscard-central

Last edited by sylbry; 10-27-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Richard Simon

This is on the Colossal website:

"There are some authenticators who cater to major auction houses extensively. They get more visibility and recognition when their company name is listed in the auction catalogs. These auction sites and venues choose
to allow only a few of these selected high profile authenticators to be associated with their collectibles. As such, many collectors are more familiar with those high profile authenticators, and they perceive signatures authenticated by them to be more credible, and therefore more valuable. It is unfortunate that this view is common in the field of authentication, because being a familiar name may enhance the authenticator's reputation, but certainly doesn't mean they are the best in the business. So if you choose to use an alternate authenticator, consider your options and choose wisely.
Please note that eBay policy allows only a select few authenticator's COA associated with autographs sold there.
Most autographed items will be delisted if they don't have the appropriate COA."

--
Yet when their return policy was questioned via e mail, Rick Be from Colossal stated in an e mail:

"We issue our own COA with a 100% money back guarantee. If you wanted to get a another third party opinion, we would suggest using AAU, ACE or Morales Forensics. If you got a negative opinion from any 3rd party authenticator you choose, we have the right to challenge that with a different 3rd party authentication also. We would probably choose Morales Forensics."

So they are "educating" the collector about various COA's on ebay yet they would probably choose a 3rd party authenticator who is on the ebay banned list.
To sum it up,, if you buy something from them and you send it to PSA, JSA, me, David, Keating or anyone else and we do not think it is authentic then in order for you to get a refund, you have to wait for them to send the item to someone else. That would probably be Morales Forensics, and if MF says it is authentic then you are the owner of it, along with a COA from MF and a turndown letter from another 3rd party authenticator.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-28-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedegu View Post
He also added ACE and a couple others when I asked.
Organized crime. Hopefully something like this will finally get the FBI involved with this ring of scumbags.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Organized crime. Hopefully something like this will finally get the FBI involved with this ring of scumbags.
+1
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
we would suggest using AAU, ACE or Morales Forensics.
I'm sure they would!

What a joke.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Their suspicious behavior and actions notwithstanding, The following paragraph they posted IS true, though.

"There are some authenticators who cater to major auction houses extensively. They get more visibility and recognition when their company name is listed in the auction catalogs.

These auction sites and venues choose to allow only a few of these selected high profile authenticators to be associated with their collectibles. As such, many collectors are more familiar with those high profile authenticators, and they perceive signatures authenticated by them to be more credible, and therefore more valuable.

It is unfortunate that this view is common in the field of authentication, because being a familiar name may enhance the authenticator's reputation, but certainly doesn't mean they are the best in the business.

So if you choose to use an alternate authenticator, consider your options and choose wisely.

Please note that eBay policy allows only a select few authenticator's COA associated with autographs sold there.

Most autographed items will be delisted if they don't have the appropriate COA."
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
That is totally untrue, as we all know.
You do not have to have a COA from PSA or JSA to sell on ebay.
--
Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

yeah as someone has already brought up, if it's worked for another auction company why wouldn't it work for this one?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

A few dealers I know were forced to either get ALL their stuff either certed by one of the three companies on ebay's pre-approved list or else they could not list the items on ebay. either pay for the sticker or get off ebay. it has happened.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Richard Simon

I would assume and just guess that those companies might have been selling questionable items and ebay made their selling conditional on approval by one of the authentication companies.
Everybody here knows I have no love lost for the authentication companies but lets keep our facts straight here.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-30-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
A few dealers I know were forced to either get ALL their stuff either certed by one of the three companies on ebay's pre-approved list or else they could not list the items on ebay. either pay for the sticker or get off ebay. it has happened.
Travis, maybe those "few dealers" you refer to can come here on Net54 and tell us their story.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

there is another related point that is important, and that anything that gets a psa or jsa cert cannot be booted off of ebay, even if it is obviously fake. And that is just as concerning as anything else.

I have seen both a jsa and psa certed 8 x 10 signed joe louis photograph, (400 dollar plus items), both totally bogus, that wouldnt get taken off of ebay because they have a coa from an ebay pre-approved authenticator. i could show them my joe louis signature study all day long and go point by point and ebay isn't going to do anything.

that's a big problem too. so even more problematic than items requiring jsa or psa to sell on ebay are items that are jsa or psa but fake but can't be taken off ebay. ebay is a terribly flawed system.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
there is another related point that is important, and that anything that gets a psa or jsa cert cannot be booted off of ebay, even if it is obviously fake. And that is just as concerning as anything else.

I have seen both a jsa and psa certed 8 x 10 signed joe louis photograph, (400 dollar plus items), both totally bogus, that wouldnt get taken off of ebay because they have a coa from an ebay pre-approved authenticator. i could show them my joe louis signature study all day long and go point by point and ebay isn't going to do anything.

that's a big problem too. so even more problematic than items requiring jsa or psa to sell on ebay are items that are jsa or psa but fake but can't be taken off ebay. ebay is a terribly flawed system.
You are unfortunately correct.
--
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Dan Bretta

I've sold more than a few autographs on ebay...at least a dozen minor league team signed balls, a 1930's Brooklyn Dodgers team signed ball, a Kennesaw Landis signed document, and signed letter, a Lefty Gomez single signed ball...NEVER have I had a single one of them certified by anyone. I simply guaranteed they would get a cert or your money back...never got a single autograph back.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM

For honest sellers of authentic autographs on eBay, the following go a long way: 1) Big clear images-- give bidders (many knowledgeable, many knowing what a real versus fake Nolan Ryan or Dizzy Dean or Joe DiMaggio signature looks like) a good look and give bidders confidence in you as they see you're wiling to give an up close look, 2) Good return/authenticity guarantee. Big clear images can never be underestimated. A good feedback/reputation as a seller also helps the cause.

Last edited by drc; 10-30-2011 at 09:07 PM.