NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Remorse

Let's collectively explore this topic and consider your hobby history to do so.

Do you suffer more from Buyer's Remorse?

1. Realization of overpayment soon after a purchase
2. Engage in an auction "bidding" war and end up regretting winning the auction
3. Making a purchase late one evening under the influence of a stupefying substance and wonder when it arrives "Why the hell did I buy this?"
4. A market "bubble" bursts within months of a purchase devaluing your purchase by 50% or more
5. You suffer from spousal abuse when your hobby appetite cuts into your grocery budget.
6. How about placing a bid on a lot in an online auction that you realize is too high after placing the bid and then praying until the end of the auction that there is a greater fool than you out there who will outbid you?

or

Do you suffer more from Seller's Remorse?

1. Realization that the buyer pool contains no one that agrees with your asking price.
2. You sell an item for fair market value and one year later the fair market value has doubled
3. The item you have sold disappears into a postal black hole and you have to refund the payment.
4. Your hobby focus is fluid and when you sell an item, you are fine, but later you have an uncontrollable urge to purchase the same item again for a lot more than your paid initially.
5. You're no longer a kid and move on to other mature pursuits, so you consign your whole collection. Five years later you stumble onto Net54 and get reinfected.
6. Have you ever sold a card and experienced remorse before you mailed it?
7. What about listing a card on BST and receiving 7 "I'll take it"s in 15 minutes, realizing after the fact that its current market value is three or four times the listing price. Ouch!!!
8. Have you ever sold a card to someone and then at some point in the future bought the very same card back from the same person for more than you sold it for?

or

Do you suffer more from opportunity lost remorse?

1. The card you didn't buy before it appreciated.
2. The card you didn't sell before it depreciated.
3. The auction house overbid after you fell asleep or passed out.

These are just examples, but more will be added to this post from time to time as they appear in this thread. Initially the hobbyist is a buyer in most cases, spurred on by the thrill of the hunt and the acquisition of treasures. At some point though the closet is full, or the man cave is full, or the house is full, and selling becomes a necessity. If life intervenes and selling is necessary to fund other immediate needs, remorse can be both a sentimental and financial disaster.

Please share your remorse. If it is too painful, consider this thread to be an AA meeting. Finding someone like yourself in the hobby can be reassuring and therapeutic perhaps or not.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-13-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Paul

Default Remorse

These are the ones you identified that I experience, in order of most pain:

1. Sell an item for fair market value and one year later the fair market value has doubled
2. Realization of overpayment soon after a purchase
3. Realization that the buyer pool contains no one that agrees with my asking price.
4. Your hobby focus is fluid and when you sell an item, you are fine, but later you have an uncontrollable urge to purchase the same item again for a lot more than your paid initially.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Robert Williams

I have done #1 so many times it's not even funny
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

My biggest regrets are cards I did NOT buy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Bill Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This and over paying for what I do buy.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Same here.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 PM
octavio ranzola

frank is funny
Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I occasionally 'do a number two' from the first list....

...but frequently do numbers three and four from the second list.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

For me it's the following:

Buyer's Remorse

Seller's Remorse

2. You sell an item for fair market value and one year later the fair market value has doubled
Old 04-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

or you realize by the time you hit your 70's, theres nobody to pass down your cards to.
So, you quickly hit the dating sites, and realized no 70+ yr old women is getting pregnant. So, if i read about a dirty old grandpa, its defintely gonna be a Net54 member.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 PM
Tony Colacino

Default Well

Well, definitely buyer's remorse, and it's usually #2 due to #3.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

not really baseball related, but "remorse" related.

so I've never been one to stop like when someone is pulled over on the side of the road and having car trouble.

and a month or so ago i went past a person, should have stopped and then it ends up bugging me that I didn't, like would the extra 10 minutes really have killed me, so next time I said to myself I'm stopping. I'm going to be THAT good person.

so this week guy is in the middle lane car dead, he obviously needs help getting the car pushed off the main road. here is my chance.

then i look and its raining pretty good, so I didn't want to get all wet. so i drive on.

but NEXT one, I'm helping.

to be continued....
Old 04-10-2019, 02:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I have remorse of opening this thread
Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Have you ever sold a card and experienced remorse before you mailed it?

How about placing bids in an auction that you realize are too high and then praying until the end of the auction that there is a greater fool than you out there who will outbid you?

What about listing a card on BST and receiving 7 "I'll take it"s in 15 minutes, realizing after the fact that its current market value is three or four times the listing price. Ouch!!!

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-10-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Shain

#1, 2 & 3 big time for me regarding buyers remorse!! Beginning around July 2018, I began compulsively buying up cards in a frenzy. I had saved up a good chunk of money over the years and figured I never treat myself so why not build a collection now, something I always dreamed of as a poor kid? But little did I know what started off with a 1941 Play Ball Dimaggio and Teddy ball game, would eventually lead into me buying most of the 1941 play ball set, many 1948 Bowmans, then many 1952 Topps, then numerous vintage HOF rookie cards

After buying a ton of cards I finally learned about vintagecardprices.com and realised I had wayyyyyy over paid for many of my cards, with respect to the VCP price gauge. Not to mention I was buying the grade, not the card (centering, corners, buying BVG instead of PSA or SGC). I exhausted most of my savings. Took a couple months off, built a little savings back up, then dove in head first harder than ever LOL!

Bought a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 2, a 33 Goudey Ruth & Gehrig. Then decided to sell a lot of cards I had previously bought to UPGRADE to higher quality/grades of the same cards, now that I knew more about the quality of the cards.

I'm now sitting on a hell of a collection, by my standards, valued well over $60K. MOST HOF rookie cards from 1948 to now I own and in PSA 5 or higher. Despite all this urge to own these cards, I sometimes wonder should I sell the whole lot and put that money back in the bank? What if this market crashes and I completely lose my tail here?! But another part of says to just hold on them, keep them in the safe deposit box until I hit my 60's and who knows, maybe they'll be worth even more and can help my family or help me retire. If we could only see the future!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Ed Jensen

I get remorse most often when I find a card I want, which I think is worth $x, but the current bid is well below $x, so I think I can steal it so I put it a snipe below the value and end up getting outbid.

Or when I run across a hard-to-find card, overbid on it, and still lose out.

These are neither buyers nor sellers remorse - but losers remorse.

But then there are those times when I put in a max bid and end up winning for something significantly less and start to wonder what the heck am I missing about this card? Thats when the buyers remorse kicks in.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:41 PM
DR
David R@tliff

I guess maybe I've done a good job of getting remorse out of my system from a collecting standpoint - possibly because my collection is still way too big?

Couple things that have worked for me:
1) I rarely ever buy something with the sole intention of resale, which I think has prevented me from making some really dumb decisions. If I do buy with resale as at least a potential motivation, it's usually still something that I'm interested in (player, team, set, something). If it doesn't fit into some portion of what I'm trying to collect, I usually just pass and that includes taking cards in trade. I do fewer deals because of this I'm sure, but it also keeps me out of deals I shouldn't be in.
2) I never think about what I sold once it's gone. If I sold it, I did it for a good reason at the time and got what I thought was fair in the sale. At that point, I'm on to the next pursuit - and experience has taught me there's always something else to pursue.

This year I did create a list of around 25-30 cards that I really want for my collection, so that's certainly focused my searching. My struggle has really been trying to keep focused on those cards, as well as being patient for those cards in the grades or eye appeal/quality that I desire.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Bingo! There are cards I didn't buy that I would really like to have owned and now know I will not ever own because they got to freakin' expensive, then there are cards that I thought were good investments but for whatever reason I didn't buy them. A dozen of the right card purchases 30 years ago (when I was busy chasing mainstream postwar cards) and I would be retired today. But in the words of the great philosopher Schlemiel of Mumzer, whadayagonnado?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-10-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Remorse? I was told by my ex to come and get my stuff because she was moving. Thought I had the time and was told they are all gone.. GONE.. Saddest day in my life.. Remorse I didn't call earlier..
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Remorse? I was told by my ex to come and get my stuff because she was moving. Thought I had the time and was told they are all gone.. GONE.. Saddest day in my life.. Remorse I didn't call earlier..
Better than if someone had stolen your stuff and left your ex I suppose.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

How about placing bids in an auction that you realize are too high and then praying until the end of the auction that there is a greater fool than you out there who will outbid you?
This has happened many times, including last month. I’ll tell the full story as soon as I can get a new scanner.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Bingo! There are cards I didn't buy that I would really like to have owned and now know I will not ever own because they got to freakin' expensive, then there are cards that I thought were good investments but for whatever reason I didn't buy them. A dozen of the right card purchases 30 years ago (when I was busy chasing mainstream postwar cards) and I would be retired today. But in the words of the great philosopher Schlemiel of Mumzer, whadayagonnado?
Really relate to a lot of that! More sellers remorse than buyers remorse.
Some specifics:

Bought a rare test issue in an auction many years ago - sold shortly after for about 2k. 10 years later the exact same card (the guy who purchased from me died) sells at auction for 23K

Bought a huge Clemente collection with a really nice 1968 3D - right around the time PSA started. I sold it raw for $6500 and was really happy about it till the guy I sold it to got it graded (PSA 9!) and a week after I sold it to him it was a 30K card.

Mom passed in 2008 - I got a little $$ as a result that I wanted to put into collectibles. I was SUPER close to pulling the trigger on a PSA 8.5 Clemente rookie for 10k - nuff said - bought some freakin comic books that have barely appreciated instead!

Passed up the most incredible 58 Kahns Clemente for ~$500 (very likely the one residing in a PSA 6 holder today)

While I have paid more at times than I believed to be fair market and felt remorseful about doing so, Almost every time I have been grateful to have "overpaid" at the time for something that today would be "stolen" for the price I originally paid.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Default Card pictured not my Morse or Re-Morse, but probably someone else's

I believe at some point I upgraded my 1911 Obak Morse of the Tacoma club, so I guess you can say I have some Re-Morse in my collecting past.

Brian (perhaps beginning to feel pre-remorse about submitting this post)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Obak11morsenotmine.jpg (39.7 KB, 599 views)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:52 PM
David $tephens

I have both buyers and sellers remorse regularly. To the point my wife and kids can tell you certain cards I regretted selling years ago.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:03 AM
Jim

First part of #3 leads to #2 and ends with the last part of #3
Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Arnie

I experience STUPIDITY remorse, or LACK OF FORESIGHT remorse I guess.

Back in the early to mid 80's I had a lot of basketball, football, and ice hockey cards and it was thought that back then they would never be collectible like baseball cards and never have much value. I sold some real cheap, threw some away, and I am talking stuff that would have a ton of value today. Also did that with some baseball cards more recently that would have had a lot of value too.

How about CONDITION remorse too. When I first got into collecting around 1979 I was "mentored" by a friend who had very little money and he brainwashed me into his way of thinking which was "Why buy a card in mint condition when you can save a fortune by buying one in bad condition since the big thing is to own a card of that person". This was at a time I was fine financially and cards were cheaper anyway and I could have been buying Mantles and so on in mint condition, and it never hit me that he was like that because he had no money, so I could have had a collection worth a fortune today, but no............

Oh well, I cant change the past, and now that I know better its too late as most of my buying days are over as I am a really old fart now!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Garth Guibord

Nothing stings like remorse, but it also is an incredible teacher. I know I'm better off now for the mistakes I've made in the past, and often these lessons have value in other areas of life. A good reason to have a hobby!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Years ago MastroNet had a somewhat peculiar bid choice enter method, and I remember near the end of the auction I accidentally placed a bid with an extra digit. Think $50,000 instead of $5,000

For the record, there were no competing bids placed after that.

As far as paying too much and all that, learning from one's own mistakes is an integral part of learning. As I say, Fred Astaire probably tripped and fell many times when he started out. That's why I also tell beginner's to start out with small purchases. Buying a $20 reprint is a useful learning experience, while buying a $10,000 is a tragedy.

Last edited by drcy; 04-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Tony Conte

Default Sometimes I hate selling my cards.

When Peter bought this Dizzy Dean from me, it was about a week later I
started missing the card. Thank goodness I got it back.

Now I need to someday get back some T206's and a 48 Swell Jackie I
sold.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
Same here. I once considered selling my entire collection and using the money to hoard lower grade 52 Topps Mantles. Realistically, I probably could have picked up 6-8 additional ones had I done so. It would have been fantastic having them during the last bubble when low grade ones were bringing $10,000 a piece...
Old 04-11-2019, 08:06 PM
pete ullman

REMORSE! I have some!

Remorse over selling my childhood collection to buy a beat up 77' camaro

Remorse over trying to "invest" in baseball cards...it hasn't worked terribly well overall. Buying the cards I like has worked out much better!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Tim Odeen

Opportunity lost remorse. Not often, but occasionally. About 3-4 years ago I had to sell a card to buy a new object of affection. It took longer than I expected for the card to sell. When it did, I missed purchasing my "want" by 1 day! (a PSA authenticated b/w photo of Ernie Lombardi (signed) and Joltin' Joe at the 1939 WS). Then I had neither my previous card or my new desire.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Like a few others have mentioned, I have less regret over items I’ve bought than on items I didn’t dig deeper on. When I started my project, one of the high numbers was listed at a price that I thought the seller was California Dreaming at. It sold (this was in late 2014) and I haven’t seen another since. If I could get a mulligan on that one I’d take it in a heartbeat. On the other hand, there have been some cards I was outbid on that later (sometimes days, sometimes years) I was able to snag a better looking one for less.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:19 AM
Arnie

How about NOT PULLING THE TRIGGER IMMEDIATELY remorse.

I was at a card show Saturday, and I saw two cards I liked and wanted at one dealers table. I figured let me walk around a little and see what else is in the room. Nothing else, so I went back to the dealer.

I was 10 feet from his table when someone else walked up, beating me there by a few seconds, and of course he bought the two cards I wanted!!!

I should know from experience to buy when you see something you want and its priced right, because its so easy to lose it later as I did!!
Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 AM
D@le Irv*n

Remorse for not purchasing a 1956 Topps PSA 4 Mantle that was offered to me at a very reasonable price!
I hemmed and hawed too long so the seller, rightfully, sold it before I had made up my mind. I was given more than enough time but I just couldn't pull the trigger based on the U.S./CDN exchange rate at the time and the fact that I struggled with putting that money towards my 52 Topps collection.

Like a fool, I torture myself by looking at it occasionally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56tmantle_LI.jpg (77.8 KB, 225 views)
Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will go out on a limb and say many of us, including me, suffer from most of these (if not all of them). The real question isn't "if", it is how often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Let's collectively explore this topic and consider your hobby history to do so.

Do you suffer more from Buyer's Remorse?

2. Engage in an auction "bidding" war and end up regretting winning the auction
3. Making a purchase late one evening under the influence of a stupefying substance and wonder when it arrives "Why the hell did I buy this?"
4. A market "bubble" bursts within months of a purchase devaluing your purchase by 50% or more
5. You suffer from spousal abuse when your hobby appetite cuts into your grocery budget.
6. How about placing a bid on a lot in an online auction that you realize is too high after placing the bid and then praying until the end of the auction that there is a greater fool than you out there who will outbid you?

or

Do you suffer more from Seller's Remorse?

1. Realization that the buyer pool contains no one that agrees with your asking price.
3. The item you have sold disappears into a postal black hole and you have to refund the payment.
5. You're no longer a kid and move on to other mature pursuits, so you consign your whole collection. Five years later you stumble onto Net54 and get reinfected.
6. Have you ever sold a card and experienced remorse before you mailed it?
7. What about listing a card on BST and receiving 7 "I'll take it"s in 15 minutes, realizing after the fact that its current market value is three or four times the listing price. Ouch!!!
8. Have you ever sold a card to someone and then at some point in the future bought the very same card back from the same person for more than you sold it for?

or

Do you suffer more from opportunity lost remorse?

1. The card you didn't buy before it appreciated.
2. The card you didn't sell before it depreciated.
3. The auction house overbid after you fell asleep or passed out.

These are just examples, but more will be added to this post from time to time as they appear in this thread. Initially the hobbyist is a buyer in most cases, spurred on by the thrill of the hunt and the acquisition of treasures. At some point though the closet is full, or the man cave is full, or the house is full, and selling becomes a necessity. If life intervenes and selling is necessary to fund other immediate needs, remorse can be both a sentimental and financial disaster.

Please share your remorse. If it is too painful, consider this thread to be an AA meeting. Finding someone like yourself in the hobby can be reassuring and therapeutic perhaps or not.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

The thing that I've suffered from more often than those listed is buying a card that I thought was one thing, but turned out to be something else. It mainly happens with the modern issues, and is why I've stopped purchasing anything more recent than 1980s junk wax. The last lot this happened to me on was a lot of 4 2013 bowman aaron judge cards that for some reason I thought were bowman chrome. Apparently there's a huge price difference, and I basically paid bowman chrome prices for bowman paper cards. Oops, lesson learned.

Last edited by bensie; 04-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
The thing that I've suffered from more often than those listed is buying a card that I thought was one thing, but turned out to be something else. It mainly happens with the modern issues, and is why I've stopped purchasing anything more recent than 1980s junk wax. The last lot this happened to me on was a lot of 4 2013 bowman aaron judge cards that for some reason I thought were bowman chrome. Apparently there's a huge price difference, and I basically paid bowman chrome prices for bowman paper cards. Oops, lesson learned.
You think that's bad? You should see the lot of 4 M116 (not T206 -- oops) Honus Wagner portraits I bought for $2,000,000 a few weeks ago. Nice centering and all, but I don't think I'll be getting that money back.