NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-28-2019, 07:10 PM

Default Incredible Old Baseballs Need Some Insight

These showed up at an auction in a box lot. Anyone have any idea what they are from. The script on them is amazing . One of the balls has a makers mark but its very slight and I cant make out anything with a loupe. Any help with the hsitory of them, value, etc..... would be greatly appreciated. Ive been looking them up for about 2 hrs now and have nothing concrete.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:57 PM
David Linardy

Default Baseballs

I think they are trophy balls out of massachusetts. Worcester academy vs cushing academy (two of the
Oldest private schools in the state) and worcester academy vs springfield college (ma)

Any other clues in the box lot?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
I think they are trophy balls out of massachusetts. Worcester academy vs cushing academy (two of the
Oldest private schools in the state) and worcester academy vs springfield college (ma)

Any other clues in the box lot?
None at all , they were in a lot with stuff from a naval aviator that was from that area. I think your spot on with the schools......

Last edited by hanes1111; 10-28-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Bobw

Default Boxscore's for the two balls

First ball
June 6, 1914

Second ball
May 23, 1914

Old 11-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
First ball
June 6, 1914

Second ball
May 23, 1914

Bob - how do you (and others) find these old newspaper box scores?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 AM
Mattias Hult

Can't answer for Bob, but I use this page alot:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

(Use the advanced search tab for specific date)
The word match search works very well I think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-03-2019, 04:35 PM

wow, you guys are the best! Thats incredible. Bob your nothing short of being "The Man". Im assuming that these have some value for display or just simple history . Wish I could find the rosters.......Im going to do some more digging tonight. Thanks for all your help guys !
Old 11-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Bobw

Default Team Photo

Here is an image of the 1914 team but I didn't post it earlier because of the poor quality....

Old 11-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-

Great trophy baseballs! Connie Mack's son went to Worcester Academy during that time and I also think there was a player that made the major leagues but I forget who it is. I had a scrapbook related to that school at one point but I sold it several years ago.

Alan
Old 11-04-2019, 11:38 AM

So the newspaper article with the team describes a guy as Kid Nichols who is a HOF'er who played for Boston which is relative to Worcester Academy......however I'm not sure if the dates line up. They talk about Nichols as a pitcher in the team photograph newspaper article at the end but is this the same guy? They would both be pitchers from the Boston area with the same name which seems like too much of a coincidence. Other pros that I have found from the team are Bruno Phillip Haas who has a MLB record for most walks, and Lew Malone. If it is the real Kid Nichols that would be super cool. Anyone have any idea of the values? I'm normally pretty good with finding some middle ground ballpark values but these are a little peculiar and Im not sure where a fair price would be.

Thanks again guys

Ryan
Old 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Bobw

I would doubt they are the same pitcher, the HOFer would have been 44 years old in 1914.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
I would doubt they are the same pitcher, the HOFer would have been 44 years old in 1914.
yeah your right..... think i just go super excited. Kid Nichols just seemed too odd to be both from the boston area within a time frame and both pitchers just found it to be weird.

Last edited by hanes1111; 11-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.