NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-12-2019, 02:00 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Default Pete Alonso 52nd Home Run Ball

Not vintage (unless something from a game played two weeks ago qualfies ), but definitely game-used.

MLB is auctioning Pete Alonso's record-tying 52nd home run ball, which has been signed and inscribed by the "Polar Bear."

There were no issues about authenticity because the ball hit a wall and bounced back onto the field. Here's a screenshot from the live SNY (Mets) broadcast, showing the ball bouncing back onto the field after hitting the wall...

(In the above image, the ball is the diagonal white line just above the orange home run line, over the word "care.")

After the game, the Mets tweeted a picture of Alonso holding the authenticated ball - note the hologram sticker - with the message "It's a keeper for @Pete_Alonso20!"

The reason I thought the auction might be of interest to you is that, with 43 bids in and eight days to go, the current high bid is $10,530.

You all know that I'm a Mets fan. I'm also a Pete Alonso fan, and if you don't believe me, here's proof:

If that doesn't serve as the ironest of iron-clad documentation, nothing will.

Anyway, I'm saying this because, even though it's the Mets, and even though it's Pete Alonso, and even though it's a milestone ball... ten thousand dollars for a ball from a game that was only played two weeks ago? I'm shaking my head so much you'd think I was trying to be a real-life version of my bobblehead...

Pete Alonso Autographed Game-Used Baseball - Alonso Ties MLB Rookie Record for Most HRs in a Season - Inscribed "Career HR #52, Ties Single Season Rookie HR Record" - Dallas Keuchel to Pete Alonso - Home Run - 1st Inning - Mets vs. Braves - 9/27/19
Old 10-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Mikeknapp

More power to who ever is passionate or silly enough to land it. I own McGwires Rookie HR ball #38 autographed and inscribed as such. At that time he tied the MLB record for HRs by a rookie and set the AL record. I was offered more than 10k for it before the PED scandals. I suppose I should have taken it. Oh well...

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Rob

Another stellar modern autograph.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
More power to who ever is passionate or silly enough to land it. I own McGwires Rookie HR ball #38 autographed and inscribed as such. At that time he tied the MLB record for HRs by a rookie and set the AL record. I was offered more than 10k for it before the PED scandals. I suppose I should have taken it. Oh well...
Congrats on owning the McGwire ball, that is AWESOME!

I really like that this ball is authenticated and you will receive the real ball. It ties a ML record so it should bring a ton of cash.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Larry Young

Mets fand have so little to be happy about, makes sense this ball goes for that much. What else are they going to buy modern?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Then- "It's a keeper"
A couple weeks later - "It's up for auction"

Old 10-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Then- "It's a keeper"

I think we have all had that happen. I know I wanted a fairly rare Joe DiMaggio really bad. After I got one I was like damn this is a ugly card and sold it.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
Mets fand have so little to be happy about, makes sense this ball goes for that much. What else are they going to buy modern?
I don't know, maybe the current, possibly 2x Cy Young winner? Tom Seaver? Dwight Gooden? Santana no-hitter stuff? Piazza?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Then- "It's a keeper"

Steve, at least on this forum, I can count on one hand the number of forum members who sell their 'keepers' after only 2 weeks. They exist, but they are not common. 6 months maybe, but not 2 weeks.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Steve, at least on this forum, I can count on one hand the number of forum members who sell their 'keepers' after only 2 weeks. They exist, but they are not common. 6 months maybe, but not 2 weeks.
Not gonna lie, I'm HORRIBLE with this- after the chase some things are no longer "fun"
Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanzari View Post
Not gonna lie, I'm HORRIBLE with this- after the chase some things are no longer "fun"
I think you are onto something. The chase often is most of it.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I don't think paying 10K for that ball is anywhere remotely as crazy as someone paying 25K for an Alonso or Acuna or Judge special purple refractor diamond card (15/25).
Old 10-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It just struck me as odd that a player would get a milestone ball like that, declare it a keeper than almost instantly sell it.

Flipping collectibles is one thing, but when there's that personal connection - "this is the ball that I set a record with" that seems strange.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
It just struck me as odd that a player would get a milestone ball like that, declare it a keeper than almost instantly sell it.

Flipping collectibles is one thing, but when there's that personal connection - "this is the ball that I set a record with" that seems strange.
It's raising money for a charity.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Jonathan Sterling

And there is the real possibility that now that Pete Alonso has the ball he hit for Home run 53 he could let go of Home run 52..
Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
For what it's worth, the tweet was posted by the Mets, not Alonso. Obviously "It’s a keeper for @Pete_Alonso20!" implies that Alonso was given the ball, but the actual tweet was written by whoever has the authority to write tweets on the Mets' behalf - Alonso didn't say 'It's a keeper for me!' or anything in that vein.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:26 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

With 18 hours to go - the auction is currently scheduled to end today (10/20/19) at 8.00pm Eastern time - the ball is now at $14,590.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The auction has closed, and the final price was - are you sitting down? - $27,690 (twenty-seven thousand, six hundred and ninety dollars).

The story may not be over yet, though. The last 23 minutes of the auction developed into a bidding war between two individuals (the third bidder dropped out at $15,040). However, in the Facebook group "MLB Game Used," one person said that the winning bidder is a non-payer; however, another member of the group responded that he a) knows the winning bidder, b) just texted him, and c) believes he'll pay. So we'll see what happens.

But in the meantime... wow wow wow wow wow!

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 10-20-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Belltown Vintage

To me the evidence of MLB auction results indicates that "non-paying bidder" means "MLB Shill Account". I say this because MLB Auctions requires a credit card before you can bid, and they take payment from your card immediately when the auction ends.

I was bid up on a baseball a few years ago, then the next day was told by MLB Auctions that I could have it for the high bid, even though I lost.

Not sure if the shill accounts are at the team level or MLB level.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Theoretically you could register a credit card with a limit below the purchase price. That would prevent automatic charge and result in non-payment.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Obviously, but I don't believe that is what's happening.

Also obviously, I am not involved with MLB auctions, so anything I mention is just theory. Take it as you may.