NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-24-2019, 03:43 PM

Default 1988 Score Variations

Looking back at Score's inaugural offering and I've been trying to find some of the variations where the player's name is spelled incorrectly (i.e. Terry Franconia, Dale Valle, etc.).

With on exception I haven't been able to find any on eBay or Beckett - anyone out there know how rare these might be and whether they have large premiums when actually found?

I did find two listed on Beckett, which I bought, but received the correct versions. Trying to figure this out but I'm willing to bet the dealer simply miscategorized the inventory.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Trading Card Database is pretty solid.
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Errors...123/1988-Score

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 10-24-2019, 08:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Franconia: two sold on COMC, highest price of $6.
Dale Valle: one sold on COMC for $1.27
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:18 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Franconia: two sold on COMC, highest price of $6.
Dale Valle: one sold on COMC for $1.27
I have M-I-L duty till about 2 this afternoon. I'll check either today or tomorrow to verify if all the variations are properly broken out at COMC. I think I did that once before but I'll check again. It's a nice break from breaking out variations in 1966 Bat Laffs ; 1988 Topps Big and 1989 Donruss. More breaking out will come over the years.

Rich
Old 10-30-2019, 04:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
It's a nice break from breaking out variations in 1966 Bat Laffs
How about labeling the 1940 Play Ball variations as "regular back" and "Superman ad back" instead of "A Pictorial News Record" and "Coming! That Smashing, Crashing" which nobody is using the search function to search for. ;-) You know, while you're not busy or anything.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I have M-I-L duty till about 2 this afternoon. I'll check either today or tomorrow to verify if all the variations are properly broken out at COMC. I think I did that once before but I'll check again. It's a nice break from breaking out variations in 1966 Bat Laffs ; 1988 Topps Big and 1989 Donruss. More breaking out will come over the years.

Rich
There's way more to 88 score than just the listed variations.
But probably not worth anyones time, as I'm pretty much the only one who looks for them at all.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
But probably not worth anyones time, as I'm pretty much the only one who looks for them at all.
One set I never cared for. I still have one of the sets in the plain brown box they gave employees for Christmas instead of a real bonus. Sometime I should check it out for error versions.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'll bite, what are they? Considering the other 1987-88 sets on the market, they stand out on some level and I consider it to be a cool set to collect
Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM

I have some wrong backs from 1988 Score.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I'll bite, what are they? Considering the other 1987-88 sets on the market, they stand out on some level and I consider it to be a cool set to collect
A few things.

They were die cut, and on the first cards issued the die cut didn't make a clear corner. So each card had some degree of a tuft of fiber at the corner. They looked worn right out of the pack.
After about a month or so of complaints, they "fixed" the die cutting so the gaps in the dies were about 1/4 inch in from the corners. So 8 little tufts of fiber instead of 4... (These are actually pretty difficult as they only lasted a short time. )
Third try they got it right.

And both the backs and fronts come screened differently. The halftone dots are at different angles.

I haven't checked enough to figure out if the front and rear screening is always consistent, or figure out which ways the variations come in (Or don't)

So each card might come in 6 or potentially more varieties. But 6 is almost certain. (I haven't completed a "master" set yet, I'm not even all that close. )
Old 11-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Al Richter

Steve-- please provide periodic updates on your progress
Old 11-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

My progress is very sporadic.

I have a box with a bunch of 88 score …. somewhere.... It was put somewhere during a clean up maybe 5-10 years ago and I haven't found it.
I had maybe 15-20 of the second die cuts, about half a set of the first, and about the same of the regular ones.

Then randomly browsing Ebay I spotted a boxful of the second die cuts, maybe 800? And going through them I spotted the screening differences. So I have them sorted out.
And I bought a set of regular ones since then, but haven't done any of the sorting.

Progress could be next week, or next decade...
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
How about labeling the 1940 Play Ball variations as "regular back" and "Superman ad back" instead of "A Pictorial News Record" and "Coming! That Smashing, Crashing" which nobody is using the search function to search for. ;-) You know, while you're not busy or anything.
John:

GRRRR. I'll put that back on the list. I liked that because it showed the actual, you know, difference. At least that change is easy because I can copy and paste and not move all the cards. OK I updated the 40 Play Ball since that was easy copy and paste.

Today's fun one hour projects were breaking out and fixing 1991-92 Bob Cousy Collection and 2003 SPx Winning Materials and 1974 TCMA 1934 St. Louis Cardinals (Forgot if the 34 Cardinals or the Gashouse Gang version.) Young Mr. Aronstein would be thrilled we have broken out FIVE different versions of that set.

Found some new ones in the last few days in both the old and new world and the overproduced world. My afternoons are getting busy again. Just when I thought I had a break,.....

Last edited by Rich Klein; 11-05-2019 at 08:13 PM.